Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5# standing prime rib

Options
SweepTheLeg
SweepTheLeg Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings and salutations, tomorrow im cooking a 5# prime rib,bone in. Please offer any suggestions for cook temp (indirect) for medium rare. Will repay with pics!

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    You can't beat Dr. BBQ's method.  Here is a video.

Click here.

I did mine exactly as he said to do it, and it turned out perfectly.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SweepTheLeg
    Options
    Just covered the roast with kosher salt, pepper, grey pupon and some horse radish. Now i wait. Also, just "got"(shot) my next meal, any suggestions? See pic
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Well, @SweepTheLeg, there you go, clear as mud, three answers three different temps, 250, 350, 450. 
    I think the issue is wether you want heavy well done crust with a rare interior or lighter crust and a more uniform finish (rare, medium, well) throughout. For heavy, i'd go with the cool roast into a hot egg, 450 temp, then cool as it cooks to desired internal. If you want a lighter crust, then go with the cool roast into a 250 egg. The 350 version is the fence sitter. The point is it all works. 
    For rib roasts, IMHO, let the meat speak for itself, hold the seasoning to a minimum and the crust to a manageable level.  I use the low and slow, sometimes with a sear at the end, sometimes not.
    Good luck
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm with you Skiddy...it's hard to give one answer because they all work.  The most important thing is not to overcook it.  I feel a little like a broken record as I have mentioned this in a few rib roast threads lately...but I speak from experience because I overcooked my first couple.  It sucks to see a $40-$60 hunk of meat loose most of the pinky goodness!  "Err on the side of rare". *

*D@mn- don't you hate it when you think you made up an expression, then you google it and find it all over the interwebs?!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Rib roast - my philosophy is to cook very low and slow.  The crust, or bark, is not a primary feature - mostly the interior is eaten, and cooking at higher temps overcooks some of the best part of the meat.   I cook at as low a temp I can maintain to get an even rare.   You can sear the outside - reverse sear is best because the outside is dryer and you add less heat to get the Maillard reaction (where moisture works against you). 

Because this is very fatty meat, it's really hard to screw up.  But I don't like anything over medium rare in my ribeye, so I don't cook hot.  Any any moisture loss cooking slow increases the beef flavor concentration - like dry aging sort of.  Unless you're ruining it by cooking well done, moisture is never an issue with a standing rib roast.