Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Whole pigs head on a medium

gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,171
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I asked for some advice on how to cook o whole hog head. I decided from what you folks said, and from a few other forums, that it was not necessary to remove the eyes. I decided to anyway. It was much harder than I expected. I used and extremely sharp pointed knife I use for wood carving. It took much hard cutting to loosen the eyes from their sockets, and I used a wire cutter to sever the optic nerve.

I probably worried about all this too much. It turned out to be the best pork I have ever cooked, or even tasted.

The hardest part was fitting it in a MBGE. If I put it in snout up, as the vendor suggested, it just flopped over, and I couldn't close the dome. I found that I could wedge it into one of my larger drip pans, and get the dome closed if it sat on the grill w. 2 fire brick splits on it.

The usual vent setting did not yield a dome of 250. Cooked for several hours at dome 200. Eventually opened the vents to what I would expect to give 350, and had a dome of 270.

14 pound head. At 7 hours, all parts were above 190F.

The aroma of the fat I was spooning out of the pan was intoxicating. Image standing over a vat of frying bacon. It was a serious inducement to feeding frenzy.

A MOST sumptuous meal. My son had a good comment. "This is what steak aspires to be."

Happy Egging, all.

Headcooked.jpg
744 x 595 - 124K

Comments