Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let the battle begin!!

Options
MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Happy 4rth to all!

Started the morning early with a little "drive". Beautiful morning! We have a new coal power plant and mine being built about an hour from here so flew down to see it about 7 this morning.

Now it's time to get the smoke on! Ive taken a lot of pics. None are to be the standard as I am such a newbie. But with all te questions I just thought I'd show y'all how I do it and how I get success. Pics are pretty self explanatory I think. I do mY ribs with mustard and butt rub for about 4-5 hours at around 250 +- 25•

Then put melted butter and brown sugar on and foil with apples for another hour.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options

My father in law has an awesome storage table!

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    On the grill. This is how I have my vents for 250 +-25•

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I've been stone cold here for an 45 min now. Looks like we are set! Now gonna swim nap and eat up the other goodies.

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ha! That is the exact gasser that drove me to the egg. Tell him the first step is acceptance that he has a problem :))

(or is the first step "ask her out and treat her like a lady"?)

In always get the steps mixed up. No wonder I'm such a mess. :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

Here comes trouble!

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

XLBGE 
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    edited July 2012
    Options

Looking awesome!  What did you stuff that Bacon Explosion with?  Also you may want to put some rub or sauce on the Explosion.  Personal preference, I sprinkled Bad Byron's on mine when I put it on the grid  then about 20 minutes before I pulled it I hit it with some Jack Daniel's sauce.

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I really like your cooking table! Ha ha ha ha! 

Looks like your cook is tucking along, really like Bacon Explosions. What kind or kinds of sausage are you using?
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yea I forgot need to go sprinkle some sub on it. Plan on the JD sauce right before the end as well!!

Probe is in the fatty. Trucking along. I put sage jimmy dean sausage onions sharp cheddar and then some JD BBQ sauce on inside.

XLBGE 
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    Dang that sounds great, time to make a Sandwhich explosion with my leftovers!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

i have got to make one of those!

• MrCookingNurse
    Options

4.5 hours. Off. Foiled with melted butter brown sugar apple juice concoction. One more hour ;)

XLBGE 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Question.  I hear many say to be gentle with Butt Rub on ribs.  You seemed to be very heavy handed with it so now i'm curious.

Were they too salty and what are your thoughts on Butt Rub?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    what model of a tail-dragger is that? 
    Envious.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Question.  I hear many say to be gentle with Butt Rub on ribs.  You seemed to be very heavy handed with it so now i'm curious.

cazzy, I love Byron's Butt Rub on butts but agree with you about the ribs. I liberally applied some to ribs and it was way too salty for me. That is why I ordered some Dizzy Dust, which is much better on ribs to me. If you look at the ingredients of Butt Rub, salt is the very first one. Just right on a huge chunk of butt but too much for my liking on ribs. To each their own though I suppose.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

I love the flavor. It doesn't make much bark. Mmm yea I put a good coat of it on these. I just got a dizzy pig order in so I'll be changing
    what model of a tail-dragger is that? 
    Envious.
    1947 Stinson Voyager. It's a blast. Do you fly?

XLBGE 
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    You are going to love the Dizzy Dust I bet. If not I bet you could get a better bark with Butt Rub by mixing in turbinado sugar. Butt Rub says no sugar added on the shaker. The sugar would caramelize and help with the bark. I know that is one of the ingredients in Dizzy Dust. Also on the Dizzy Pig website they say to mix that 50/50 with Cow Lick for brisket which is where I got the idea from. I tried it and it worked great. They don't put any in the Cow Lick because it is designed for high temperature steak cooks. I've read somewhere that the turbinado sugar holds up better to the heat of bbqing better than regular table sugar and you can get it at the grocery store.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Nice thread, well done.
    Cookin in Texas