Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey spatchcock or not

i am getting ready to cook a turkey for thanksgiving as i am sure a lot of people on here are. last year i used a turkey setter and cooked it like that but i have a few questions this year

i have never spatchcocked a turkey before what is everyones experence with this? is it just as good? do you still use plate setter ? do you flip at all or just roast it ?

thanks ahead of time for your responce

Comments

• I use the setter, indirect and I do not flip it. I do rub the skin with a sage based rub and some corn starch to crisp it a bit. 

@Little_Steven might chime in but he does his chickens inverted on a stand, maybe he does his turkey upside down as well. 

Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@Mickey is one of our resident expert here doing spatchcocked turkeys (as well as some others) I will defer to him.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Same as Skiddy, I cook indirect (with platesetter) @ 350-400 until the breast is at 165 and never flip (cook bone side down).  You can use a traditional rub or what ever rub you like and they always come out great. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I cook direct at 400 raised to spatchcock for the past 6 years doing two or three a year. It works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Love me some spatch'd turkey! Like above indirect with a temp probe in the breast. Rubbed under the skin with seasoned butter and possibly stuffed with sausage stuffing the some olive oil on the skin S&P and herbs.

Yummm!!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • I use the setter, indirect and I do not flip it. I do rub the skin with a sage based rub and some corn starch to crisp it a bit. 

@Little_Steven might chime in but he does his chickens inverted on a stand, maybe he does his turkey upside down as well. 

Good luck!
    I have done an inverted turkey and it was great. Got 25* difference between the thigh and breast. I don't do Thanksgiving and need big ones at Christmas. I may do a small one to celebrate US thanksgiving

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Do you use the same temps as chicken, e.g. 160 in the breast?
  • If that is for me yes. Thighs and legs are better to 185

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Spatchcock turkey-easy and IMO the best way to go-LBGE here 15+#'s easily fit on the grid (much bigger and you would need to get creative). Indirect at around 350*F on the dome for around 2.5 hrs til 160 in the breasts and 180+ in the thighs.  As Mad Max mentions in his famous whole turkey cook, I ice the breasts for around 20 mins just before the cook to get the delta T.  Legs toward the back as that is the hottest part of the BGE.  Turns out great-just like the chix only on steroids :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • is there any reason not to spatchcock a 20 pound bird beyond the requirement for space?
  • Has anyone cooked 2 spatch'd turkeys on top of one another? Thinking adj rig with spider with drip pan on 13" stone filled with gravy fixings to catch drippings. I guess rotate birds halfway through? Anyone see any problem with his approach?
  • @Wayne6 Never have done two but that set up should work great.  You can rotate but I'm lazy and would just pull each bird when the temp is 160-165 in the breast. 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    @Mickey, direct at 400?  I have not spatched a turkey before, but want to.  This temp is a little higher than I might think - especially for direct vs. indirect.  Do you still find that the bird is cooked evenly vs. seared on the bottom?
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have two 7-8 pound whole turkey breasts that I'm doing this year. Think I could fit both spatched on a large grid?
    Dunedin, FL
  • muttin
    muttin Posts: 45
    ok i believe i have it figured going to spatchcock indirect at about 350 temp i have a 16 # bird and will deffenetly be cooking to temp but i am looking for an estimate on time so i know when to put it on sit down eating at noon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap said:
    Spatchcock turkey-easy and IMO the best way to go-LBGE here 15+#'s easily fit on the grid (much bigger and you would need to get creative). Indirect at around 350*F on the dome for around 2.5 hrs til 160 in the breasts and 180+ in the thighs.  As Mad Max mentions in his famous whole turkey cook, I ice the breasts for around 20 mins just before the cook to get the delta T.  Legs toward the back as that is the hottest part of the BGE.  Turns out great-just like the chix only on steroids :)>-  
    See text highlighted above for some time/temp insights-Enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Wait a second,  Cooking a spatch turkey is done indirect or direct?

