Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parchment Paper for Pizza?

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Can someone tell me why he is here. Does his momma know he is off his meds? 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Go away McNutless. You're a tool, err troll.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I dunnno guys- when I go back an read it all, I think mc nuttley is being unfairly singled out. I mean he is new here and was just trying to make a valid point. seems like this got all blown up over parchment vs. cornmeal. I think the only thing bitter here is our attitudes
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • What irritates me is McNutbag's attitude.  Sure he says in so many words "whatever works for you", but then goes on how if you disagree with him you must be a stupid moron.  Let it go buddy.  If people want to use parchment and recommend that method, it doesn't automatically nominate them for "Ignoramous of the Year."
    Flint, Michigan
  • I dunnno guys- when I go back an read it all, I think mc nuttley is being unfairly singled out. I mean he is new here and was just trying to make a valid point. seems like this got all blown up over parchment vs. cornmeal. I think the only thing bitter here is our attitudes

Interesting viewpoint.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    He has been compared to Stike in another pizza thread
  • What irritates me is McNutbag's attitude.  Sure he says in so many words "whatever works for you", but then goes on how if you disagree with him you must be a stupid moron.  Let it go buddy.  If people want to use parchment and recommend that method, it doesn't automatically nominate them for "Ignoramous of the Year."

fair enough. I just hate to see a newb get on the worng side of the law so quickly. he may just not know how to navigate these waters as well as others. I will say that I will side with little steven and his 17,000 posts (or 200 posts- which is weird when you think about it) over anyone with 14 who bulls his way through this otherwise cordial forum. I was just throwing it out there. I thought for a minute- maybe it's us? probably not cuz we are awesome.

fair enough. I just hate to see a newb get on the worng side of the law so quickly. he may just not know how to navigate these waters as well as others. I will say that I will side with little steven and his 17,000 posts (or 200 posts- which is weird when you think about it) over anyone with 14 who bulls his way through this otherwise cordial forum. I was just throwing it out there. I thought for a minute- maybe it's us? probably not cuz we are awesome.
    Thanks CT. We are a friendly group.  Everyone is helpful and patient with those unfamiliar with Egging.  It seems we've had our share of turds with tudes lately and I for one am getting tired of them.
    Flint, Michigan

Good for you to cut "he who shall not be named when it comes to using parchment" some slack, but I doubt it is just here that "he who shall not be named when it comes to using parchment" can't navigate. It is not always what you say, it is how you say it. In other words, it is OK to stick in the proverbial knife, it is something else to twist it. There are lots of folks with very few posts that have much to add, there are lots of folks with hundreds of posts that have very little to add. The point is anyone can and should add to the conversation, but don't insult for the sake of insulting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • beteez said:

That is an insult to stike. He is a far bigger a-hole than mcnutt could ever hope to be :)
  • EggerinLA said:
    I dunnno guys- when I go back an read it all, I think mc nuttley is being unfairly singled out. I mean he is new here and was just trying to make a valid point. seems like this got all blown up over parchment vs. cornmeal. I think the only thing bitter here is our attitudes

I hear you but this has happened on here alot. We all dogpiled on another newb a few months ago for being whiny and he has never been back. It may be as you guys all say, I'm just saying I don't see this as a big deal and I hope he finds his way as a contributing member of the forum. I have been on the lynch mob side of things with the other guy and I don't think it was productive. I think everyone knows that if people cross the line, I'm not shy about speaking my piece. That being said, I haven't seen anything from him that has not been done 1000 times by other people on here.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    As the original poster of this thread, thanks to everyone who gave advice concerning where to buy it and to the others who suggested alternatives.  Now a suggestion - let's let this thread die and try to get along with each other.  This is a great forum and I hate to see it get ugly over a simple question.  It is too easy to drive away newbies like myself who just want to learn more about making great food on the egg.   Thanks everyone!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Im a cheepskate, I use the same parchment paper for all the pizzas done the same night!!
    I guess it works!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2012
    :-t I use parchment paper instead of a mattress liner. 8->
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    cazzy said:
    :-t I use my parchment paper instead of a mattress liner. 8->

Stock up on Kentucky Jelly.

I think when you start to get upset on an internet message board it's time to take a step back.

Go cook something.

Just my stupid opinion...free of charge.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2012
    An argument over cornmeal versus paper?  No wonder there is always a war somewhere.
    Or whatever.  I didn't even bother to read what it's about, other than something that it isn't that important.
    The argument I mean, not the original thread post.

Wow, talk about putting a man down. Mcnuttley was actually being helpful and I agree with Tex about some of the attitudes here. Stike is the biggest douche to ever grace this forum and it is unfair to compare him to BGE's biggest troll. We may all have different opinions but at least Mcnuttley is trying to help.
  • Stike may have been an acquired taste (it definitely took a while for me to warm up to him)  but I doubt that his advice can be faulted.  I hope to do half of what he accomplished on the egg.  I also believe that Stike helped more people than any other member that I can think of on this board, and he did not have the need to have his ego constantly stroked.  Mom said if you don't have anything nice to say..... so nothing to say about MacNutty.

Gerhard
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    92Egghead said:

beteez said:

Wow, talk about putting a man down. Mcnuttley was actually being helpful and I agree with Tex about some of the attitudes here. Stike is the biggest douche to ever grace this forum and it is unfair to compare him to BGE's biggest troll. We may all have different opinions but at least Mcnuttley is trying to help.
    I have to disagree with the statement that stike is a douche. He has contributed a lot to this forum in a very positive way. I, for one, find his New England sense of humor hillarious. Stike has put some people in there place before but that was after they got nasty. I'm not trying to get on the stike bandwagon but I do not think he has ever trolled around this forum trying to start trouble. He is, at least in my mind, the king of rotten meat.
  • QDude said:
    As the original poster of this thread, thanks to everyone who gave advice concerning where to buy it and to the others who suggested alternatives.  Now a suggestion - let's let this thread die and try to get along with each other.  This is a great forum and I hate to see it get ugly over a simple question.  It is too easy to drive away newbies like myself who just want to learn more about making great food on the egg.   Thanks everyone!
    @QDude, You are welcome, please continue to ask questions, offer advice and voice your opinions, we all appreciate the involvement.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I agree. What a mess. And for the record- me and Beibs likey the Stikey. I was only messing with him because I knew he was reading all this. :) I knew McNuttley wasn't Stike (but i don't know who it is). It was all in fun on my part and he knows it.
  • QDude said:
    @QDude, You are welcome, please continue to ask questions, offer advice and voice your opinions, we all appreciate the involvement.
    This stuff happens from time to time but you will find it's a great place overall. Stick around, you'll be glad you did
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    92Egghead said:

beteez said:

Mcnuttley tried to help in this thread but he got off to the wrong foot in another thread by attacking a very respected board member with little cause.

Stike and Mcnuttley shouldn't be compared though as stike has helped more folks around these parts in one hour than either of you have in your lifetime on this forum. I also don't think you've been here long enough to know if he's the biggest DB. I've seen a lot of them around these parts an Stike was far from a troll. Last time I checked, trolls don't give advice.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • If you ever see a Pizza Screen used to cook pizza pick one up and try it.  They are made from an open mesh with a diamond pattern all locked together by a circular metal rim.  They last a long time and do a great job.  Mario Binelli was the original inventor and a friend of our family.  He made millions from the patent.  Do the entire cook time on the screen.  You make your pie right on the screen and easily place it on your stone.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Sam - I make relatively high hydration (wet) doughs @ around 65%.  I have screens, but I've had issues with the dough pressing through the screen and trouble with it releasing.  I spray the screen with Pam prior to loading.  Any guidance? 

I use parchment in my home oven and egg.  I bake at 550* on both and have no issues with parchment.  I pull the parchment out after about 3 minutes when the dough has set and get nice browning on the bottom from the heat of the stone.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with using any aid (parchment, flour, semolina, corn meal, etc) in releasing your delicioius pizza with repeatable success onto the stone of your cooking vessel.  Use what you're comfortable with and gives you the results you want. 

• i've been a pizza man since i was 16. Scary to say, i've just entered my 30's! Ill be honest, as many pies as I've made in a regular pizza oven(none of which ever used parchment). My first egg pie was a disaster. Ever since i've switched over to parchment. Let's face it, it's fairly easy to get an 18" pie into a 5 foot wide oven. But trying to get a 12" pie on a 13" stone, when the eggs blowing like a dragon, 550 plus. Parchment, perfectly round, perfectly sized. Open the dome, pull and go! 2-3 minutes in when i would normally spin it anyways, pull the paper.  I used to use the stone raised direct without a platesetter. Now I use the platesetter, it serves as a great heat sink, and blocks some of the scorching heat from the stone that leads to burnt crust.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I also use a pizza screen. I use parchment when I am making more than 1 but I like the screen better.