Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a heat question

Why is it that every where I look, everyone seems to want to make everything so bloody hot with spices that their cook will tear the roof off of your mouth? Do people no longer have taste buds that can enjoy the subtle and complex flavours that more gentle spices can provide? A huge amount of heat would seem to me to overpower everything and give you nothing but a burn at both the entrance and exit of the body.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You must be from up north living in the south.

Hahahah, seriously, heat and spice is a personal preference.  Some people have WAY more tastebuds on their tongues than average - these people are "super tasters".  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

I like heat some times, and I like aromatics other times.  I don't like the feeling of flatware passing sideways through the exit ramp a day after "nacho fest", so I sympathize with ya there.  Some people can taste every spice in a dish, even if it seems overwhelming to someone who's very sensitive to heat.  If you grow up with spice, your brain learns to attenuate those senses.  It's like a dark tan.
  • Just personal preference.. I like spicy food but not super spicy. Last night had enchiladas and made mine with a tad more heat. My 9 yr old son added hot sauce to his. Everyone else was fine with the mild enchilada sauce. 

It's much like people preference on te done ness of their meat.. Most pics here show rare or med rare. I'm a medium to med well fan except on London broil.
  • You must be from up north living in the south.

Hahahah, seriously, heat and spice is a personal preference.  Some people have WAY more tastebuds on their tongues than average - these people are "super tasters".  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

I like heat some times, and I like aromatics other times.  I don't like the feeling of flatware passing sideways through the exit ramp a day after "nacho fest", so I sympathize with ya there.  Some people can taste every spice in a dish, even if it seems overwhelming to someone who's very sensitive to heat.  If you grow up with spice, your brain learns to attenuate those senses.  It's like a dark tan.
    As a matter of  fact I am from up north but I still live their. The LBGE looks great beside the Igloo. I come from a Scottish background where the only spices in the cupboard are salt and pepper and only what can be shaken onto your dinner. The land of Haggis. I have become quite adventurous in my spice selection but still and probably never will enjoy burn the roof of your mouth off heat in my cooks.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• I like a little heat, but nothing that burns while entering & exiting.  Wilma on the other hand hates spicy.  I always have to be mindful of that.  She likes a savory flavor profile, but won't tolerate much heat at all.  Just to piggyback on my thread from yesterday a little bit.  I'm looking to make Mickey's Coffee Rub and I'm having trouble finding ancho chili powder.  I have no idea if it's spicy or what.  When I get my hands on that ingredient, its spicyness will guide my hand as to how much to use.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I like a little heat, but nothing that burns while entering & exiting.  Wilma on the other hand hates spicy.  I always have to be mindful of that.  She likes a savory flavor profile, but won't tolerate much heat at all.  Just to piggyback on my thread from yesterday a little bit.  I'm looking to make Mickey's Coffee Rub and I'm having trouble finding ancho chili powder.  I have no idea if it's spicy or what.  When I get my hands on that ingredient, its spicyness will guide my hand as to how much to use.
    Hi Fred,
    It was this post that inspired my question (LOL)

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @Fred19Flintstone: Ancho is the least "spicy" spicy pepper. It has a great taste. You can get it from Penzey's online. Buy the bag and not the jar for value. Mickey's rub sounds perfect for you. I've been meaning to make it, too. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I like a little heat but SWMBO does not even like me to add black pepper. There are a lot of good recipes on here and if they call for 20 habeneros I just leave them out. You usually get a wonderful flavor but with less heat. For just mild chilli flavor use pablano's or ancho's. Even Jalapeno's are not real hot if you remove the seeds and pith
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i like spicey hot food, some times hotter is better, i get more.
    :D
    some find bell peppers spicey, its what you grew up with, but you cant make some foods not spicey, a buffalo wing wouldnt be a buffalo wing if it wasnt hot and spicey.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231

I like a little heat, but nothing that burns while entering & exiting.  Wilma on the other hand hates spicy.  I always have to be mindful of that.  She likes a savory flavor profile, but won't tolerate much heat at all.  Just to piggyback on my thread from yesterday a little bit.  I'm looking to make Mickey's Coffee Rub and I'm having trouble finding ancho chili powder.  I have no idea if it's spicy or what.  When I get my hands on that ingredient, its spicyness will guide my hand as to how much to use.

