Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket time this weekend

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I am going to try and cook a brisket this weekend.  I went to the Restaurant Depot and got a 15.5 lb Angus Brisket.  I may have to use a Vrack or some foil balls to arch the brisket to get it to fit.  I really wanted t 10lber but they were out of them.

I am planning on cooking it for Saturday night around 6 ish.  So Friday at 3:00 it will go on the Egg at 250 grate.  I hope 24 hours is enough for this monster.  Planning on using Dizzy Pig Cowlick with brown sugar mixed in. 

Any tips on what I should do?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• there are some great brisket threads on here. Tom from Ceramic Grill Store just posted one last week that was very well written and should produce great results. Dig that one up if you can.

That brisket will fit perfectly in a large (not sure what size egg you have).

My only recommendation on brisket is cook them at around 300 on the dome. This should get it done in 1-1.5 hrs per lb (usually an hour for me). This will produce much better results than trying to do this in 24 hours. You an do it in half that and it will make for a much better brisket. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I've done lots of 15+lbsers You have a Large Egg?  mine always just barely fit..

The upside down V Rack will work fine, if not.  

Trim the fat to ~1/4" and rub it down the night before.

IMHO - I've rarely had a cook go 24 hours without forcing it that long.  Others may chime in differently.  Plan on it finishing earlier and (F)oiling (T)owel wrapping and (C)oolering for a few hours.  This will really help the final product.

IMHO - Fat cap side up.  This will also be debated, but it bastes the meat.  Can't beat gravity.

IMHO - a water bath under the meat with some garlic and pepper in it will circulate the heat and smoke more evenly and really impart additional fragrance to the cook.

Don't open and look at the cook (use a remote thermometer, I recommend the Maverick 732).  It'll just screw things up.  

Don't freak out when you hit the stall - a period of maddening temperature that holds even or MAY EVEN SLIGHTLY DROP during a late period in the cook.  Usually around ~165* for me.  It's a chemical process the meat goes through to start really breaking down the tough stuff in the meat.  Just be patient.  It will get through..

Shoot for ~195* or slightly more as a target temp to start testing if the meat has loosened all those stiff collagens and fibers and become tender and delicious.  A little higher will not hurt it.  Lower is tough meat.

Lots to think about, but the best part of the Egg is it takes almost all the X factors out for you.  Enjoy a fun cook, and remember - it didn't happen if you don't post pictures!

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• robnybbq
    edited October 2012
    I have a Large with an Adjustable Rig.

Heh - I did 2 8lb pork butts a few weeks back that took 16 hours to cook at 242 grate (Maverick).  My dome and grate are similar since I used the Adjustable Rig with the factory round grate on top of it to fit those butts.  Since the brisket is narrower I should be able to use the AR with the oval grate a little lower but I still want to use a drip pan (elevated off of the stone) with some water at least.

I want the Brisket done close to 2-3 on Saturday then I can FTC for a few hours.  I am planning on trimming the fat down to 1/4 inch.  If I am expecting 1.5 hours them maybe I am better off aiming for 6:00 on the Egg?  300 Dome should equal ~275 grate?

Garnerville, NY
  • Fat cap down for me.image

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• robnybbq
    Oh and I got a full packer brisket.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    I have a Large with an Adjustable Rig.

Heh - I did 2 8lb pork butts a few weeks back that took 16 hours to cook at 242 grate (Maverick).  My dome and grate are similar since I used the Adjustable Rig with the factory round grate on top of it to fit those butts.  Since the brisket is narrower I should be able to use the AR with the oval grate a little lower but I still want to use a drip pan (elevated off of the stone) with some water at least.

I want the Brisket done close to 2-3 on Saturday then I can FTC for a few hours.  I am planning on trimming the fat down to 1/4 inch.  If I am expecting 1.5 hours them maybe I am better off aiming for 6:00 on the Egg?  300 Dome should equal ~275 grate?

that brisket will fit perfectly then. I've had them up to 17lbs without having to fold them over a rack (it was touching on both sides until it shrunk up). I would put it on at Midnight. Should be done by 12 or 1 then you can FTC hold it. Still plenty of time to run a little long if it does.

• robnybbq
    Just to make sure.  You said it takes you 1-1.5 hours a lb.  This brisket is 15.5 lbs.  Should that be a minimum of 15 hours?

Garnerville, NY

man that looks awesome. I've done them cap up and down. I can't tell a difference. I think the prevailing thought is that if it's fat side down and anything sticks to the grate, it will be fat and not meat. I don't even look anymore. I just throw it on however it goes after trying it both ways and not noticing any difference 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The stall has been determined to be caused by moisture evaporating.  This is a great read if you're a geek like me.

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/stallbbq.html
    sorry, I thought it was 10 but that's what they were out of. Got it. Even better. Start it at 9 or 10 and that will give you some time to make sure everything is stable before heading of to sleep.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Don't forget the burnt ends!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• robnybbq
    I have to learn how to make them. 

I know to cut the fat off the bottom and leave ~1/4 inch layer of fat.  Does the top of the brisket fat need trimming as well?

Garnerville, NY
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    there are some great brisket threads on here. Tom from Ceramic Grill Store just posted one last week that was very well written and should produce great results. Dig that one up if you can.

That brisket will fit perfectly in a large (not sure what size egg you have).

My only recommendation on brisket is cook them at around 300 on the dome. This should get it done in 1-1.5 hrs per lb (usually an hour for me). This will produce much better results than trying to do this in 24 hours. You an do it in half that and it will make for a much better brisket. 
    That thread and info is right here.  I have already printed it off!
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1234455/#Comment_1234455
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Smitty,
    That looks absolutely perfect.  Any details?
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited October 2012

Fat cap down for me.image

Great looking brisket......I also am a fat down guy

man that looks awesome. I've done them cap up and down. I can't tell a difference. I think the prevailing thought is that if it's fat side down and anything sticks to the grate, it will be fat and not meat. I don't even look anymore. I just throw it on however it goes after trying it both ways and not noticing any difference 
    I would like to know the details to turn out a brisket like that!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!