Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon curing

13»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ends are the best.  i give away most of my cured stuff, but never give away the pancetta, bacon, bresaola or duck prosciutto ends. i'm not stupid....
    hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    pork belly prices have skyrocketed past few years.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    The $5 a pound stuff you make will be way better than the $4/lb you buy.
  • stike
    edited May 2012
    yep. that's all brine cured on the way TO you.  and that brine is water.  so your 4 buck a pound stuff at 20% water added is close to what fresh bellies cost anyway. yield is higher too
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    In my opinion, there is nothing better than putting bacon slices on in the egg alongside smoking something else (butt, ribs, brisket whatevere).  Just lay them out on the grate and let them go for a few hours, love it.  Oven nice to, but nothing beats bacon slices in the egg at 250 degrees
  • Mighty_Quinn
    yep. that's all brine cured on the way TO you.  and that brine is water.  so your 4 buck a pound stuff at 20$ water added is close to what fresh bellies cost anyway. yield is higher too

Truth...
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    I have a 3 lb piece of belly in a zip loc bag with kosher salt, brown sugar, honey and pepper right now. I will cure it four days and then smoke it with applewood at 200 until 150 internal. I didn't have any pink salt, should I worry about that? ( pork belly here is $1.99 a lb)
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Probably no reason to worry about anything, but the pink salts are what gives the real cured bacon flavor and red/pink color....Smoked pork belly is good, but it's not bacon.
  • GlennM
    Mine is ready for the egg today. Do you smoke it direct or use the plate setter
  • GlennM
    Thanx I will put it on in about 10 minutes. Hope it works out well!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Thick bacon is awesome. Cook it in the oven at 400 and you will have an unbelievable treat
    Exactly how I make all of my bacon. Perfectly cook every time.
  • IrishDevl
    I just might have to get a fresh belly this weekend and do another.  Not sure how I will cure yet (spices), but I do believe it is time.  You peeps inspire me.
  • GlennM
    All done and resting in the fridge. I will fry some up tomorrow. I was surprised that it didn't take on a lot of color.
  • stike
    Needs heavier than normal smoke for a hot-smoke, because it doesnt take long to hit 150. If i have time i hot-smoke as low as is feasible. If i have a lotta time, i cold smoke
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2013
    I've been looking into Makin' bacon. Can anyone share the basic recipe? I want to make sure I don't over salt it or over cure it. This is what I've found as a base recipe. 5 lbs. fresh pork belly. Skin-on or skin-off. It is OK to slice the belly into pieces to fit in your bags / containers. - 2 oz. Kosher salt (1/4 cup), Kosher salts vary in size of crystal- using weight is better. - 2 teaspoons pink curing salt #1 (see here for source) - 4 bay leaves, crumbled - 4 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper, freshly ground if possible - 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg - ¼ cup dark brown sugar - 1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed with a knife. The garlic shows in the final product, if you do not like garlic or the cloves are large- adjust to taste. - 5 sprigs fresh thyme (optional- we love thyme and use it, it adds a very savory note) Was thinking to leave out some of the savory note and add more black pepper, brown sugar, and maple syrup. 7 days cure and smoke with hickory and apple. How does that sound?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mighty_Quinn
    sounds good to me...I like maple in the cure.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    stike said:
    pork belly prices have skyrocketed past few years.

Thought you were back for a second there....sniff

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I've never smoked below 250-275. How can I get it lower? The vents are practically closed when I run a Butt indirect. Looking for 150 internal, I read.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    I am able to get the egg stabile at 180 - 200. Keep trying fix vents it should get there.
    Devil, do you just load the lump as you would for a low and slow? Or is there a different lump setup to get cool smoke? About long should it take to get to 150? I want to get the setup figured out before I gather the ingredients to start the cure. Thanks for the help.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    You won't need as much lump, but same set-up. If you are asking how long for bacon to 150, I think it took two - three hours. If egg is 200 that is fine it will still take a while to cook bacon to 155 desired temp.
    Has Stike left the Egghead Congregation? Devil, did you ever do a savory bacon? Which did you prefer? I've had trouble maintaining a long smoke time. I drop the chunks on the lump just before I start the cook, and it runs for just an hour or so. When I open it up after the cook, I find that a few chunks never lit, even though the Butt cook was 10 hours. I'm doing something wrong there, but I'm not sure how to get more smoke without opening the lid on a low and slow.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    I am a fan of both really just personnel choice. I would buy the book Charcuterie it has plenty of recipes and tips. Members here and I live it. Don't sweat the smoking wood so much happens to me as well. As long as you get the smoke on the meat in the beginning you are fine. I think this is when it sticks best.
  • IrishDevl
    And Stike is no longer here. A good guy, but got into it a bit with some members and decided to move on - at least this is what I think happened. Might be back at some point in future and possibly lurks. Think he just sleeps with celebrities now.
    Thanks for the help Devil. That gives me the confidence to try it. How bad can it be? It's bacon and Egg. Gotta be tasty.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    Definitely, the only issue I ever had was over-curing the pork belly. Can be to salty this way.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2013
    I use the A maze n smoker and cold smoke. It's way better IMO than hot smoked bacon. Here it is at 11pm last night (see dome thermo) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Still gong strong at 10am this morning: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Works great and texture is just like normal bacon. Hot smoke is much more firm. For $40 it's a great tool and it does exactly what they say.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dang. Egg needs a bath! Had tons of rain last week and the cap is leaking some delicious goo down my egg. Mmmmm, goo
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX