Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

USDA Prime CAB - tonights dinner

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Walking past the meat counter this afternoon, looking for something to cook, and found a couple of Prime CAB steaks. 1 1/3 pound each.  Kept it simple, seasoned with salt and pepper, then seared a few minutes a side down just above the coals. Added some Jack Daniels chips for smoke. 

Finished up on the grid at 450 to internal 125, then let em rest.  

While the steaks were resting, put on some quartered, partially cooked sweet potatoes, seasoned with salt, pepper and cinnamon sugar.  A little hot sausage and honey for a starter.

Since the steaks were so big, decided to thin slice to serve.  Came out great. You could cut it with a fork, and it just melted in your mouth.  

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    looks tasty TJ nice dinner 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    looks great!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • What does CAB stand for? Looks delicious. thanks for posting.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Tjcoley
    CAB = Certified Angus Beef. CAB beef supposedly meets higher requirements for marveling and quality, but it may just be a marketing thing. A Choice CAB steak is supposed to be a higher quality than a standard Choice steak. I'm no expert on USDA grading, but this Prime steak was one of the best I've had. As good as any top steakhouse.
    That's 'marbling' not 'marveling'. While I marveled at the quality of the steak, the marbling was what made it so tender.

CAB is a marketing thing, I'm pretty sure, but Angus beef is renowned for nice texture and taste. 
    Here is chart re grading, from a north of 49 perspective, compares Canada and the USA. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CAB doesn't have to be pure angus.  It just has to have some angus influence.  CAB was invented by the National Angus Breeders Association, and is mainly a marketing ploy, IMHO.  You should buy your beef, based on the grading, not the breed.

Nice cook, Tj.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• That looks delicious, although you are making me think twice about firing up the egg and having steak and eggs for breakfast!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2012
    Tjcoley said:
    CAB = Certified Angus Beef. CAB beef supposedly meets higher requirements for marveling and quality, but it may just be a marketing thing. A Choice CAB steak is supposed to be a higher quality than a standard Choice steak. I'm no expert on USDA grading, but this Prime steak was one of the best I've had. As good as any top steakhouse.

CAB is a marketing arm of the Angus Breeders Assn as VI mentions above. I also agree to buy steaks by the marbeling and not the brand or breed. However, I had a CAB steak counter for a few years and they were some of the best steaks I've ever eatan anywhere. We actually bought them from a restaurant supply (Sysco) and they were wet aged 28 days before we go them. The grocery store by my house sells CAB and it's really nothing special most of the time. I guess I would say that I am generally a huge CAB fan but I always sniff around to make sure it's up to their normal standards. Now- CAB, by thier own defintion, is the upper 2/3 of choice and prime. There is really no such thing as choice CAB or Prime CAB. It's simply choice or above. So anyone selling you Prime CAB is not really being accurate with the facts. It may be prime but they don't grade it that way. it's simply CAB which includes prime from time to time. cook looks good. Keep posting.. Sorry to wear you out on the details, just want you to be an educated shopper so you always get what you are after. These looked really good and made me miss the days I could just go cut a hunk off a primal any time I wanted :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tjcoley
    Thanks @Cen_Tex and @VI.  These were very nicely marbled and I probably paid too much for the CAB Prime marketing, but they turned out to be a great meal yesterday, and a fantastic steak sandwich tonight.  Two meals, for 3 1/2 people (almost 3 year old granddaughter loves 'red chicken' but won't eat 'steak'), for $40 for this quality I'll take every day.  Always suspected the CAB label was more marketing than quality, but if I see these again they are going on the Egg.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • I don't think you over paid at all. I'll
    Pay that for good steak any day.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    TJ that all looks great.  I agree- don't think you overpaid at all for those.  I have only found prime in a few places and it always seems to be about $10 a bite.  

Did you just remove the fire ring to get the grid down low for the sear?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• There actually is a CAB Prime.  It will have the label and will be clearly marked as such (see link below)  

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/prime.php

If beef is labeled as simply CAB, I'm guessing it is not prime, but rather the "top tier of choice" as the link below states.

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/press/kit/Understanding_beef_quality_grades_011612.pdf

I always purchase CAB when it's available.  Nothing is foolproof, but in my opinion, is it just another tool to use to ensure you're getting a very tender, flavorful piece of beef.

• Tjcoley
    TJ that all looks great.  I agree- don't think you overpaid at all for those.  I have only found prime in a few places and it always seems to be about $10 a bite.  

Did you just remove the fire ring to get the grid down low for the sear?  
    Didn't remove the fire ring.  I have a smaller 'raised' grate that has legs that clip to the regular grate  I just push the legs into the coals and it sits perfectly on top.  

There actually is a CAB Prime.  It will have the label and will be clearly marked as such (see link below)  

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/prime.php

That's the label that was on these.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2012
    My $.02.  I have had Black Angus Prime strips from the guys from Meat Men (Pat LaFreida) and on both occasions, by far the best strips I have every had.  I'm assuming they are CAB but maybe not.  Regardless, so tender for strips.....almost like my local Choice rib eyes or filet.  Much more tender than strips I get locally.  Even compared to Fresh Market's "Premium Choice" strips...which I have found to be very good.  Also, Kobe is a breed as well and although not worth the price, I must say, simply awesome!   I just can't justify the marginal cost of that Kobe goodness.  If I had the $$$$ I would have Kobe more frequently.  Oh well.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

Since no beef has been exported from Japan into the US for years, it's not Kobe.  I've had the waygu that they're selling as Kobe and it might even be better than the real thing.   No more real than the Parmigiano-Reggiano that's made in Wisconsin.  Not that it isn't better or worse, but we're like the Chinese underground ripping off regional trademarks here in the US with food.
  • I had the real Kobe in Japan and our version of it here, waygu. We have nothing close to as good as the real Kobe from Japan. It is crazy how luxurious of a life those Kobe cows have before they are killed.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2012
    I had a "Kobe" burger in Vegas as well as a Kobe steak and was clearly better than anything else I have every had, so I can only imagine being in Japan.  I have had Waygu and understood they follow the same "Kobe process/standard " but never tried to represent their cattle was from Japan.  Good stuff.   

Interesting read.  http://store.snakeriverfarms.com   Notice they give a little history but never really state how their cattle is raised/breed.  Gives the impression they got their steer from Japan.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    I read that the Japanese have a different have a different idea on what good beef tastes like than Americans.  I don't know how that fits into my palet, but I did read that they don't consider Kobe the best, necessarily, but one of the regions that has a storied history with their beef.

I ate a "Kobe" burger at Emeril's in New Orleans, and "Kobe" rib eye at a Japanese place in St. Rose.  They were EXCELLENT.  But I don't know how that compares to beef from Kobe Japan.
    edited September 2012
    Not from what I understand and know firsthand, but it doesn't matter. The Japanese most assuredly consider Kobe the best beef in the world and so does the majority of the world that knows beef quality. Anyone who has had the real Kobe in Japan understands.
  • nolaegghead
    Not from what I understand and know firsthand, but it doesn't matter. The Japanese most assuredly consider Kobe the best beef in the world and so does the majority of the world that knows beef quality. Anyone who has had the real Kobe in Japan understands.
    http://www.japanguidebook.com/articles/expensive-japanese-beef-89.html

Kobe is known as the best Japanese  beef outside of Japan, but like I said, the Japanese have different palets.  Read that link.
    edited September 2012
  • oh noooooooo! The dreaded Kobe thread has reared it's ugly head again! :-O