Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

He shoots...he scores!!!

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is the 1st Thanksgiving i've hosted so I guess I kinda feel like an adult now.  I will definitely classify it as a success and everyone raved about my bird...even my wife!  Every year she asks for steak but I may have turned her.

I don't think i'll ever cook poultry again without brining as it incorporated quite a bit of flavor and everything was incredibly juicy.  Next year's breast will be better as I'll ensure I cut it across the grain next time.  I should have confirmed instead of assuming it was the same way I saw it in the Chow video.  oh well, still succulent white meat!

Turkey
  • 20# bird
  • brined for 36 hours...thanks CenTex!
  • rinsed, rinsed and rinsed after removal
  • rest uncovered in fridge for 12 hours
  • slathered with a lil butter and seasoned with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
  • Egg stabilized at 400 indirect - apple/cherry chips mixed into lump
  • Rested for 35 min after removal
  • Gravy made from drippings - Used Aaron Franklin's gravy made...simple, smokey and good.

Thanks Spring Chicken!  The Chow You're Doing it Wrong Video was very helpful!!

Maple Bourbon Ham

As VI mentioned, injecting a spiral ham was pointless.  I look forward to making again using a different ham.  It was very good none the less.  Sorry for the bad picture...it fell apart when I moved it to the serving plate.

Next year, i'll try Mad Max's method but I'll still brine my bird.  Travis told me the gravy was insanely good so I'm eager to give that recipe a whirl.  

Happy Thanksgiving EggHeads!!  :)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Definitely adult stuff.  Awesome.

• Wow !  Those look great, Cazzy !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cazzy said:
    This is the 1st Thanksgiving i've hosted so I guess I kinda feel like an adult now.  I will definitely classify it as a success and everyone raved about my bird...even my wife!  Every year she asks for steak but I may have turned her.

I don't think i'll ever cook poultry again without brining as it incorporated quite a bit of flavor and everything was incredibly juicy.  Next year's breast will be better as I'll ensure I cut it across the grain next time.  I should have confirmed instead of assuming it was the same way I saw it in the Chow video.  oh well, still succulent white meat!

Turkey
    • 20# bird
    • brined for 36 hours...thanks CenTex!
    • rinsed, rinsed and rinsed after removal
    • rest uncovered in fridge for 12 hours
    • slathered with a lil butter and seasoned with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
    • Egg stabilized at 400 indirect - apple/cherry chips mixed into lump
    • Rested for 35 min after removal
    • Gravy made from drippings - Used Aaron Franklin's gravy made...simple, smokey and good.

Thanks Spring Chicken!  The Chow You're Doing it Wrong Video was very helpful!!

Maple Bourbon Ham

As VI mentioned, injecting a spiral ham was pointless.  I look forward to making again using a different ham.  It was very good none the less.  Sorry for the bad picture...it fell apart when I moved it to the serving plate.

Next year, i'll try Mad Max's method but I'll still brine my bird.  Travis told me the gravy was insanely good so I'm eager to give that recipe a whirl.  

Happy Thanksgiving EggHeads!!  :)

Cazzy,

Everything looks awesome but if I could ask you a personal favour? Please never use that slogan again while there is a hockey lockout on. Jonesing here!

X_X

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy

Cazzy,

Everything looks awesome but if I could ask you a personal favour? Please never use that slogan again while there is a hockey lockout on. Jonesing here!

X_X
    My bad LS...I assume you're feeling the same way I felt during the NFL locket so I get it!
  •  

Cazzy,

X_X
    I know!!!  I saw the thread and I opened it with GREAT ANTICIPATION!!  Sorry, but I was a little dissappointed there no hockey involved at all! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Just kidding man. Do miss the steel on ice though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Holy Moses that looks good, good job bro.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Ok, we will stop listening to Centex about your cooking. You proved him wrong with that and wings and..,,,,,,,....,,,,..,,, Very nice. Would like to add on your ham. Done many of those and a few years ago I started using only spiral hams as I liked the way your fingers could coat all the ham as (for me) injectors are worthless ($3 to $60 ones). Nice cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey, that was supposed to be private. I'm canceling my room for Salado.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Great looking cook, you are now most certainly a big boy. As long as those idiot players and owners are still arguing over profit sharing, I'm glad someone is using Foster Hewitt's famous words. And you did score twice, Turkey and Ham, one more and you would have a "hat trick"!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy

Mickey, that was supposed to be private. I'm canceling my room for Salado.

X_X
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great work @cazzy!  I can tell by the way the turkey is busting out of it's skin it was great ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    edited November 2012

Great work @cazzy!  I can tell by the way the turkey is busting out of it's skin it was great ;)

Yeah, it was fabulous!! I separated one breast, foiled and threw it in the fridge. I ran into my neighbor and asked him if he needed some food. He said "nah, I'm good, my mom sent me home with a lot of food. Oh, how did your brined turkey come out?"

Me. "Great, come try a piece?" So I properly carved 3-4 slices against the grain on the separated breast so he could share with his wife. A few minutes later, he called and said "Monica stole my turkey, can we have some more?" Monica got on the phone and said "that turkey was so good. Can I trade you some of my mother in law's turkey for your turkey?" Lmfao

I told them to come over and made them a huge plate plus three big pieces of pie. Good stuff and very flattering. :)
  • Caz, sounds like you knocked it out of the park. Congrats.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.