Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mushroom lovers deep dish pizza

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

One of the benefits of living in the mushroom capital of the world is that every now & then the dude across the hall that hates mushrooms gives you a 10lb box that a client of his gave to him.  After distributing some to a couple other friends I hadda figure out how to cram the rest down my gullet before they went bad, & one good way was to saute a pile to top a standard deep dish.  My deep dish pies are pretty simple & not intended to be the Chicago variety.  Between this and a couple fritattas I am happy to say I've disposed of all the fungi.

first, 2 cups of flour, a pinch each of salt & yeast followed by 3/4 cups of water, knead for 15 minutes

leave in the bowl & cover until it doubles in size

here it is after a little more than 2 hours:

enough olive oil to coat the bottom nicely

lay the dough in

shower cap back on

meanwhile, slice up the shrooms

& fire up the egg

suate

till done, at the end throw in some minced garlic, salt & pepper

remove the shower cap & get ready to top it

mozzarella & some dried herbs first, all the way to the edge with the cheese so some of it gets nice & dark during cooking:

scoop all the shrooms on

onto the egg which is preheated to about 400-450, don't forget some spacers under the pan

about 25 minutes later

bring it in & remove to a screen to cool, don't want to interfere with the crispy fried bottom

then to a tray for slicing

follow of course by, the slicing

let the lava flow

bottom shot, nice golden brown, crispy, & plenty of flavor from the olive oil

a final shot

Have a nice weekend all, Marc

happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Incredible cook!  Great pictures!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Fantastic looking pie, Zip!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• man, that looks awesome!!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man that is some shroomy cheesy deep dishy goodness!   I was thinking of getting the big green egg deep dish stone, but I already have a cast iron pan.  You just saved me $60.  Good to see you back ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I want that right now! And my dinner is gonna be good...I'll post later. =P~
  • Zippylip
    edited October 2012

thanks all, and

Man that is some shroomy cheesy deep dishy goodness!   I was thinking of getting the big green egg deep dish stone, but I already have a cast iron pan.  You just saved me $60.  Good to see you back ;)

I don't know anything about the bge deep dish, but I do know that cast iron works well; I've been doing these for quite some time & they're some of the easiet pies to make consistently good - kind of like the pulled pork of pizza, hard to screw it up.  One exception is this, lean your dough towards the dry, wetter dough that's great for open air cooking on a stone doesn't do well trapped between iron & a cheese gasket, kind of turns to cement, so to keep it light & fluffy the drier the better.

Oh, and it's good to be back - someone has to keep the drunken munchkin in line

happy in the hut
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice. Great pictures.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    That is a great looking pizza, Marc.  We haven't done a deep dish pizza in a while, time to fix that. 

Now I just have to find a source for free mushrooms
    :))
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Now thats a pizza!! I love the color of the crust from that ci pan.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Holy moly! That looks awesome!

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Stinking ridiculous....  I personally prefer thin crust to deep dish, but this cook with photos is off the hook.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • =D> =D> =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Have you ever cooked anything that isn't round? You suck

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    For whatever reason, I started looking at your old discussions and I couldn't stop looking at all your cook threads.

45 minutes later, it's pretty clear to me that you are the most innovative egger I've come across on this board. Wow, push the envelope much? :D

I eagerly await your next creation Marc!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    All I can say is, there is fungus amongus. ;)
    jfm0830 said:
    Now thats a pizza!! I love the color of the crust from that ci pan.

Jim
    Jim, I agree.  The majority of the crust is like a lightly fried olive oil doughnut, and the top edge where the mozzarella seeps down & burns itself to the crust is the tastiest part of the whole pizza
    Have you ever cooked anything that isn't round? You suck
    sure, I've cooked plenty of that slop in a bucket that you've smuggled across the border & try to pass off as 'food' while you tend to whatever emergency presents itself, as if standing in the beer line amounts to an emergency
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip said:
    sure, I've cooked plenty of that slop in a bucket that you've smuggled across the border & try to pass off as 'food' while you tend to whatever emergency presents itself, as if standing in the beer line amounts to an emergency
    Hey, this guy fits right in !!!!   =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    This is going to be attempted soon, even if I have to BUY my own mushrooms. Looks amazing!!
  • cazzy said:
    For whatever reason, I started looking at your old discussions and I couldn't stop looking at all your cook threads. 45 minutes later, it's pretty clear to me that you are the most innovative egger I've come across on this board. Wow, push the envelope much? :D I eagerly await your next creation Marc!

I agree. Marc is one of, if not, the most creative cook on this board. He thinks outside the box which I appreciate.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

Wow!!!

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Griffin
    2 ?s for @Zippylip - what type of yeast and flour? AP, bread? And how long was the total rise? Oh and a 3rd one, what size CI skillet?

Rowlett, Texas

• Zippylip
    Griffin said:
    2 ?s for @Zippylip - what type of yeast and flour? AP, bread? And how long was the total rise? Oh and a 3rd one, what size CI skillet?

I use bread flour and bread machine yeast in the little jar.  Total rise is usually about 2 hours for rise #1 & another 2 hours for rise #2, but that is flexible - can be sped up in warming drawer or slowed down if it's cool out or if you use the fridge.  My pan is 10 & 1/2. 

Some time ago I posted a detailed description of many of my methods, link below.  I typically stick with my original method & not the cold rise though, it's just less of a pain in the ass.  A couple modifications since what you see there was posted:

1- I use much less yeast, about 1 teaspoon for the entire 4 cup batch;

2- no sugar anymore;

3- no 'proofing' of the yeast as seen in my original slideshow, just unnecessary;

4- no cornmeal, I've come to learn it's unnecessary.  For many years I would apply it to the peel for the first pie & by the second & third pies it would be gone & I noticed over & over that the pie slid around just as easily... I realized that the majority of my pies over the years were done without cornmeal sort of by default so I just stopped using it all together.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/987401/stage-two-pizza-dough-with-o-verbose-commentary#latest

happy in the hut
  • =D> Awesome! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Oooh looks awesome! Nicely done. I have not done the cast iron pizza. I am going to try!

• Griffin
    Thanks @Zippylip - one last question (I hope) the amount of ingredients you listed above...is that for one single pizza? I'm hoping I can try this tomorrow. Got a recipe for a spicy mussels I want to try on the Egg tonight.

Rowlett, Texas

• Zippylip
    Griffin said:
    Thanks @Zippylip - one last question (I hope) the amount of ingredients you listed above...is that for one single pizza? I'm hoping I can try this tomorrow. Got a recipe for a spicy mussels I want to try on the Egg tonight.
    If you're referring to the initial amounts in the original post, yes, 2 cups of flour does one 10.5 inch cast iron deep dish.  If you're looking however at the links to the slide shows, that is one 'full' batch (4 cups of flour) which obviously does 2 of these pies, or 1 full sheet pan (Sicilian), or 3 medium crust 'regular' pizzas on the large BGE stone, or 4 thin crust pizzas on the large.
    happy in the hut
  • Griffin
    Thanks. I was referring to the beginning of this post. 2 cups flour.

Rowlett, Texas

• Looks amazing! Very impressed.
  • I tried this dough yesterday cooked in a cast iron for the deep dish pie. The dough rose good but was almost too plain tasting - should I have added more salt or other seasonings?

Thanks and this was my first homemade dough so going through this learning curve......

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • Salt and sugar add flavor, adjust accordingly. I like my deep dish crusts a little thinner than this, the flavor comes from the fillings, the crust has a slight chew to it. I like this style of recipe, little yeast, lots of kneading, kept cool. 
    In a CI pan, I often use Crisco, EVOO works too, because the temp is lower. (<450)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!