Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Chicken with White Sauce

Options

Using Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Cook Book I tried "Bar-B-Q Chicken with White Sauce" this weekend. It was my first exposure to mayonnaise-based sauce. I was a skeptic of the white sauce, but I have to say it was VERY tasty! 

Did a spatchcocked chicken for 2 hours at 350f indirect, quartered it and dipped it in the sauce.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Saw a recipe for Alabama White Sauce some years ago, having never been to Alabama had no idea if it was real or not. Found it to be really good with hickory smoked chicken on the old Weber kettle. 
    Even better on the egg. We set it out as a side dip. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    It took me YEARS to get up the nerve to try that one but when I did, I loved it.  In fact it is now one of the top two smoked chicken recipes of mine. 

But the very best chicken I have ever had was when I had some of the Big Bob Gibson style made by Chris Lilly in a cooking class.  I followed the exact same recipe twice and it still didn't taste as good as the ones he made. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    Options
    On paper that recipe didn't look good to me. Plus I am not a fan of mayo and when eating out I always have it removed from whatever I'm ordering. But like you I made the same recipe from the same cookbook this past spring and it was some great eating. The sauce was excellent.  I went back to this recipe for the first meal on my new Egg in August and it was the best chicken I've ever ever made. My wife didn't know I had gotten my new Egg that day, but she noticed the difference right away and gave me 3 OMG's followed by saying it was the best chicken she'd ever tried. 

So nice job toothpick! I am a bit jealous: Your sauce seemed to cling a little better than mine did. To anyone who is skeptical about this unusual tasting BBQ sauce, definitely give it a try. IT is a natural with chicken.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Beautiful looking dripping chicken. I'm with Chris and Jim, took me years to finally get around to trying it but it is some good stuff. You reminded me I need to make it again. Thanks.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    OK, you all have convinced me to give this a try!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jfm0830
    Options
    A word of warning to folks who try the Chris Lilly recipe from the Big Bob Gibsons BBQ Cookbook or the versions of it he has made available online. The recipe says it takes 3 hours, while I'd never spatchcocked a chicken before this I knew this had to be wrong. And it was. Mine took 1:30 & 1:45 like my BCC's always have. Toothpick said his was 2:00. But either way that isn't close to 3 hours. This comes into play because you flip the chicken at the midpoint. So don't get fooled by the 3 hour time mentioned in the recipe. Jim
  • toothpick
    Options
    Thanks for the positive remarks everyone. It really was tasty. Jim is dead on. I couldn't see how it was going to take 3 hours either. I waited for the skin to get nice, golden brown and then flipped it. I think in all honesty I took the bird off after about 1:50. By then it may have been a little bit too long--although it was still incredibly tender and juicy.

Jim, it's funny what you say about the sauce. That totally puzzled me. The sauce ran off almost completely by the time the chicken got to the table. I had a bowl of the sauce handy and kept spooning it on. We also had some hand-cut potato chips with dinner. This sauce was great on them too. Thanks again for the encouragement, guys.
  • jfm0830
    edited November 2012
    Options
    While I'm sorry to hear that you had the problem with runny sauce, I'm also glad to know it wasn't just me. The first time out I flipped the bird and sprayed it with olive oil at the one hour mark ASSuming a 2 hour cook. It took only another 30 minutes total and I guessed that that wasn't enough time to cook off or absorb the olive oil. The second time I flipped it at 45 minutes and it was on for another hour as things would have it. It was less runny, but still runny.

This time I was ready for it though. I reserved half of the sauce and poured it into little bowls for dipping at the table. The strange thing is the picture in the book makes it look like it clings to the chicken like glue. Like I said, good to know it isn't just me.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i love that sauce. my gf does not eat mayo on anything. she laid out in the sun with mayo on when she was younger and has not eaten it since. but i may get her to try it. that is a big maybe.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• scooter759
    Options

That sauce was the first recipe a tried after I got that book. Since the recipe calls for 2 cups of mayo, I just buy the 16oz squeeze bottle, mix up the sauce, and pour some right back into the mayo bottle to pass around the table.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN