Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really fun, easy, awesome Bruschetta

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
This one of of our old favorites since owning the Boar's Head Shop a few years back. Always a big hit on catering jobs and at home as well. This was SUPPOSED to be done on the egg tonight as we are doing pizzas but TFJ did them in the oven when I was on a beer run. Almost inexcusable, however, taking my recent transgressions into account I decided to let it slide with a smile :)

So here we go:

Get a Baguette

Get a Boar's Head (HEB does their own and they are good too) Panino. This is Salame wrapped in Mozzarella.

Slice the Baguette, slice the panino thin as well and place on the baguette slices. Place in egg on pizza stone at pizza temps (500 ish) and pull when cheese is melted.

Finish with fresh basil, fresh cracked pepper and basalmic reduction (if desired- it's good but I didn't put it on for these pics)

Super easy and people cannot stop eating them. Great for parties and pizza night

If you do them in the oven, just broil until melted

Pics to follow from photobucket

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I'm building a repertoire of appetizers and this might make the list.  Thank you ! 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    ive done that on burgers but that looks alot better on the toast. open faced grill cheeses
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Agreed This is a great idea for appetizers. I think I will be taking this one.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

Looks very good

tasty

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    appetizers :))i was thinking dinner for a few nights this week
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Gary and Tuttle- I have a bunch more from our catering menu. Not all egg realted but all very good. Be glad to share them all. I'll dig them up. Smoked Duck Canape' was my fave. I actually posted it for another guy who had some duck a few weeks back. He said it was a big hit. It's awesome (I can say that because I didn't come up with it, my chefs did).
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    appetizers :))i was thinking dinner for a few nights this week

They are good for dinner. Pretty much what I had tonight. They are like food crack.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Hmm that looks good trader joes has prosciutto wrapped mozzarella like that. I will give it a try with that and the balsamic vinegar reduction. Like the basil. Basil and mozzarella are made for each other.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Wow looks great. This is going on the list. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hmm that looks good trader joes has prosciutto wrapped mozzarella like that. I will give it a try with that and the balsamic vinegar reduction. Like the basil. Basil and mozzarella are made for each other.

Yep, prosciutto is really good too. We alternated or mixed and matched. I think boar's head has 3 or 4 other flavors. They all work.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    looks good... gotta see where i can get that at!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    looks good... gotta see where i can get that at!

Any store or deli that sells boars head will have them or can get.
  • XLBalco
    Options
    yea- i was thinking italia imports will be the place to get it!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yea- i was thinking italia imports will be the place to get it!

There are other brands out there so look around. I'm just more familiar withi BH as I had a deli with them for a few years.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Looks great gunna do that this week. 
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    That looks realy good, I'm going to try them tonight. Thanks for posting.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Thanks C T, got to try some of those. Your pics look tasty.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks C T, got to try some of those. Your pics look tasty.
    My pics were delicious :))

So easy they almost aren't fair (but nobody has to know)

• Slobberdog
    Slobberdog Posts: 54
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but how do you prepare the basalmic reduction?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No ignorance at all. You can do it one of 2 ways:

Buy it (which is what we do) or you can reduce balsamic vinegar on the stove by simmering it down to a syrupy consistency (which is way cheaper and what we did when we owned the restaurant). Any good grocery will have balsamic reduction either on the salad dressing aisle or sometimes even the spice aisle.It's very simple to make (if you can simmer water, you can make a reduction) but we generally buy it.

• Slobberdog
    Slobberdog Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks. Good to know. I'm going to try these out on some buddies later in the week when we gather for playoff basketball and Ranger baseball.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Slobberdog thank you for asking that and John thanks for the answer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Slobberdog thank you for asking that and John thanks for the answer.
    Glad to do it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Here is the one we use. Nothing special about it but wanted you to see kind of what it would look like on the shelf.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm building a repertoire of appetizers and this might make the list.  Thank you ! 
    Normaly, I would ask anyone using "repertoire" if they knew how to spell it but obviously you do. :)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options

Cen-Tex,

I just had to dig this thread up and say thanks! I was in a rib competition over the weekend and was cooking goodies to share on a spare egg. I made these along with wings, ABT's and pizza. The bruschetta was a home run. Had folks coming by all day for more. Some people actually used their fingers to lick the balsamic reduction that spilled over to the platter.

I pretty much followed your lead, in addition after I cut the baguette slices I brushed one side with garlic infused EVOO, flipped them over, put the panino on and egged them for a minute or two. It was a very windy day so I couldn't keep the basil from blowing away when I tried to apply after I pulled them. Follow on batches I put the basil on before the Panino and worked great.

And as Cen-Tex said these are super easy and a huge hit. By the way, I was able to find the Panino in a grocery store here in the deli section by the fancy cheeses. I also did my own balsamic reduction, Super simple.

Highly recommended!

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • XLBalco
    Options
    yea - i cant find the balsamic reduction anywhere- lol.. nor the panino.  looks like i will buy the prosciutto version again!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cool! Glad you enjoyed. Good job in the reduction too.