Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken or the Egg?

meatshop101
meatshop101 Posts: 33
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wondering how many of you do poultry in your egg or if that's kind of like putting ketchup on a good steak?!

I'm finally adding a poultry area to Meatshop101, and I'm looking at linking back here for info and maybe to appropriate pages where the Egg is sold.

Thanks all, happy Halloween month, isn't it great to be rolling on in toward the holidays?!!
E Turner

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I cook chicken more than anything else. Spatchcock, wings, smoked thighs, etc.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If the relative number of threads started for poultry, pork and beef are any indication, it's popular:

Poultry 221
    Pork 396
    Beef 287
    Chicken is best done on an egg. One of the things the Egg does best.
    Boom
  • SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    I'm a new eager but not new to grilling. Four cooks on the egg and two have been chicken. The wings I cooked last night were the best I have ever eaten. Ever...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Does a bear.....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Chicken, turkey, cornish hens, quail, pheasant, dove, duck and goose are all better than any other way

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hotrodden
    Hotrodden Posts: 16
    edited October 2012
    How does a chicken start and end it's life? In an egg! ~:> =))
    Lets keep the beer cold and the eggs burning!
  • Love chicken on the egg! My egg was still nice and hot after my brisket cook today so I put a 4.75 pounder on for the neighbors - can't be that bad living next to me!
  • My neighbors rave about chicken from my egg.  Moist with crispy skin.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    By far the BGE does the best work with poultry-the moist cook style elevates the results way above any other method.  And the other critters it cooks turn out off the charts as well.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54, thanks I appreciate that feedback!
    Eric
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160

Cook anything you like in the egg. It can cook anything and chicken/turkey do great along with pork, and beef :D

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Although I really like poultry on the egg, I must tell you that my wife and the vast majority of her family do not appreciate the "smokiness" that it imparts to chicken and turkey no matter how I cook it.  It doesn't bother them near as much when I cook beef, pork, pizza or even lasagne.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    mokadir said:
    Although I really like poultry on the egg, I must tell you that my wife and the vast majority of her family do not appreciate the "smokiness" that it imparts to chicken and turkey no matter how I cook it.  It doesn't bother them near as much when I cook beef, pork, pizza or even lasagne.
    Change your lump and cook it indirect at a higher temp, 400-450. No smoke. 
    Poultry is the easy, fast great tasting egg cook.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Did a chicken last night...outstanding! Sprinkled salt on and let it sit in the fridge over night. Rubbed some herbed butter under the skin, then on the outside and sprinkled with pepper. Used just a small handful of hickory chips. Cooked indirect at about 300. Simple and very tasty. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

We grill or smoke poultry about 60% of our cooks.  Tonight I'll make chicken cordon bleu for my mother in law.  Use a honey and mustard marinade and dipping sauce..  We do a spatch **** or beer can chicken at least once per week.  Marinated chicken thighs with tiger sauce a couple of times per month.  Haven't done a duck yet.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Nola, thank you for that breakdown, I see that I was way off the mark!  I am really looking forward to having my own.  Egg that is.
  • Sig, now you're getting me excited...I can eat wings with the best of'em!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Sig, now you're getting me excited...I can eat wings with the best of'em!
    @Meatshop101, if wings are your thing, try Cazzy's wings - they are legendary!
    Easy to prepare, done either direct or indirect, whatever you are comfortable with and the results for us have always been great. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mokadir said:
    The taste of burnt chicken fat smoke is no bueno, so, I actually cook a chicken on the egg like I do in my oven: chicken placed on vertical roaster breast down legs up. 

Egg set up is: indirect using woo, pizza stone on the lower woo rack, on top of pizza stone I place a cooling rack and then the drip pan on the rack, second grate at felt line and the vertical roaster placed on the grate .  

If you are going to use the drippings to cook veggies then you are good to go.  If you will not be cooking veggies in the drippings then add a layer of table salt to the bottom of the drip pan to prevent the fat from burning.  

If you don't have a woo, use whatever you have on hand to get the second grate to the felt line...(partially crushed beer cans are excellent) 

There should be no smoke coming from the egg when you start the chicken.  
    Starting temp is about 425 when I put the cold chicken on the egg.  The temp will drop and i close the lower vent to maintain 350 +/- (I don't use the Daisy wheel).  

Now if I could just figure out how to get the egg to crisp up the skin like the dry heat in the oven does, then, I will have attained egged-chicken Nirvana 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you let the chicken sit uncovered overnight before cooking your skin will be crispy.
    Yeah 30% or so of your cooks are chicken.

Do it the easy way, it will be the best and most moist chicken you ever had.  Just cook direct, about 375. One hour and five minutes. Raised grill to the felt gasket height - put the first grate in, add three bricks around the perimeter, cast iron grate on top. See naked whiz: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Rubs could be a wide variety - I like the idea from Eggbertsdad, but haven't tried it yet. The DP Jamaican Firewalk is outstanding also.

Agree on the uncovered chicken overnight (in the fridge......), but have not done a controlled double blind taste test on that yet.
    LBGE
  • Bayside, you are seriously making me hungry now with that crispy skin visual.  
  • Wow, Austin, that was quite a breakdown, looking forward to putting those steps into practice!  Thank you so much for taking the time.
    E Turner
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I did two six pound free range birds tonight inverted on the BGE stand. Absolutely gorgeous. Sure wish I could post a pic

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Steven, I'd love to see that.  I guess your stomach wasn't quite patient enough to set up the camera???  Ha.

I am really just blown away by this entire culture of egg enthusiasts that I really never knew was out there on this level.  Wow, very exciting.

E Turner
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken, and then I ate his leg. 

-RIP Adam Yauch

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Hotrodden said:
    How does a chicken start and end it's life? In an egg! ~:> =))
    :))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken, and then I ate his leg. 

-RIP Adam Yauch
    Nice.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • That's good stuff, SmokeyPitt.