Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I smoke a turkey using a V-Rack?

Options
Most of the the posts that I have seen about smoking turkey have shown the pictures of birds on the pedestal upright roasters.  I would think it would be fine to use a V-rack, but would like for someone who has done a turkey that way to reinforce my thinking.

Also what is the heat range that most of you shoot for with a turkey.

TIA

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2012
    Options

Yes, we use the v-rack along with the BGE drip pan in the large.  It can handle a 15lb bird comfortably.  We cook at 325/350 indirect.   We pull when we get a 160/165 IT in the thigh meat. We have been cooking the 13/15lb birds in under 3 hours.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• calracefan
    Options
    Yep , been there done that , turned out great!
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Yes you can, did it last weekend
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is a popular method using a more standard setup. 

Note in the pics MM is using a trivet so you can't really see it, but a V-Rack over the pan would work just fine as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Thanks to all for the good answers.  Going to do one this weekend.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i'm all rib rack every year for at least 7-8 years. works great
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'm "All In" like a newly released book :)) with trailers.  Been slow roasting/smoking turkeys on various equipment for 30+ years-only screwed it up once-and it was the Indian not the arrow!  You've got all the toys to hit the home-run. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm "All In" like a newly released book :)) with trailers.  Been slow roasting/smoking turkeys on various equipment for 30+ years-only screwed it up once-and it was the Indian not the arrow!  You've got all the toys to hit the home-run. 
    and it was the Indian not the arrow! 

lou, that's what I tell my boys about their golf clubs!!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Duganboy said:
    lousubcap said:
    and it was the Indian not the arrow! 

lou, that's what I tell my boys about their golf clubs!!!!
    "Oh, come on Dad! If these clubs were bent to my lie, and the shafts were spine aligned I could hit them better!"
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio