Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Spatchcock chicken...Have question before cooking.

I am going to try my first Spatch on my MBGE. I have already cut and flyed the chicken and it will set overnight in the fridge. Usually when I do a chicken I put in my cast iron roaster with the root vegatables and let it roast at 425 for an hour and half to two hours. I am trying maybe to duplicate that. I was thinking of putting the veggies in round cake pan on the grate and then placing my mini grate on top of the cake pan and place the spatch. Do you think that this will work and give me similar results? I was thinking of using the same temp, but since at this point it will be direct or almost direct with only the pan deflecting the heat I am wondering if I need to alter the temps. Experts please guide me.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    I have never had the results I wanted using a direct spatchcock set up - probably just me. I use indirect, with a drip pan on the setter, grid temp about 375-400. Veggies and potatoes just roll around beside the bird, no pan for them. Total time is between 60-80 minutes.

Lately, we have parted the bird (we call it chop shop chicken) 2 breast, 2 legs and thighs, 2 wings. Dust it all with rub/corn starch, spritz of oil. Put the legs on first, 10 minutes later the breasts, 10 minutes later the wings, take it all off when internal temps are right 175 for legs, 160 for breasts - usually about an hour total. Load the veggies when appropriate so they don't overcook. Skin is crispy and really good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    No eggspert here-but your set-up sounds like it will work just fine although I cook spatch chix direct (but raised gird) at about 350*F on the dome.  I would take the temp down to around 350-375 but always cook to finish temp-160 in the breasts and 180+ in the thighs.  Give it a shot-chix over veggies is a great cook. But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I go indirect, chicken on grid with a pan of large cut veggies on foil balls underneath the chicken on the place setter. The veggies are rolled in evo, s&p and a little chicken broth in the pan. Watch the veggies that they don't get mushy. I cut them large and that helps...or take them off early
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I go indirect plate setter legs up, chicken on the grid breast up at 350 degrees. Use a temp probe to get breasts to 165.  Comes out juicy and delicious!

Usually I liberally coat both sides of the chicken with olive oil, followed by rub on both sides.  Just salt and pepper works well too. Usually do 2 chickens and either give one to a friend,neighbor, or have company over.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Raised direct @ 350 for me, about an hour.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Rookie here so forgive the rookie-question; 

but, wouldn't cook the whole bird on a roaster (with juices in the roast holder ala "beer can bird") vs. spatch'ing the bird make it more juicy?

I ask because we are definitely doing a bird this week and can't decide - probably gonna do both!  :)

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Read this article on beer can vs. spatchcock.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I can't be very specific, having not done something exactly like what you describe.

I know there have been quite a few instances where people cook the veggies underneath the meat, letting the drippings flavor the veg. But I have doubts about re-creating what you are doing in the kitchen oven. Anything in a direct line w. the coals is going to get very hot. Most of the heat in the lump generates is in IR. The bottom of the cake pan will get the main blast, and the chicken will be in the shadow. At 425, I'm sure the chix will turn out OK, but the vegs in the pan m,ay be over done.

The closest I've done is to do a spatch'd chicken raised, direct, dome around 400. Next to it, I have placed vegs w. oil and spices in a HD foil pouch. The vegs are usually sizzling by the time the bird is done.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Rookie here so forgive the rookie-question; 

but, wouldn't cook the whole bird on a roaster (with juices in the roast holder ala "beer can bird") vs. spatch'ing the bird make it more juicy?

I ask because we are definitely doing a bird this week and can't decide - probably gonna do both!  :)

Not certain why, but spatch'd always seems juicier to me than BC. FWIW, higher humidity actually slows the cooking. The moisture doesn't transfer the heat as well as dry air. In the end, that meansof 2 meats w. the same internal temperature, the one cooked in moisture will have been cooking longer.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492

I love doing veggies under the bird.  Have noticed though that both the bird and veggies could use a little time apart at the end for crisping purposes and also as good practice if there were any raw juices that got mixed in.  I solved this by flipping the bird and stirring the veggies a few times during the cook.
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook