Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nooooooo! Cracked!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Ouch! Condolences. While I'd bet the warranty will get worked out, having an Egg go so suddenly must be a pain.

• The egg just pounded away all night. butts are doing great. I'll work on the warranty stuff today. i've had great service from my dealer here in Austin (BBQ Outfitters) even though I did not buy this egg there (I have bought others there). I'm sure it will work out. I've had nothing but great service from BGE in the 9 years i've owned it. I'll keep you posted.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    edited October 2012

i have had a similar crack in my egg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l213/tbente/Cracked%20egg/crackedeggthurs002.jpg

it was covered under warranty. i took mine to atlanta and they handed me a new one. i know being in texas that is not a option. but im sure you will get something worked out

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Wow.  Sorry to hear about this.  I will be very curious to see how BGE manages this.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • DonWW said:
    Wow.  Sorry to hear about this.  I will be very curious to see how BGE manages this.
    I'm sure they will handle it. They replaced all my insides no questions asked earlier this year
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    DonWW said:
    I'm sure they will handle it. They replaced all my insides no questions asked earlier this year

Replaced all your insides ?? Too much Hooch??   =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    DonWW said:

Replaced all your insides ?? Too much Hooch??   =))
    If you only knew.....................funny though
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Trust me bro I know.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478

Cen-Tex sorry to hear about this however, I feel sure BGE will warranty with no questions asked.

Anytime I had an issue they were A-1 no problems. 

Lenoir, N.C.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I feel your pain Cen-Tex.  I did some butts Friday night into Saturday and noticed a bunch of liquid under the egg on Saturday morning.  It's not unusual to get condensation dripping out of the Guru adapter, but this was different and there was quite a bit.  I did some ribs Saturday afternoon and when I finished I opened the vents and let it burn out.

Sunday morning I was cleaning up with my shop vac and noticed a crack in the base.  I removed the fire box and found that the crack runs clear across the base of the egg, from the lower vent clear to the other side.  The good news is I have my original receipt and copy of my warranty registration.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Too bad, sometimes life just throws you a "turd", and not an atomic one. 

9 years ago, did you register it? It would be nice to find out how BGE handles for you, report back when you have more info. Trust it will all work out.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Too bad, sometimes life just throws you a "turd", and not an atomic one. 

9 years ago, did you register it? It would be nice to find out how BGE handles for you, report back when you have more info. Trust it will all work out.
    I'm pretty sure I registered it. It's been a long time and I've had a lit if Tito's since then
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Look at the bright side you'll end up with a nice green flower pot
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I'd contact the dealer for documentation of the purchase and contact BGE as well.  They will probably replace the lower half as it should not have cracked, regardless of temp.  If you can't get documentation, contact BGE anyway.  From others' stories, they will go the extra mile to keep you happy.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What unit of measure is a lit?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I dunno, but I'd guess from the context that it's a lot.
    I was thinking like an Ocean container

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited October 2012

It's Texan and a measure of time. It means currently and a lot.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    *burp* ...ahem...I 'gree
    Gotta be bigger than a bucketfull or a sh!tload even a lotta

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    All you got to do is tell them you're the Cen-Tex Smoker, and 'these' (this forum) are your friends!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Sucks to see brother but I am sure BGE will take care of you. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • JoeGrill
    JoeGrill Posts: 24
    edited October 2012
    I'm sure the mothership will take care of you, but What makes me feel good about this is only one person chimed in with experience on the problem. On My previous grill's forum, if some one posted a problem, the server would crash from overload! ... Ok had to hit the edit option after I saw the 2nd page. Still, all replies are positive which still makes me feel good about my BGE purchase.
  • Well, looks like all is well. It really pays to do business with good shops. My original guy in WI, BBQ Spits and Pits, had all the original sales info. He forwarded it to BBQ Outfitters here in Austin and Bob and his crew @ BBQ Outfitters are taking care of the warranty for me. Highly recommend both places. If you live in the Fox Cities, go see Chip at BBQ Spits N Pits and if you live in ATX, go see Bob at BBQ Outfitters.

Thanks all!

Should be back in biz in a week or so.

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Glad they took care of you...that's great CS from the original shop you bought it from.
  • DIXIEDOG said:
    Glad they took care of you...that's great CS from the original shop you bought it from.
    Yeah, he's a real good dude. Has a great shop too. Could not have been nicer about it and it was great to catch up with him as well. haven't talked to him in 5 years or so and it was nice to see he was doing well. I bought it from him right after he opened and moved shortly after. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Got my warranty issue resolved...LIKE A BOSS! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Got my warranty issue resolved...LIKE A BOSS! 
    ha!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    We should all have such support should we need the service-Good on ya!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scary stuff, so sorry, lookin forward to see how BGE covers it.I'll have another drink in it's honor as well!

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA