Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey old timers..

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm a youngster here, my claim to fame is that I cook  on the Eggs almost every night so I've posted a lot of pics.  I am feeling really burned out lately because I've posted whatever my cook is at least once before.  For instance, tonight was wings, which I bet I have had pics 5 or 6 times before.

Is there value added to repost things you've done before, or do you reach the point where you're only doing "special" cooks?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    am far from a old timer but i enjoy your cooks Doc and seeing if there's a new twist or something i can apply myself from yours and others that post here 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2012
    As for me, I only post a cook once.  I also try to post the recipe of the cook.  Otherwise, I feel I'm just bragging about my cook and not helping anybody else. 

I also only post if the cook is worth sharing.  I don't want someone to repeat my failures (which are many).

But, that's just me.  Everybody here has their own reasons for posting, and they're all valid.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I enjoy looking at pictures on this site.. no matter if it's cooks, equipment, eggs, tables, or Lizzie with her "headlight" on lol!
  • I try to take pictures of all my cooks, but I only post if it is a cook with a twist, or the recipe is worth sharing.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I may be an old timer by age, but only Egging a year.  Seems like there are new people joining the group every day, so I say keep em coming Doc.  I usually post pics when I've done something new to me or a repeat cook I thought turned out better than before.  
  • LOL  my daughter asks every cook if i will be taking pictures!  (tonight was pizza)  I only post pictures on cooks that are new to me, but that is only me. Doc, you post some amazing pics, i say keep them coming!

Good night all!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Dear Doc:

I copied my comment from your "New Toy - Steel Platter" thread in case you didn't see it.  I thought it was appropriate to put here:

Hi Doc! I just got mine today, but was stuck in an evening meeting so I got shut out of breaking it in. Eggs and pancakes is a splendid idea. I guess I'm borrowing from you yet again! Keep posting Doc! You're an inspiration for plating, cousine and all things Egg!

I meant every word.  I'm sorry I suck at pictures & posting.  Tonight I did the eggs & sausage in a CI frying pan on the large, but I used the new toy for pancakes and it was a joy to cook them on it.  I wouldn't have known about it unless you posted and unlike me, took pictures and posted them.  I think there are many on this forum who appreciate and enjoy what you bring.  If you're a little burned out on posting then take a break.  If you do, I hope it's a short break.

Your friend,

Fred
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred, I would have loved to have seen pics.  I haven't had a chance to use the platter yet.  I will keep posting my daily diary, and at least the message is you can cook every day on the Egg.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I try to take pictures of all my cooks, but I only post if it is a cook with a twist, or the recipe is worth sharing.  
    Eggactly why I like Doc's pics, what might be a regular day to day, no twist cook to one might be an incredible eye opening learning experience to another. It is much like TV, watch and dwell on what you like and if you find it boring switch the channel or thread in this case. Regardless, I have a lot of respect for folks who take the time to share, it is always appreciated. ThanksDoc, don't change a bit!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I enjoy them, it inspires me to try new cooks so I say post them all.
  • Hey Doc, I'm new but FWIW I enjoy your posts so I vote that you keep the pics coming (repeat or not)
  • Hey Doc, I'm new but FWIW I enjoy your posts so I vote that you keep the pics coming (repeat or not)
    I started out feeling like a boring repeat poster, but now I feel like a needy whiner.  OK, if my daily grind does indeed add value to the site, I'll keep them up.  Thanks.

• yeah....keep the pics coming Doc.
  • I'm a youngster here, my claim to fame is that I cook  on the Eggs almost every night so I've posted a lot of pics.  I am feeling really burned out lately because I've posted whatever my cook is at least once before.  For instance, tonight was wings, which I bet I have had pics 5 or 6 times before.

Is there value added to repost things you've done before, or do you reach the point where you're only doing "special" cooks?

I like seeing your stuff but I only post once.....and even then it has to be something that I think has some value. That's just me though. I'm cool woth however anybody wants to do it. I like all the content
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • oh yeah, and you've been here longer than me so what do I know? Do whatever you feel is right for you. It can't hurt to post stuff you enjoy. I think that's what this joint is all about. At least you are always on topic and generally in good taste.....unlike me :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Keep on posting your pics, Doc. I love looking at them and we get new people here every day who may have never seen it before (and don't know how/won't use the search forum) or you may remind us of a cook that we haven't done in a long time and may have forgotten about. I couldn't tell you how many times I've posted pizza cooks, or wings or other things, but I still do and hopefully somebody somewhere learns something they didn't before or I inspire somebody. I figure its the least I can do after all I have learned here (and on other forums). Or maybe I'm wrong and should just shut up. I vote for keep on posting your food.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hey Doc. I am fairly new to this forum, for what it is worth, I have appreciated your posts, comments, and pics. As well as others who have a lot more eggprience. I would suggest that you keep up the good work, maybe if you need a break, take a break and not post as much, (for now  :D). Until you get your wind back again.
    From a fellow egger, who is new to it, but who does enjoy the forum, think of it this way, all of us newbie's would have someone to look up too.
    =D>
    I don't want to hi-jack, but to all of those who post great recipes and info to us new timers who have tons of repetitive questions, THANK YOU. We wouldn't have such a good forum without you.
    +1 Griifin, keep on posting your food Doc.

Large, small, and a mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012

Watch who you are calling "old timers" as Gary is very sensitive =)) We have two weeks to talk about him as he is in Italy.

Doc keep posting. I like your posts and pictures and sure most everyone feels the same. Not like it cost anymore to post a picture. *-:)

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I'm not as old as Mickey

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I don't mind the post. I read almost all of them and it gives me ideas or reminds me of things I may have forgotten.
    Boom
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Doc, love the pics, the comments, the experiences.  We are all aging and, sad to say, a re-post can sometime be like reading it for the first time...  sigh...
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Back in the days of dial up connections pictures might have been an issue but now no one I know has dial up.  Keep the pics coming.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    In real time, I'm a old timer and in egg time I'm a youngster. I learn something from all of post and if not I get a lot of laughs. So keep them coming Doc
  • Always glad to see what Doc E has cooking.  I'm an old guy so repitition is sometimes necessary.
  • I say post everything that looks delish!  It's rare that I go back into old posts to look at things.  I always look at the new posts.  Heck, I love wings!  Show 'em every day!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Post everything, I say.  Gotta fortify the success side of the posts.  With BigGreenDave (aka Stike) taking up the slack on the other side of the spectrum, well, actually making the noobs feel better by playing the foil...., we'll have a balance forum.
    :))
    Hey Doc.
    I am cooking more than ever, and enjoying it more than ever, but have no time to take pictures and post. I say keep 'em comin'! New people will se it every time you post, and it's all about sharing. Or "chairing" as Cheech used to say.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I definitely reached that point a year or so ago. Plus, everybody else posted better pictures of the same thing! I'll drop in now and then, lurk for months, and keep on cooking for my biggest critics (wife, 5, and 7 year old). With football season, and cooler weather finally here for 2012, I'm bound to post up the same old gameday chili pics, "How ya's been?" questions, and basically just peek on all the friends I've made here. If every stopped posting it wouldn't be nearly the same to "drop in" so I say keep it up!
    Cheers