I have dome a few chickens raised direct at 350 dome and they come out good.

I got a 18lb fresh turkey that I am planning on spatching on Saturday.  Direct or indirect?  I am guessing 1-1.5 hours if direct maybe?

Garnerville, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Just to add to the confusion, I'm not sure you need to spatchturk or spatchcock, although it does look great if you present it before carving. 

This is a comment from another post, cook is 350 indirect - Family is now ho hum about presentation, they just want to get into the eating. Over the past few months, I "chop shop" the bird, parted out into six pieces. (2 X leg/thigh, 2 X breast, 2 X wings).
    The leg/thighs go on first and within 10 to 15 minutes, the breasts go on and then in 10 to 15 minutes the wings. Everything cooks to the temps you note, much easier to handle and a better cook, IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Greygoose
    Greygoose Posts: 103
    edited November 2012
    This post was just what i was after. i've been spatchcocking chicken and going direct, but it looks like most are cooking turkeys indirect at 350. I'm guessing the indirect method allows you to catch dripping for gravy. Not quite sure how i'm going to handle temp differences yet between dark and white meat. i've never tried the icing method, so thats probably first on my list. I also like the "part out" idea since the damn bird just falls apart when trying to get it off the egg after being properly spatchcocked. you start to wonder about the presentation thing after a while and makes sense just to cook the parts at different times. 

also, what temps do i pull this off at if i'm going to let it rest for 2 hours before serving. i'm thinking about pulling at 150  and wrapping in aluminum foil in a warm cooler for the white meat.

any advice would be appreciated. i'm doing a 13lb tommorrow and a 18lb friday (still not sure if its going to fit spatchcocked on a large)

thanx again,

Greygoose
  • Anybody know if a 11lb turkey spatchcocked will fit on a small BGE?
  • Marcusp said:
    Anybody know if a 11lb turkey spatchcocked will fit on a small BGE?
    The reason I chop shop them is because a 13# would not fit on my MBGE and parting it out was the only solution. IMHO an 11# would be a tight fit, even parted out on a small. The wings could sit on top making a bit more room. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    10 lb...indirect @ 350. Any ideas hrs per lb...spatchcock.

Thanks
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Approx 12-14 min/pound, so a 10#er is around two hours. After 60 minutes I'd check the temp as you can always adjust it if you have to....

• robnybbq
    So to confirm so I do not mess up Thanksgiving dinner.

I have cooked spatchcock chicken at 350 raised direct for about an hour to a temp of 180.

Is Turkey different?  spatchcocked indirect for ~ 2.5 hours (18 lber)??  Or can it be done direct at 350 direct the same way or will I have burnt offerings.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    You can go direct or indirect with the turkey (or chix for that matter).  Indirect affords the way to cook/capture drippings for gravy.  Beyond that-no difference other than cook time.  Happy Thanksgiving!
  • robnybbq
    Same to you lousubcap (and everyone else)

So my method of direct for ~1.5 hours (until 180 in the thighs) is good?

Garnerville, NY
  • It seems you gear you comments using time and as an afterthought in perentheses you add the target temp.  IMO, temp is everything and time is secondary and approximate.  Gear your cooks to temp rather than time.  It sounds silly, but it's important and it makes a difference.  Happy Thanksgiving!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Today's at 400 direct
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I did the Mad Max method this time, but I think I prefer the spatchcock turkey I did three weeks ago.  My only problem is making gravy without drippings or a pan with tasty bits of crud in it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843

I did the Mad Max method this time, but I think I prefer the spatchcock turkey I did three weeks ago.  My only problem is making gravy without drippings or a pan with tasty bits of crud in it.

I did a gravy from cooks illustrated that doesn't involve drippings from your turkey. Basically you'd take the neck back tail wings and giblets and roast with some veggies. It was fantastic, I'll post recipe if you want for next time.
    Dunedin, FL