Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stir-fry, Turkey Day and Bedlam Game.... Long time no post.

It has been a few weeks since I've posted anything. Daylight savings time isn't helping me with pictures of the cooks. We have solar lights on the pergola which provide plenty of light to cook by but does not help with pictures. 

Anyways I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and gave their eggs a good workout. (Ours sure did)  A few days before Thanksgiving we got the Ceramic Grill Store Spider for our large egg and tested it out with the 30+ year old carbon steel wok. It was a simple Spicy Pork in Chinese noodles. We have used the wok on the egg plenty of times but just had it on the grate and being a round bottom wok the spider was a great buy! After making sure it was up to temp it was go time. 

First the pork gets seared

Then the veggies and put the noodles which were already cooked on the stovetop inside go back in and toss the pork in and warm up the noodles. 

Simple and delicious. 

Then came Thanksgiving we had a 21lb turkey and decided to keep it simple since it was the first year to make a turkey for everyone on the egg. Simple salt n pepper rub and no smoke. 

It cooked quite a bit faster than originally planned just under 2 1/2 hours, but with the digiQ started beeping we checked it in multiple spots with the thermapen it was FTC time.

We used the eggs to keep everything warm as everyone started showing up. It was a really nice Oklahoma Afternoon. 

Here it is all carved up

So juicy, everyone said they would be ok with anyway we wanted to cook it from now on smoke, rub, as long as it was done on the egg! 
One picture of the spread and the turkey inspired veggie tray. 

It was a great day to be with family and give thanks to how blessed we are. 

Saturday was the Bedlam Game between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and while we were playing cards on thanksgiving we had the Food Network Magazine and they had a What can be wrapped in Bacon article. We decided to try that theory out for game day along with the infamous @Cazzy wings. and a couple of dizzy pig rubs on some others. Pig Shots, Moinkballs, Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers, ABTs and anything else we could wrap in bacon was on the egg. 

The Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack definitely got a workout. 

Some Broccoli and asparagus wrapped in turkey bacon on the small

Mushrooms stuffed with a jalapeño, cheese mixture

Cazzy's wings on the bottom and Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and Jamaican Firewalk on the top rack. 

It ended up being a great game with Oklahoma winning in overtime and everyone had more than enough to eat. 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    That's a feast right there! Good looking bird and great job carving. Great job and thanks for posting pics! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @cazzy Thanks, it was a great week of cooks. I forgot to post your wings lived up to the hype and were the favorite out of the group, I only got two but was very impressed. I made the marinade the night before and let the wings defrost in the fridge so they only had a couple hours, next time I will make it at least overnight. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Wow.  You were busy.  All good looking cooks !  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cazzy
    edited November 2012
    Solson005 said:

@cazzy Thanks, it was a great week of cooks. I forgot to post your wings lived up to the hype and were the favorite out of the group, I only got two but was very impressed. I made the marinade the night before and let the wings defrost in the fridge so they only had a couple hours, next time I will make it at least overnight. 

Glad y'all enjoyed them! If you really want to knock their socks off, make a double or triple batch tonight and just leave in the fridge till its time. The longer the better as you'll really get the sweet/spicy if the chili flakes have time to steep.

• Great looking cooks. Curious about the peppers. Are they the "Ancient something" ones that come in a bag or are they just small?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Solson005
    @Little_Steven Thanks, they were the ones that come in a bag, I found them at Sam's Club. I think this is the brand. http://www.wilsonproduce.com/products/sweet-mini-peppers/
  • Solson005
    @cazzy I will definitely do that for next time. 

@Village_Idiot thanks they were fun and I have a few more family members amazed by the egg. 
  • That was sort of the reason I asked. The "Ancient _____" ones are grown in Canadian hot houses. I just find that odd. I see yours were from AZ which makes sense.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    hapster said:

Man that all looks good! And a reminder that I have been slacking on my photo posts as well :)

Cough cough :D

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Man oh man have you been busy. Some great food there, for sure. I hear you about the daylight savings time. I have enough light to cook by, but not enough to get good pictures on the grill. Frustrating for sure.

Question on the stir fry...what cut of pork did you use?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Thanks @Hapster I blame it on daylight savings, but at least I'm still using the BGE multiple times a week right? or I guess according to the no pictures didn't happen rule, i'm not doing anything...  
    :-?

@Griffin they were thick boneless chops. This is the recipe I went off of and just used what I had and varied it slightly.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Solson005 said:

This is one of the best pictures I've seen posted on here in awhile.  Beautiful, thanks!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Those were some excellent looking spreads you put on! I agree, that picture of the apps is an amazing picture.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Solson005
    Thanks so much @YEMTrey and @jfm0830 the CGW swing rack was a much needed egg-cessory for us, its fun thinking of ways to fill it up and this was perfect for some football watching!