Ancho chili powder isn't too spicy. I was able to find it at Whole Foods.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    I love the spice going in but cant take it going out anymore for some reason.
  • Why is it that every where I look, everyone seems to want to make everything so bloody hot with spices that their cook will tear the roof off of your mouth? Do people no longer have taste buds that can enjoy the subtle and complex flavours that more gentle spices can provide? A huge amount of heat would seem to me to overpower everything and give you nothing but a burn at both the entrance and exit of the body.
    It's an acquired thing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Why is it that every where I look, everyone seems to want to make everything so bloody hot with spices that their cook will tear the roof off of your mouth? Do people no longer have taste buds that can enjoy the subtle and complex flavours that more gentle spices can provide? A huge amount of heat would seem to me to overpower everything and give you nothing but a burn at both the entrance and exit of the body.
    It's an acquired thing.
    So what you are saying is that you have to melt the taste buds out of your head a few times and then you need more and more of the hot stuff to taste anything at all?

• No, I'm saying that as you get used to a certain level of heat you tend to crave more. Heat accentuates flavour, it doesn't hide it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• No, I'm saying that as you get used to a certain level of heat you tend to crave more. Heat accentuates flavour, it doesn't hide it.
    You've gotta understand where I'm coming from. One of my (Scottish) mothers favourite recipes was "Mince and Tatties" (mashed potatoes with salt and cooked ground beef with salt dumped on top.) That's it ! I hated it then and have never had the urge to try it now. However that is the kind of meals I grew up with

• Hahaha. I made mince n totties for dinner last night. Leftovers going into a pie tonight.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I used to love hot n spicy stuff. But, after years of eating and drinking anything I wanted, I can no longer handle really spicy stuff anymore.....just really tears my stomach up now.

I stick to ancho and chipotle for my hot n spicy now.
  • LOL ! You have got to be Scottish yourself. How in the hell did you ever morph into a heat freak?? What part of the planet do you now hang your hat?

• My father still refuses to eat anything with Garlic in it

• My grandparents were Scottish. I grew up in a neighbourhood that was about 90% Scots immigrants as well. I am in Ontario, Canada

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'm also from Ontario. Born and raised in Ajax and Pickering and now live in a small town called Seaforth, about 45 minutes west of Stratford. I still can't handle the heat of hot peppers. SmokinDawg said earlier in this discussion "Even Jalapeno's are not real hot if you remove the seeds and pith." If you do that what are you left with? Skin?

• I grew up in Malton. Lived in a community that was built by Avro while they were building the Arrow. Most of the people that lived there were British immigrants and the majority were Scot. In Caledon now near Orangeville. SmokinDawg is correct. Most of the heat in any chili is in the membrane that supports the seeds and the seeds themselves. There is a fair amount of flesh on most peppers and if you blister the skin on high heat it will peel off. Like roasted red peppers. Much milder than the whole chili.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ah, Ajax and Pickering, the home of my ancestors, 9 generations ago, still have an aunt who lives just south of 401 - Scot and German. Spice is acquired and regional. We had a Korean student stay with us, she ate red pepper paste and kim-chi that would literally take the whole top of your head off. She found Pace salsa, medium to be too spicy. It was much milder than what she ate, it was a different. 
    SWMBO can tell if there is a single pepper corn in the soup pot, I might be able to tell you if there was a tablespoon of pepper - she has a very sensitive palate, mine not so much.
    +1 on the ancho - lots of taste, little heat. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • There is no middle ground on the hot spices.  You either love them or hate them.  You can't make it hot enough for me, however, there are limits.  I never put the nuclear stuff on a good steak or other prime cuts.  Super heat is reserved for chili, wings, chicken and most pork.  I always make some with no heat for the sissies in the family.  Make some ABT's with Habanera pepper.  They are off the chain!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • There is no middle ground on the hot spices.  You either love them or hate them.  You can't make it hot enough for me, however, there are limits.  I never put the nuclear stuff on a good steak or other prime cuts.  Super heat is reserved for chili, wings, chicken and most pork.  I always make some with no heat for the sissies in the family.  Make some ABT's with Habanera pepper.  They are off the chain!
    You callin me a sissy fella?

You callin me a sissy fella?
    I was thinking about you yesterday when I went to my local Indian place for lunch. He didn't have anything really spicy in the buffet so in addition to my dosa and tin of diced chilis he batters and fries a bunch of long chilis. He always brings me a ramekin full of diced chilis anyway and he puts them in my dosa.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sounds absolutely repulsive. What is a dosa?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    You must be from up north living in the south.

As a matter of  fact I am from up north but I still live their. The LBGE looks great beside the Igloo. I come from a Scottish background where the only spices in the cupboard are salt and pepper and only what can be shaken onto your dinner. The land of Haggis. I have become quite adventurous in my spice selection but still and probably never will enjoy burn the roof of your mouth off heat in my cooks.
    What you don't like tabasco sauce in yer stovies or yer tatties n mince?
  • Accch no. I like green, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, I like a little bit of black pepper; I will even tolerate a pinch of pepperika but I'll no have any of that bloody Jalapeno peppers from hell especially when they're still burning from the fires of hell !