Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post, First Turkey on the BGE

PiperJoe
PiperJoe Posts: 0
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello all, wanted to share my first turkey with the forum.  Turkey was brined with ' Chef JJ's Thanksgiving Turkey Brine 2012" at a class at Chef JJ's Back Yard.  JJ is a culinary partner of BGE.  It was a 14 pound bird, and brine was injected, and the bird and stuffing vegetables, herbs and citrus were left soaking in a cooler on ice for about 32 hours.  Turkey was removed from the brine and patted dry, and brine solution was strained with the solids (herbs, citrus, onion, etc.) and these were stuffed into the bird.  Stuffed bird sat in frige uncovered for 3 hrs, and then set out for an hour before cooking.  Egg was prepared with place setter legs up with standard grill atop.  Bird was placed on BGE V-Rack (it fit perfectly with end of drumsticks tucked in handle) and an aluminum drip pan was placed beneath.  I let the Egg stabilize for about an hour at 320 degrees before putting the bird on.  Total cooking time was around 4 hours and I turned the bird 90 degrees about half way through the cook.   I also prepared a bacon and shitake mushroom dressing (recipe from Chef JJ also) and finished it on the BGE while the bird was resting.    imageimageimage

Comments

• Gorgeous bird. Perfect color. I also like the old Pyrex dish and the Pfaltzgraff turkey tray. Looks delish. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    +1 on the color of the bird.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Good looking bird!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Good looking bird!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Pretty new at this BGE stuff and always appreciate the small detail like the tin pan for the drippings.  We have the rack and I am happy to be able to suggest to my customers that a disposable tin pan is the solution for the drippings.  Your turkey looks amazing.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Great looking cook, where have you been? We need more pics of your cooks. 

Welcome. 

The egg tends to be a bit warmer to the rear (hinge). Next bird try putting the feet to the hinge, you want the thighs to be at 175-180 and the breast at 160, so put "dark meat" closer to the heat....

The other option is to stand them on their heads if you have the space. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Pretty new at this BGE stuff and always appreciate the small detail like the tin pan for the drippings.  We have the rack and I am happy to be able to suggest to my customers that a disposable tin pan is the solution for the drippings.  Your turkey looks amazing.  Thanks for sharing.

You can tell your customers that the V-Rack fits perfectly in the 13-1/2 x 9-5/8" pans (or 34.3cm x 24.4cm since you are north of the border)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX