Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordered Large BGE - questions about how they come stock now

Options
jimreed777
jimreed777 Posts: 324
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I purchased the HiQue grate for my medium and thought it was a great upgrade. Does the large still ship with the cast iron fire grate with holes in it...or have they started shipping with a Stainless grate?

Will the fire ring be a 5 or 3 dimple? I am trying to order the accessories...but I need to know 3 or 5 before I order.

Also, should I go ahead and order a nomex, or is the gasket that ships with it from the factory now high-temp?

Thanks guys. 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just bought one for my father in law a few months ago. it still comes with the cast iron grate with the holes in it. I didn't notice the fire ring but 90% sure it was the 3 indention just like mine is (mine's 8 years old or so). I went ahead and had them install the nomex gasket on his because he's not capable of swapping the old one out. I went ahead and swapped mine too and it's definitely better. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • xraypat23
    Options
    I believe if it's a "NEW" one, im not a 100% sure on the firering. But i know it's still a cast iron fire grate, should ship with a grey nomex gasket installed already, you can tell if it's one of the brand new ones by the handle, it's about twice as wide as the old larges.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    it is going to be a new one from the factory - thanks guys - I guess I will have to wait and see since there is no way to be 100% sure about the 3 or 5 dent fire ring.

I will roll with the grey nomex until I burn it out I guess. I have been ordering the one from Hi-Que on amazon and it seems thicker and it is white. Is the grey one that is stock considered better?
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I have a May 2012 MBGE, it has a five dimple fire ring. The video on the BGE website shows the unpacking of a LBGE, it has a five dimple fire ring. The grate for sure is Cast Iron, not stainless. 
    My MBGE still had the "lasts forever if you never light it" felt gasket. If Your has the felt, it appears you can get a Nomex replacement under warranty, I'd try that before I bought one (High-Que ships the gasket and stainless grate for free if you buy them together)

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    Also note the ring I have has 3 notches cut out for the plate setter. I also have a larger handle and im not sure about the gasket. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I bought my large from a sucker on CL this summer.   He said the Egg is a little over 2 years old.  Mine has a 5 dimple fire ring.
    Flint, Michigan