Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My own BBQ Sauce

Onegrecook
Onegrecook Posts: 121
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok...I've wanted to develop my very own sauce. One I could honestly say I developed...or at least didn't follow a recipe on. I'm no pro, but I came up with something that I think is pretty good. Here is my disclaimer "I didn't research every recipe out there, so if for some crazy reason there is a recipe that is similar, I apologize and it wasn't intentional". As far as I know, it's my own.

Here is the recipe. If anyone try's it, please tell me what you think...and be honest! I have thick skin and like the sauce, and really don't care if you don't like it. I would like to improve it if possible, and welcome all honest opinions.

Greg's BBQ sauce recipe...cool name!

This is my very own. I made it up without help from a recipe. I wanted to have one to truly call my own. 

Enjoy

24 oz bottle of Heinz ketchup 
1/2 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup honey 
1/2 cup molasses 
1/8 cup Frenchs mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1-1/2 Tbsp of paprika
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp chili powder

Do NOT simmer...just warm in a sauce pan and chill in the fridge overnight. If you simmer it, it will become thicker than I prefer. The flavor gets better the longer it sits in the fridge. Hope you like it...I do:)

I used it on ribs with Alton Brown rub and liked it a lot.

Comments

• @Onegrecook I like to "build" my own stuff too, will give this a try. 
    Just so we are starting from the same page:
    Honey - liquid, solid, clover, anything special?
    Molasses - blackstrap, extra fancy, light?
    Paprika - smoked, regular?
    Chili powder - mild, medium, hot? 

Thanks - looks pretty simple and uses (I think) ingredients that are in most cupboards. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @Onegrecook I like to "build" my own stuff too, will give this a try. 

Just so we are starting from the same page:
    Honey - liquid, solid, clover, anything special?
    Molasses - blackstrap, extra fancy, light?
    Paprika - smoked, regular?
    Chili powder - mild, medium, hot? 

Thanks - looks pretty simple and uses (I think) ingredients that are in most cupboards. 

I used liquid clover honey, inexpensive baking molasses, just regular paprika, and mild chili powder. The sauce has just a hint of heat...my girls dont like anything too spicy. The next time I make it, I'll probably use smoked paprika just to give it a smoky hint.

• I've never made a Q sauce but I have made my own pulled pork vinigar based sauce. I've had better but making my own was very fulfilling and I liked it. When I told some guests that it was home made and not from a recipe, they were very impressed. Doing it yourself makes it more personal.

I like the sound of yours.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Thanks for the recipe. The addition of fennel is interesting, adds a vaguely Italian flavor to the sauce.

How's the consistency? Thick, thin or in-between?

Reminds me that I need to try making some sauce again myself. My few attempts were not good.
  • I like real flavor in my bbq sauce. Saute some rough chopped onions and whole garlic, add a bottle of good beer. Simmer that. Than go with the usual suspects. Cook it, blend it down and it's AWESOME!
  • gdenby said:

Thanks for the recipe. The addition of fennel is interesting, adds a vaguely Italian flavor to the sauce.

Reminds me that I need to try making some sauce again myself. My few attempts were not good.

I would consider it an in-between sauce. The fennel seed adds a different twist. I'm shocked it turned out as good as it did. I started throwing stuff together and when it was done...I liked it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

I would consider it an in-between sauce. The fennel seed adds a different twist. I'm shocked it turned out as good as it did. I started throwing stuff together and when it was done...I liked it.
    Sounds like your intuition was right on target. I will definitely have to whip up a batch.
  • Please let me know what you think, or if you have any ideas to improve it. I like constructive criticism...if needed.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Don't worry about asking people to improve it.  What I think might be an improvement, might not work for you.

That is why there are a gazillion BBQ sauces and rubs.  People like different things, so if you like it then tinker with it with ideas that you have.

If a sauce or rub is sold on a national basis, then a lot of people like it.  Some of them I like and some of them I can't stand.  Q is very personal.
  • Duganboy said:

Don't worry about asking people to improve it.  What I think might be an improvement, might not work for you.

That is why there are a gazillion BBQ sauces and rubs.  People like different things, so if you like it then tinker with it with ideas that you have.

If a sauce or rub is sold on a national basis, then a lot of people like it.  Some of them I like and some of them I can't stand.  Q is very personal.
    Thanks. I just appreciate the knowledge on this forum. I've not had a lot of luck creating my own recipes. I certainly think this sauce can stand on its own...at least for my personal taste. I just welcome any tips or opinions that might kick it over the top. I most definitely get that everyone has different tastes. I for one don't really care for the dizzy pig rubs. As a newbie, I hope I don't get pushed off a cliff for that comment, I just like something else better. It's fun to experiment. Love the Egg!
  • Looks good. I question the cumin and fennel, but I'd have to try it first. 

I would add a Tbsp or so of worcestershire sauce.
    Maybe cider vinegar instead of white. Maybe a little pineapple juice.
    There is also a great thing called tamarind paste that's tangy and sweet (it's in worcestershire sauce)

I find that you shouldn't change too many things at once, though. You'll get to a state where it tastes weird and you won't know what specific thing caused it.

I use this recipe as a starting point myself:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/a-very-popular-bbq-sauce/

It is quite good, but I recommend starting with half the brown sugar and half the salt.

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    Looks good... and I love cumin (see how personal tastes are - Scottc454 suggested not using it, but I'd advocate for its use). 

At any rate, not sure if you can get it where you live, but if you're gonna use ketchup as the base, you may wanna try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jufran-Banana-Sauce-12-oz/dp/B005NJBO4Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_3

We use it in place of ketchup.  I think there are at least 2 different styles, and we prefer the "hot" style: 

http://www.amazon.com/Jufran-HOT-Banana-Sauce-Bottles/dp/B005LTILRE/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_text_y  (although, it's not really "hot" - it just gives it a lil kick). 

Anyway, if they sell it where you live, or you're intrigued enough to buy some from Amazon, you should give it a try!!

Full disclosure:  my GF is Filipino so that's how I first found out about it.   
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee