Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drippings pick up much smoke flavour?

Do beef drippings from a prime rib cooked on the egg pick up much smoke flavour? I want to make gravy from the drippings but I don't want the gravy to be very smokey. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yes, if you add wood for smoke.  I wouldn't add wood.  There isn't going to be much in the way of drippings unless you cook it medium or above.  When you cut it you'll get a lot of drippings - catch them by cutting in a pan - it's great for au jus.
    I'm not going to add any wood. Straight lump. I will be putting a bit of liquid in my drip pan. So with just lump, that liquid won't get smokey?
  • I've never put any liquid in the drip pan, no real need to. I also use a reverse sear with Prime rib. Just some salt and pepper or rub (used sparingly), cooked indirect low heat, 250ish. Once internal is 115-120ish, pull it, rest it for a few while the egg heats. Then sear it to final temp. 

Because the initial cook is at a low temp, my experience is that you can expect very little au jus, however it is wise to catch what you can. The most and "bestest" dripping is when you carve, that stuff is gold. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2012

I don't see much in the way of drippings with this cook.

Here is a great recipe for au jus to use over the prime rib-

2 can Concentrated Campbell's Beef Consomme

1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup

3 Tbs butter

While the meat is cooking mix the consomme, butter, and onion soup mix in a pot and heat it until it simmers.

Strain the mixture through a strainer to remove the onion bits.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Your store or butcher will likely give you cap fat if you ask for it. It is loaded with streaks of meat. If you cut the meaty bits out and put them in the drip pan you will get loads of fond. You will have to separate the fat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Excellent idea Little Steven.
  • nolaegghead
    Your store or butcher will likely give you cap fat if you ask for it. It is loaded with streaks of meat. If you cut the meaty bits out and put them in the drip pan you will get loads of fond. You will have to separate the fat.
    Applause on the application of the word "fond". 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Somewhat related .....

I won't use the bones of a chicken I've cooked on the Egg to make chicken stock.  Even if you don't use wood chips, the cook will impart a flavor (that's flavour, LS) that I don't want in a general purpose stock.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    Rotisserie chicken from Sam's club makes a magical chikken broth.  I recall, VI, you were going to drag your rotisserie unit out of storage semi-recently.....
    edited December 2012
    nolaegghead said:  I recall, VI, you were going to drag your rotisserie unit out of storage semi-recently.....
    YES !  And, I forgot.  Thanks for reminding me..........
    (damned rum)

Edit:  I brought it down from the attic and will put a chicken in tomorrow.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious