Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The egg has wings!

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited November 2012 in Poultry
Tossed the wings with dizzy dust.  Cooked indirect @400F for 60 minutes.

Comments

• paqman
    Options
    Finished product

imageimageimage

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Verdict?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Bear02
    Bear02 Posts: 23
    Options
    Did u have to turn them or did you leave them alone 

• paqman
    Options
    They were verry good.  I did not turn them.  I used to be doing them raised direct.  They taste much better indirect with added bonus of not having to turn them.

Look awesome!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • trip150
    Options
    wow!  looks great
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wangs look great!  I prefer indirect myself...just because I am an absent minded cook and indirect is more forgiving.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    edited November 2012
    Options
    From the looks of that last picture they must have been as good as they looked! I've been going indirect myself, found that they sell 3 packs of disposable pizza pans at the grocery, they fit perfectly on the plate-setter to catch the drippings
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Hard to beat egged wings. Looks like they came out perfect.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Were they nice and crispy? That is always my biggest concern. I typically get my turkey fryer out and heat the peanut oil and drop them in there like that, then toss in my bdubs sauce. However I would much rather egg them as long as they are crispy.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Must be lunch time. Those pics are making my mouth water. Nice.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Were they nice and crispy? That is always my biggest concern. I typically get my turkey fryer out and heat the peanut oil and drop them in there like that, then toss in my bdubs sauce. However I would much rather egg them as long as they are crispy.
    You can add a bit of corn starch to the wings before cooking and it will crisp the skin up very nicely. Little Seven turned me on to this trick (makes me puke to give him any credit at all but I owe him after accusing him of reconditioning snow machine parts for money) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paqman
    edited November 2012
    Options

From the looks of that last picture they must have been as good as they looked! I've been going indirect myself, found that they sell 3 packs of disposable pizza pans at the grocery, they fit perfectly on the plate-setter to catch the drippings

They were great. Super crispy.

I use a SS drip pan that I cover with aluminium foil so I never have to wash it... I got the pan from the ceramicgrillstore.com

Options

They came out perfect. Any temperature from 400F to 500F for 45-60 minutes and they always come out perfect. When doing them indirect, I don't even have to turn them... I guess you could just toss them in BBQ sauce after cooking them on the egg. Personally, I like a dry rub and dipping them in sour cream + Frank's red hot sauce.

edited November 2012
    Options

You can add a bit of corn starch to the wings before cooking and it will crisp the skin up very nicely. Little Seven turned me on to this trick (makes me puke to give him any credit at all but I owe him after accusing him of reconditioning snow machine parts for money) 

LOL I'm from Canada as well and it was snowing a few minutes ago...

I will adding corn starch for sure. Someone also mentioned milk powder but I haven't tried it yet. The protein from the milk powder would apparently be helping with the maillard reaction; it makes sense. I think that the fact that I use a dry rub helps getting a crispy skin because they always come out perfect without using any other trick...

Options
    Do you use anything in particular to make the dust stick to the wings?
  • paqman
    Options
    Plano_JJ said:

Do you use anything in particular to make the dust stick to the wings?

No, I just place the wings in a ziploc bag and toss them with the rub. After they are on the egg, I sprinkle some more rub directly on the wings over the grill.

I wanted to chime in and say I tried your corn starch idea and it worked like a charm! Skin was really crispy. Great tip!
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    I also do them with DD but I give a real light coating of EVOL.  300 for 45 minutes, flip and about another 45 minutes.  I sometimes finish on the gassert for two minutes a side to crisp up.  Not really necessary.  I really want to try the corn starch idea as well.  Just sprinkle a bit on each side?
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • SmokinBandit
    Options
    Not to answer for The Cen-tex Smoker, since it was his tip that I used, but I just added it to my seasoning.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Got it, Im ready to go. Thanks.
  • BeerNBBQ
    Options
    I still say wings off an egg are probably the best ever made. You get the best of both worlds.. Crispy and they fall apart.
    Braselton, GA.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Still some meat on those bones. Look great though. I may have to do some wings this weekend.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Newbie here with a couple questions. First, how do you start a post of your own? Stupid question I know. Second, when cooking (wings in this example) and someone says 400 for 45 minutes does that include the time to get back up to temp? Or is it referring to 45 min after the egg gets back to 400. Thanks in advance.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • paqman
    Options
    tulocay said:

Newbie here with a couple questions. First, how do you start a post of your own? Stupid question I know. Second, when cooking (wings in this example) and someone says 400 for 45 minutes does that include the time to get back up to temp? Or is it referring to 45 min after the egg gets back to 400. Thanks in advance.

Wait for the egg to stabilize to the chosen temp then open it, place the wings, close the egg, it will go back quickly to the temperature it was stabilized to... The clock starts as soon as the food is on the egg.

Options
    Thanks for the advice.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    tulocay said:
    Big green rectangle with "New Discussion".  Click on it and don't forget to pick a category.
    Options
    Thanks. Glad it wasn't a snake!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    the Gnome will do anything for a dollar or two. Ask Fidel