Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate temp

Options
jscarfo
jscarfo Posts: 405
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
If the dome temp is 300 what is the grate temp? Is it hotter or cooler?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Bout 20 colder
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jscarfo
    Options
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That's only when you are indirect to be clear

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    I have found that after many hours of cooking, low and slow, the two come closer but still 20 sounds right...
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Yea I just did a indirect whole chicken t. It smells great. Thanks again
  • Eggscriber
    Options
    If you're cooking direct, food surfaces exposed to the infrared radiant heat from the charcoal will become hotter than the dome temp.  Therefore, certain foods may burn on the bottom even if your dome temp is below 400.   If you cook direct on a raised grid, things will be less likely to burn on the bottom.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hey Doc!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ChanningJohnson
    Options
    So if you're cooking a pork shoulder and your target is 220 is that the grate target or dome target. Also, can you calibrate a maverick thermometer? Mine seems to run 2 degrees hot when I tested it in boiling water. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    So if you're cooking a pork shoulder and your target is 220 is that the grate target or dome target. Also, can you calibrate a maverick thermometer? Mine seems to run 2 degrees hot when I tested it in boiling water. 
    The food is between the grate and the dome thermometer.  So it gets a range of temps...a gradient.  Recipes here should specify if its dome or grate.  If not specified, assume dome.

2 F off isn't worth calibrating.  Dunno anything about the mav calibration.  Should be in the manual.
    edited October 2012
    Options

Here's a summary of the info above-

most likely with indirect ( heat deflector in place) cooks the dome thermo will run about 20-40*f higher than the grate when starting out.  Longer the dome is shut the less the temp difference.  On direct cooks, the grate will get the full measure of heat from the lump and the dome will be lower than the cooking surface.  Raised grid- gets you further from the lump and closer to the dome temp.  You have at least one thermometer to run this BGE with.  Make sure it is calibrated and get comfortable with what the number it gives you means relative to the method you are using to cook.  Usually recipes that mention temperature refer to dome unless otherwise noted.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Here's a summary of the info above-

most likely with indirect ( heat deflector in place) cooks the dome thermo will run about 20-40*f higher than the grate when starting out.  Longer the dome is shut the less the temp difference.  On direct cooks, the grate will get the full measure of heat from the lump and the dome will be lower than the cooking surface.  Raised grid- gets you further from the lump and closer to the dome temp.  You have at least one thermometer to run this BGE with.  Make sure it is calibrated and get comfortable with what the number it gives you means relative to the method you are using to cook.  Usually recipes that mention temperature refer to dome unless otherwise noted.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-enjoy the journey!

+1 - well said. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    And just so we are politically correct the grate is the thing that sits at the bottom of the firebox...the grid is the cooking grid. It makes it easier if everyone accepts that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON