Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what did i do wrong with my butt?

Options
Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a pork butt yesterday.  6.5lbs.  indirect around 280.  covered with a dizzy pig seasoning.  cooked it to 200.  let it cool, pulled it apart and put in fridge.. eating it now.. not moist like i wanted.  what did i do wrong? 

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Sounds like nothing! Maybe only go to 195F internal temp next time. Still, five degrees shouldn't make that much difference. Sometimes it's the meat, but that's not usually the case with pork. I just pulled a shoulder cooked to 200F also. Thought it was a little dry but only a spot or two, rest is ok. Maybe you got that (lean) spot? Forunately there's sauce!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Kristinnn, this may help.  When I pull the pork I spray it liberally with apple juice.  Pork loves apple juice.  Spraying the pulled pork with the apple juice and putting some rub on the pulled pork and lots of times we don't even sauce it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Are you eating it cold or cool? All the gelatin sets up when cool, and any leftover fat congeals. Will not seem moist, or very tender.

Pulled pork must be gently re-heated. There should not be much moisture left, but lots of gel that when warm enough to be liquid will give a succulent mouth feel.  Folks often add some cola, or some generic sauce for the re-heat.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I will even sprinkle some water over mine when I reheat it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you let it cool.

remember that you basically drive all the conventional moisture ('juiciness') out of it by taking it WAY past the temps you would allow a regular roast to reach.  if you had taken it off at 140, for example, it would be plenty juicy.  but it would also have been plenty tough.

the strategy with PP is to cook it so long that the stuff which makes it tough (collagen), breaks down.  unfortunately, at these temps, most moisture from water (which is what a roast's juiciness really is) has been driven off.  or, when it is opened up, evaporates quickly when exposed to the air and being 200 degrees.

thankfully, the collagen not only breaks down making the meat tendr, but it literally becomes gelatin.  and that melted gelatin's slipperiness and succulence is what replaces the long-gone water.

but if allowed to cool, the gelatin solidifies (just as Jell-O does).  this binds the meat back together, and is also no longer 'wet' in feel.

problems arise when you reheat.  reheating to the point where the gelatin melts takes energy.  that reheating helps to drive any further remaing moisture (water) away.  reheating more than a few times, and you are in trouble.

if you ate it cold (it sounds like you did, but i'd be surprised if you didn't reheat), it would not have any melted gelatin, and would be very dry.

if you did reheat, you'd have some gelatin, but less moisture than if you just ate it while hot.

no reason to rest PP, or allow it to cool.  it's best eaten right then and there.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kristinnn
    Options
    Good information thanks.  Last night it did seem perfect but it was late and we already ate.  I did re-heat it..next time ill pay more attention and make sure i dont over heat and add some water too..and ill try that apple juice suggestion. 

I do buy grass fed meat sooo... i imagine that doesnt help since there will be less marbling..but it seemed to have quite a bit of fat.

There is this place called the lazy pig here and their pork is so freakin good fresh AND reheated..sometimes it practically melts in your mouth.  i guess i had my hopes high and thought it would turn out like theirs.
  • stike
    Options
    when i reheat it, i use the microwave (for small batches).  it's quick.

if i have a tray of it, i will keep it in a foil tray covered in foil, and will sometimes add some liquid.  but it is always best fresh from the egg.  let it trest an hour or so, not for juiciness's sake, but just so it isn't so hot when you shred it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    when i reheat it, i use the microwave (for small batches).  it's quick.

if i have a tray of it, i will keep it in a foil tray covered in foil, and will sometimes add some liquid.  but it is always best fresh from the egg.  let it trest an hour or so, not for juiciness's sake, but just so it isn't so hot when you shred it
    I do all of those (including Tweev's) and they work fine. I also now put it in my Sous Vide at 120 and let it warm that way. According to the SV folks 120 is the perfect "mouth feel" (their words, not mine) and it works very well.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    I'm sorry but after reading the brisket story above the obvious answer is you weren't drunk enough :)
  • Kristinnn
    Options
    I'm sorry but after reading the brisket story above the obvious answer is you weren't drunk enough :)
    i dont know i was drinking through a straw and praying for no hangover when i woke up this morning :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That was a mess. Had to share.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Ah ha! That's what happened here, we waited 6-1/2 hours to pull. Internal temp was down to 127F. Tadaaaa, thanks!
  • tvest43
    tvest43 Posts: 20
    Options
    Ya' know, this is gonna sound like cheating, but I smoke my butts for about 4-6 hours, and THEN pop 'em in the crock pot over night in about an inch of apple juice if I'm gonna pull it.  Wanna talk about tender and juicy?   Try that little trick. 
  • Kristinnn
    Options
    i will try that.  i have cooked one in the crock pot and it turned out great.  I almost dont want to because when i spend a poop load of money on a cooker i expect it to work perfect but i need to remember the learning curve.. ive only had it 2 weeks lol :)

Thanks for everyones help
  • stike
    Options
    it did work perfectly.  the egg had no idea the pork was gonna go into the fridge
    :))
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    IMO the optimum temp is 185 internally. Less than 185 is fatty wet product and beyond that is dry product.

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    Did you have a drip pan with some sort of liquid in it?  If not, that might help
  • tvest43
    tvest43 Posts: 20
    Options

Kristinnn, that's the magic of cooking.......use the Egg for what it can do, and then do what you know......will still get the Egg goodiness out of it.........

A lot of people are right on here, don't "overthink" things.....wouldn't have bought an egg if you didn't know how to cook.  The crock pot method works great......and your house smells like a smoker in the morning....lol

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    i will try that.  i have cooked one in the crock pot and it turned out great.  I almost dont want to because when i spend a poop load of money on a cooker i expect it to work perfect but i need to remember the learning curve.. ive only had it 2 weeks lol :)

Thanks for everyones help
    stike explaine what happened. If you have a vacuum sealer bag the pulled pork and reheat in simmering water for a good long while. PP isn't the best served cold

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Harold Ray
    Harold Ray Posts: 1
    Options
    How long was this cooked or did I miss that?
  • Rblument
    Rblument Posts: 27
    Options
    Ok. I just did my first one and it actually came out great. The end was a tad dry but it got rave reviews from my wife and kids. I cooked mine at 250, for the most part, but at some times it got a bit higher (270ish) bc I mistakenly let the fire get away from me and I think I used too much charcoal. I did a 5.5 lb pork butt that I got from my butcher which had lots of fat on one side. I cooked it fat side up directly on grill with an aluminum pan on top of the platesetter with a little water as a drip pan. Started it about 5:45 am this morn and it hit 195 about 4:45-5:00 pm. Wrapped it in foil for about 15 minutes until the reat of din was ready, then pulled it and ate it warm. It was delish. From what I have learned from the forum I think u might have been better off wrapping it in foil and a towel and putting it in cooler rather than fridge. I m told it will stay warm for about 5 hrs that way. Next time try cooking it at 250-260, fat side up, and take it off the grill at 195 IT. But like others have said, it was prob the meat itself as well. Hope that helps.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Next time, pull the pork right off the Egg and toss it in a crock pot. Add some apple juice (apparently some use chicken broth or cola too). Reheat it on low. This will add some moisture back in during reheat. Did my first butt this weekend using this method and it turned out great. Keep in mind that your bark will not be crisp using this method. I didn't mind though - the flavor was still there.
  • Kristinnn
    Options
    How long was this cooked or did I miss that?
    it took about 11 hours
  • Kristinnn
    Options
    cool i got a lot of great ideas here for next time.  i spent the day watching re runs of bbq pitmasters too haha so i got some more hints and i see all the apple juice ppl use.

i did cook it fat side up and had a drip pan

i think ill try ribs next.. time for the hunt of how to cook those :)
  • stike
    Options
    Rblument: don't worry about the amount of charcoal.  there's no effect on the temp, it's the size of the FIRE which determines the temp, and the size of the fire is determined by the vents, not the amount of available fuel.  just as your car does not go faster with a full tank, the egg will not be hotter because it is full

in general, it's the cooling and reheating that causes dryness.  it really is best eaten straight off the egg, but if you need to hold it a few hours, you can go a long while by putting it in a cooler and allowing it to sit, insulated.  it'll still be hot after 5 hours or more