Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

mushroom lovers deep dish pizza

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,299
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

One of the benefits of living in the mushroom capital of the world is that every now & then the dude across the hall that hates mushrooms gives you a 10lb box that a client of his gave to him.  After distributing some to a couple other friends I hadda figure out how to cram the rest down my gullet before they went bad, & one good way was to saute a pile to top a standard deep dish.  My deep dish pies are pretty simple & not intended to be the Chicago variety.  Between this and a couple fritattas I am happy to say I've disposed of all the fungi.

first, 2 cups of flour, a pinch each of salt & yeast followed by 3/4 cups of water, knead for 15 minutes

leave in the bowl & cover until it doubles in size

here it is after a little more than 2 hours:

enough olive oil to coat the bottom nicely

lay the dough in

shower cap back on

meanwhile, slice up the shrooms

& fire up the egg

suate

till done, at the end throw in some minced garlic, salt & pepper

remove the shower cap & get ready to top it

mozzarella & some dried herbs first, all the way to the edge with the cheese so some of it gets nice & dark during cooking:

scoop all the shrooms on

onto the egg which is preheated to about 400-450, don't forget some spacers under the pan

about 25 minutes later

bring it in & remove to a screen to cool, don't want to interfere with the crispy fried bottom

then to a tray for slicing

follow of course by, the slicing

let the lava flow

bottom shot, nice golden brown, crispy, & plenty of flavor from the olive oil

a final shot

Have a nice weekend all, Marc

Comments