Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any advice on cooking a whole pig head?

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all,

Anyone cook a whole hog head, or a head as part of a whole hog? Or go to a whole hog roast?

I found a place that sells whole heads. I thought it looked like the head had the eyes removed. I ordered one. The eyes are still in it. I'm finding different instructions. Some say remove the eyes (and the brain,) Other say just roast the whole thing. The folks at the shop asked me what I intended to do w. the head, and I said "Just stick it on my BGE." They responded "That'll work just fine. Nose up, give it about 8 hours."

But I don't know if it is one of those things that is just understood by most. "Well, of course you remove the eye..." Or, is it just a matter of style?

And pointers much appreciated.

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    yea, i cooked one along side a brisket i was doing in my weber 26.75 because the whole hog was too big to fit in my caja china. Pretty sure i cooked it at least 6hrs at 300, nice and tender cheek meat...good eats!
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options

You should be able to cook the whole head without removing anything.  Some people enjoy eyeballs and brains so if you have any adventurous eaters you can offer it to them.  Like xray said, the jowl meat is going to be incredible, one of my favorite cuts of meat on any animal! 

Pig tongue will be interesting.  Let us know how it turns out!

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

there is something about a head on any animal or fish on a plate looking at you....

:-O

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    My advice would be to return the head, or throw it out. That's disgusting... Have a nice day
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    There is a restaurant here in Chicago that has a dish called "pig face".  They take the tongue and meat of the face and roll it together and braise it for a few hours.  Then cook it in a wood burning oven to crisp it up.  It is pretty amazing.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    I would say just leave the eyes in. Put toothpicks in and pluck out and put some hot sauce on them and munch away MMMmmmm.....
  • apphunter
    apphunter Posts: 17
    Options
    I've always wanted to try making my own headcheese.  I will have to see if I can find a local butcher that sells pig heads

• gdenby
    Options
    My advice would be to return the head, or throw it out. That's disgusting... Have a nice day

Hope I didn't offend. Growing up w. czenina and kiszka, my question was really just aimed at finding out if something needed to be cut out, so as not to mess up the flavor.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Interesting, pics of this will be well interesting! Good luck!
  • gdenby
    Options

You should be able to cook the whole head without removing anything.  Some people enjoy eyeballs and brains so if you have any adventurous eaters you can offer it to them.  Like xray said, the jowl meat is going to be incredible, one of my favorite cuts of meat on any animal! 

Pig tongue will be interesting.  Let us know how it turns out!

Thanjs, I think this will be good.

Yes, it appears that what to do w.the eyeballs is mostly a matter of preference. The tongue was removed. FWIW, I've bought a half hogs a few years ago, and because no one wanted the tongues, the farmer gave me several. I cooked them like I do beef tongue. But because they are relatively small, once I had sliced away the outer coating (whatever that is called) there was not much meat left.

When I get tongue cooked right, it is just as tender as bologna, but way more succulent. Very, very rich.
  • BBQBeerman
    BBQBeerman Posts: 62
    Options
    Your cooking the wrong end of a pig
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Unfortunately, I also eat with my eyes.  But that's just me.
    Options
    Good Luck and enjoy it. I don't think I could do that. Even if I did, I would be eating alone. :)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options

Hope I didn't offend. Growing up w. czenina and kiszka, my question was really just aimed at finding out if something needed to be cut out, so as not to mess up the flavor.
    Haha, no offense man. If I had a problem with pig, I'm definitely in the wrong place. Pig head just isn't my cup o' tea! 

Hope you enjoy your head though.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Unfortunately, I also eat with my eyes.  But that's just me.

this made me lol

I would try an eye, but not the brain.
    Boom
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    If it was me, I would make porchetta di testa. You bone out the head, cure, season, roll and cook. The end product is amazing.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Don't would be my best advice.
  • billybon
    Options
    Here is a good link to a video on making the porchetta di Testa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nByH6yPWYj8
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Way to bring it Billybon!

Love it.

Looks awesome (and medieval)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I love cheek meat. So good. i would do a whole head just to get the jowl. 

Congrats to you for finding something out of the ordinary and giving it a rip. Love it

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gdenby
    Options
    Took the eyes out this morning. Just for aesthetics. Hmm. Empty sockets... Think I'll pin the ears over them so my dear wife doesn't get grossed out.

FWIW, they were a lot harder to remove than I thought they might. I supposed they might just pop out, and tried sliding a small spoon in. Not a chance. Ended up using one of my very sharp and pointed wood carving knives to slice around the socket. And then used a wire cutter to sever the optic nerve. Managed to get them out clean.

Will try to post about the cook after tomorrow.
  • billybon
    Options

Will try to post about the cook after tomorrow.
    Where are the pictures?
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    the eyes usually just pop anyways, at least most times I've cooked them
  • gdenby
    Options
    Posted  that day. Here's the URL:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141593/whole-pigs-head-on-a-medium#latest

I didn't get more than a few pics. We did, in fact, go into a bit of a feeding frenzy. My wife actually gasped when she took one particular bite.

Quick set up for a medium Egg: grill on the fire ring. 2 fire brick splits flat on the grill. Head wedged into a pan that just fits. Cook for 7 hours, w. temps starting at 200 dome, and finishing at 275. Spoon fat from pan during the cook.