Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cazzy's wing recipe.

travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, damn it....... Lets have it already.
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I look forward to it. [-O<
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    As well as yours for the osters..
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2012
    Ingredients needed
    • Chicken wings (whole or cut to flappers and drumettes)
    • 1 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup Mirin Rice Wine
    • 1 tbsp fresh ginger root (peeled and grated)
    • 1 tsp chili flakes
    *I use this as a base and multiply quantities based on need. 

Making Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce

In a sauce pan...bring soy, brown sugar and mirin rice wine to a boil and leave on heat till brown sugar has dissolved.  Stir regularly and throughout after boil to avoid scorching. Low heat and add ginger and chili flakes.  Simmer for 10 min while stirring regularly.  Remove from heat and refrigerate. 

Marination

Marinate wings for 24 hours in chilled marinade prior to cook (the chili flakes will rise to the top so shake it up). I use a gallon bag to marinate because I like to lay bag flat and flip after 12 hours.  

Cook

Fire up egg and stabilize at 375-400.  I use a adjustable rig with a 16" drip pan and cook above the felt line.  Place drumettes on outside and flappers in the middle because it will be hotter on the outside due to the drip pan.  

This is the anal part but I find it really makes the wings tacky and layers the flavor.  At 5 min, I baste with marinade, then again at 10 min.  At 15, I flip and baste and then baste again at 20 min.  This process is why I use a drip pan cause the marinade will make your lump smoke a undesirable taste into the wings.  Your wings will be at about 145-150 and should really start having a beautiful brownish red color.  Remove at 165...I check each one then remove.  Some may go over a lil but no worry...as you know, our eggs are very forgiving.

Using different soy sauces will change the flavor a tad and you can reduce/increase ginger and chili flakes based on preference.  Feel free to ask me any questions.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    @travisstrick lmao...there you go.  Now i'm waiting on your recipe!  Tell your dad to feel free to ship me oysters so my ingredients are top quality. lol
  • cazzy
    @travisstrick lmao...there you go.  Now i'm waiting on your recipe!  Tell your dad to feel free to ship me oysters so my ingredients are top quality. lol
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
  • cazzy
    wow...I guess you can see how frustrated I was with the forum during maintenance. 

Can a moderator please remove my multiple posts??  sorry guys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Oh crazy, thought you were just building post count =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    That's on my shortlist, Cazzy.  Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 225
    Cazzy, Thanks for posting the recipe, my wife couldn't stop talking about them and she normally is not a wing eater but this might get her turned around, I will be trying this in the near future. Thanks
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    This one is bookmarked.... thanks Cazzy.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Yes..another addition to the BGE bookmark folder!
  • cazzy
    @Mickey you caught me! Lol. Next time I'll show restraint if my post doesn't go through.

Thanks guys!! I'm glad whoever tried them enjoyed them! I will say that feeding people had been a long time love for me so I thoroughly had a great time!

@Chubbs Were you at the Salado Fest? I remember Chubby's mushrooms...was that you?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nope, I wish I was there. Would have been a rough coming from SC!! I was just living vicariously through your posts...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013