Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Turtle Eggs and Moinkballs (Pics)

Options
r270ba
r270ba Posts: 763
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ummm...I felt my arteries clogging as I was preparing this...I was SOOO EXCITED :).  Here is my first attempt at Turtle Eggs and Moinkballs.  I would have to say to changes I am going to make.

1.  I would add more heat to my turtle eggs.  I used Jimmy Dean Hot and went a little too light on the jalapeños.  Next time I will definitely heat it up a bit more.

2.  I think some homemade meatballs would be much better than store bought...but the Costco meatballs I used were pretty dog gone good.

Tell me what you think.  I am afraid that, like most everyone else here, this egg cooking is getting into my blood...

PS.  Please forgive the presentation.  My wife and I were starving.  
PPS.  Yes that is my 3.5 year old son's socks on the countertop in the first and second picture.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As long as you don't use your  3.5 year old son's socks for smoking all looks real good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• r270ba
    Options
    They were very close to being used for napkins :)
    Anderson, SC

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The family that cooks together stays together.... presentation is fine, looks like most homes, it is real! Great job and thanks for sharing.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    They look great. Not sure what recipe you used for turtle eggs, but I felt the same way. Not enough heat even though it looked like I had plenty of jalapeno. I'm seriously thinking about making saturday a nothing but appetizer day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    The family that cooks together stays together.... presentation is fine, looks like most homes, it is real! Great job and thanks for sharing.
    Agree!  Looks perfect! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • r270ba
    Options
    Thanks guys. I love this egg an this community!
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    Options
    Griffin said:
    They look great. Not sure what recipe you used for turtle eggs, but I felt the same way. Not enough heat even though it looked like I had plenty of jalapeno. I'm seriously thinking about making saturday a nothing but appetizer day.
    Griffin,

I actually think I used your recipe from your site...so that is probably why we both didn't think it was hot enough.  Great site by the way!
    Anderson, SC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It all looks great!  I would be surprised to find any pics in my house that didn't have socks on the counter!  

If you like more heat, maybe next time do them in armadillo form? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• r270ba
    Options
    @smokeypitt, I am unclear as to the difference between turtle and armadillo.  I couldn't find a definitive answer with my searching...can you please enlighten?
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    Options
    +1 and Thanks!
    Anderson, SC

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Another possible option is use serranos instead of the jalapenos.
    Edina, MN

• Griffin
    Options
    r270ba said:
    @smokeypitt, I am unclear as to the difference between turtle and armadillo.  I couldn't find a definitive answer with my searching...can you please enlighten?

A whole or halved jalapeno stuffed with cheese and then wrapped in sausage.

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    r270ba said:
    @Griffin beat me to it...but here is a great link with pics:

I didn't know what either of these "eggs" were until recently.  It is pretty much the same as the Turtle, just using the half jap.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• r270ba
    Options
    @smokeypitt...I like your blog too!  I have added yours and @griffin to my Reader!
    Anderson, SC

• Griffin
    Options

@SmokeyPitt - do you have a blog?

@r270ba - the link he posted to was to a guy named Chris, who also posts here as NibbleMeThis. Really nice guy and hell of a cook. He actually did a guest post (Smoked 'Loney) for me back in August when I was in Germany. I got the recipe for turtle eggs from him.

Rowlett, Texas

• r270ba
    Options
    Sorry @smokeypitt...I thought NibbleMeThis was yours.  I am sorry about that .  Still it is a great blog for anyone who is interested.   #-o
    Anderson, SC

• SmokeyPitt
    edited October 2012
    Options
    No problem!  I appreciate the complement, but NibbleMeThis is not mine.  I'm just a follower :).  I do find myself linking to Chris' blog often, but the props go to Chris- @NibbleMeThis

I can't take pictures or present well enough to justify my own blog.  Usually my pics are of half eaten food on a paper plate. 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Those that have made the turtle eggs - What the secret to keeping the sausage from sticking to everything except itself?  We tried to make them and only got about 5 eggs out a sausage since I got frustrated and could not make them correctly.

Garnerville, NY
  • r270ba
    Options
    Cold sausage and parchment paper for me.  My sausage started getting sticky...I put it back in the fridge for 15 mins or so and it was all good.
    Anderson, SC

• Griffin
    Options

Cold sausage, handle as little as possible, have a small bowl of cold water you can dip your fingers into to wet your hands a bit if it starts sticking.

Cut the log into slices, take a slice in one hand, add filling with the other, fold edges over to seal. Minimal handling.

Rowlett, Texas

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Options
    What a great thread! Thanks for the tips.
    When in doubt add more pepper.