Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone cook beef roasts on the egg

Options
Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
If so, is it low and slow and how good are they? More forgiving than brisket?

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've cooked Top Round and it was great.  Got the BGE to 450-500 degrees indirect at the grid.  Put in the roast on a V rack then set the vents for 250 and let the temperature drop slowly.  Pull it at medium rare and let it sit for 10 or so minutes.  Very tender and tasty.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    How long did you cook it?
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Sounds good and easy!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    What "egg-zactly" do you mean by "beef roast?"  I've done some prime rib roasts (it's beef)  ;) and the results were phenomenal... 

here's the details of the latest one:  

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    This might be good for making roast beef like for sandwich meats

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    roast bef is the easiest cook in the egg.  can go low, or you can start high (500) and  immediately drop temps to 325, 300.  or just do 325-350 for the whole cook.

i prefer 250. you still get a crust if the roast has a layer of fat

set up indirect, it's basically the same cook as in your oven

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Chuck roasts cook up nice. I've followed some of the threads on here.
  • Shiff
    Options
    How long did you cook it?
    I did another top round roast tonight for dinner. It was about 4.8 pounds and I put my usual rub on it.  I got the BGE up to 500 degrees and then put it on a V rack.  I closed up the vents to eventually drop the temperature to around 300 degrees.  In 1.5 hours it was up to the 130 internal range  so we took it in to eat.

Came out great. My wife likes meat cooked a little more than I do, so she enjoyed the outer slices and I enjoyed the less done ones.  I think I'll aim for a lower internal temp next time- maybe around 125.

This is a great roast - not as tender as a rib  roast, but not too tough either and it has a nice flavor. Luckily we have lots of leftovers.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    roast bef is the easiest cook in the egg.  can go low, or you can start high (500) and  immediately drop temps to 325, 300.  or just do 325-350 for the whole cook.

i prefer 250. you still get a crust if the roast has a layer of fat

set up indirect, it's basically the same cook as in your oven

This may be a dumb queston, what cut of meet do you use for the roast beef? We have often thougt that would be a good holiday cook.
  • stike
    Options
    a roast is basically  anything that isn't chunked into steaks
      if it is a large hunk of meat, you can roast it

it can be cooked slowly, or at moderate temps, or quickly.  i find slower to be better.
    indirect.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I did a chuck roast the other day and threw it away. Just did 250's until internal was 165. It was tough and nasty. Prolly won't try it again cause my wife's is always amazing so I'll just let her keep the chuck roast.

XLBGE 
  • Shiff
    Options
    I did a chuck roast the other day and threw it away. Just did 250's until internal was 165. It was tough and nasty. Prolly won't try it again cause my wife's is always amazing so I'll just let her keep the chuck roast.
    Chuck roast comes out very good if you cook it to about 205 internal or sometimes a little more.  It can be pulled and makes a great BBQ beef.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Options
    This may be a dumb queston, what cut of meet do you use for the roast beef? We have often thougt that would be a good holiday cook.
    As I said in my post, I use Top Round.  A little tougher than Rib Roast, but still very good.  I've also used Beef Clod and Chuck Roasts.  These last 2 benefit from a little braising.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    Chuck roast comes out very good if you cook it to about 205 internal or sometimes a little more.  It can be pulled and makes a great BBQ beef.

I'm trying this method today as an experiment. Lazy day w/ some home brew baby sitting the Maverick.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    A chuck roast is, to me, a pot roast - we like ours New England style, done in a slow cooker and smeared with horseradish. Cooked into oblivion. 

On the egg, a standing rib roast/prime rib/chef's roast or cowboy cut steaks not cut into cowboys yet is the best, IMHO. Oven, or egg, sear it - temp at 500F for 10 minute or so, then drop to 250 for remainder, off at internal of 125F or so. 

Another good cook is Chicago Italian beef, which is really a round roast cooked over broth. Because the egg holds moisture this comes out awesome. Basically you are going to indirect cook at 400F to an internal of 120/125, take it off, put it in the fridge (or ice loaded cooler) to cool and then paper thin slice using a slicer. Store for a few days in the fridge if you want. The broth is then heated and the rare beef dipped in the broth to warm and served on an Italian roll. Add some spicy veggies (called giardineriera). A sure crowd pleaser if you like messy stuff, the Italian sangwitch.
    Here are some links for those interested. Good place to start......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I just picked up on this thread.  After a trip to Buffalo, NY, I want to make Beef on Weck sammiches.  We went to Charlie the Butcher; http://www.charliethebutcher.com/.  I am hooked on these.  Charlie uses Choice Top Round. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • stike
    Options
    165 is either 30 degrees to high or 30 degrees too low.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options

Chuck roast yesterday  - before and after:

Yummy. Having leftovers tonight.....

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    Take the internal to 215 and you will be singing a new tune...:)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I just picked up on this thread.  After a trip to Buffalo, NY, I want to make Beef on Weck sammiches.  We went to Charlie the Butcher; http://www.charliethebutcher.com/.  I am hooked on these.  Charlie uses Choice Top Round. 
    Great thread adder (?) This is the Buffalo, German version of the Chicago Italian beef sangwitch. As well as horseradish, try some Lowensenf mustard.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try it again. My wife does it in a Dutch oven in the oven low and all day. Is amazing and has already fallen apart when we get ready to eat. I didn't have the time to do it long. It tasted like a big tough steak.

XLBGE 
  • stike
    Options
    It will never pull unless taken to 195 or so

Otherwise you just have an overcooked roast