Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curing and smoking ham

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
For those who have cured and smoked their own hams, have you soaked it in water for 24 hours after the cure? I know Ruhlman doesn't recommend it with ham, but I've seen others who do. If you followed Ruhlman, was it salty? I have a half in cure right now, though it won't be ready for smoke until Monday or Tuesday. 

Also, has anyone smoked without the glaze that Ruhlman recommends? I know some folks do it with precooked. Just wondering if anyone has fixed a home-cured ham both ways and which was better. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did not and it was not too salty. His bacon is for me though (and I love salt) so I'm soaking my next round of bacon. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

The Cen-Tex Smoker I've got 2 bellies hat I will pull in a couple days. How saltly was yours? I need to decide to soak in water or not.

Thanks, Bill

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    billyray said:

The Cen-Tex Smoker I've got 2 bellies hat I will pull in a couple days. How saltly was yours? I need to decide to soak in water or not.

Thanks, Bill

They were fresking salty. I did the salt box method though and I bet that had something to do with it. I'll measure next time and see how that does.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I used the measured cure on the bellies. Mine weren't too salty, but I rinsed for a good 10 minutes or so and really rubbed the surface. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    billyray said:

Thanks, Bill

I usually soak my cured pork belly before smoking. However, the last time I failed to do the soak and was not happy with the saltiness of the finished product. To compensate for the excessive salt, I had to soak the smoked sliced product just prior to the final cooking. This has reduced the saltiness to a tolerable level without hurting the overall flavor of the bacon.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    jlsm said:
    I used the measured cure on the bellies. Mine weren't too salty, but I rinsed for a good 10 minutes or so and really rubbed the surface. 

that sort of what I do to and never a complaint of too salty...i don't even rinse for nearly 10 minutes...just a thorough rinse, I'll rub any excess cure off, if any...usually all liquid when done.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jlsm said:

that sort of what I do to and never a complaint of too salty...i don't even rinse for nearly 10 minutes...just a thorough rinse, I'll rub any excess cure off, if any...usually all liquid when done.
    I'll be doing it this way from now on. If I say it's too salty, it would injure the mouths of most others who tried it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    Options

CT, Too funny. I was in my local Indian place with one of my guys a few weeks ago. My little buddy Sassik (the owner) brings out a plate of these salted chilis. My guy starts crying and I made a face that made him thinks he burned me. He always puts extra chili on my stuff. I said no it's just too damn salty! It was. I hate salt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

CT, Too funny. I was in my local Indian place with one of my guys a few weeks ago. My little buddy Sassik (the owner) brings out a plate of these salted chilis. My guy starts crying and I made a face that made him thinks he burned me. He always puts extra chili on my stuff. I said no it's just too @#!*% salty! It was. I hate salt

I'm a junkie for it.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Did I swear just there?

Steve 

Caledon, ON