Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More heat gun press

Options
travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend, I finally used a heat gun. It is the fastest and easiest way I've started my lump so far. I've been using isopropyl alcohol and like it very much. The heat gun however, is much faster and more precise.

In my opinion, wherever a 120v plug is available, the heat gun is the superior fire starting method. Here is a link to the one I used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004TUCV
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Good to ear Travis. I'll pick it up!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    trav, have you tried a weed burner or just the regular electric starter? I use both and find they work fast enough and very accurately.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    People that like "fast" usually prefer microwave ovens for the ultimate cooking appliance.  
    :-q

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    Options
    I have used the following methods of fire starting: newspaper with oil, parifin wax cubes, propane torch, and alcohol. I have seen the weed burner used in person.

Darn you, Gary! I am in no way, shape, or form involved with any microwaves! :ar!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    weedburner is fast, too.  i dunno.  i have tried a lot of different ways.  i tend to count the whole experience/aggravation/storage etc. into the mix.  i find the paper-napkin/oil gag as fast as anything else i have tried. a minute in the house. lit, minimum fuss at the egg, and back into the house prepping food as it comes to temp.

with the weedburner, i stand there a little longer, gotta haul out the propane and store it back again, and although it's at temp sooner, i still need to prep the food anyway.

the heat gun looks interesting from the guy's vid the other day.  i'm just not one for standing and pointing propane bottles or MAPP in one spot for a minute, then another, then another...

i have beer i could be drinking
    :)>-

someday someone (not me!) may do a youtube vid of four side-by-side tests with fresh lump, and lighting the grill four different ways, and checking time to 400 (clean)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    I have used a mapp torch since I got my egg and have found it to be very effective at starting a small area quickly but not so good for a larger fire, with all the hype about heat guns recently I dug mine out this weekend and gave it a shot and I was very impressed with the result, if you want raging fire, no problem also if you want a small fire no problem, I totally agree they're the way forward for me.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Ive been intrigued by all the heat gun talk. But my dad gave me and old electric starter he had. It's free it works and I can't complain about the five minutes it takes. I place the lump place the starter plug it in and get a drink then by the time I've got my cooking stuff or food ready it ready to come out shut top and wait on temp to get where I want it.

All that rambling just to say different strokes for different folks.

XLBGE 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    I like the weed burner for higher temp cooks because it lights the whole top layer of coals fairly evenly and very quickly, i egg on the driveway usually and the weed burner stays connected to my propane tank that's usually under 20 ft away. Its too much fun to not use, gotta love the sound of jet engines!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I tried the heat gun too and it worked great. If I had run electric to my table, it would be my preferred method of starting the egg. Unfortunately I had a stamped concrete patio put in and didn't put conduit in for more electric. Digging put an extension cord is too much work. (I know, I'm lazy).
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

I bought an inexpensive hardware store heat gun, and it worked well, and really helped with my cramped evening cooking schedule.  That said, after not too long I managed to melt the plastic body of the gun a little right at the heat element/spout, which apperantly was enough to make it inopperable.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Looftlighter.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options

I recently switched to using Harbor Freight's Pro model heat gun which has a metal body and 6" long metal spout so no melting. 

For low & slow cooks you have to be a bit prudent in it's use - that hot air wants to light much more charcoal than what you see turning red and one tends to light the whole bed without trying or being aware of it.    I'm thinking of a work around for this as I prefer to light just the core of the bed for low & slow cooks.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Looftlighter.

Kind of looking forward to the fall season so I can try lighting a fire in the fireplace with this thing :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have been using my heat gun for probably a year and a half since I saw a looftlighter being demoed at a local egg store. I had a heat gun from when my college apartment A/C unit used to freeze all the time and I wanted it melted fast so I tried it and it worked great. As stated above the heat gun will melt if you leave it on the fire too long my first one died from that. I bought a new Wagner one from home depot for $22 and now I put the heat gun directly on the lump until it starts popping out of the egg and then I hang the heat gun over the side of the egg pointing at the lit spot a couple inches above it and in 5 minutes I can have my small pretty much lit from side to side.
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    I have been using a MAPP torch and one parafin starter block.  Seem to work consistently for me.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Wow! You guys are really obsessing on the starting methods.  What is the rush?  If you are doing a low and slow cook you will be sitting out all day anyway.  One parafin starter bloc is all I use with no extra attachments.  BTW, a good Irish whiskey is optional at all times.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    The rush is that I cook every night on two Eggs, one for meat and one for veggies.  After getting home from an hour commute, doing my evening exercise, and trying actually get to talk to my wife, I then prepare the cook.  I usually end up eating at 2000 or later, and since I get up at 0600, go to bed only a couple hours after eating.  If I can shave 15 or 30 minutes off of preparation time it is worth it.

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    People that like "fast" usually prefer microwave ovens for the ultimate cooking appliance.  

=))
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    I use a propane torch. Works for me. Easy and fast. No big
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options

=))
    I believe my posts speak for themselves.

• NightwingXP
    Options
    Oh they do Doc, but I am like stike. I spend about minute and a half blasting a spot or two of lump with my propane and then go inside to prep food. After 5-7 min I shut the lid and keep preppin. Then I can dial the temp in and start cookin. I guess in my opinion its an improvement of maybe 5-10 minutes which I have and you obviously don't. Different strokes for different folks. You need to use what ever is best for you. I don't disagree. Hey whatever makes your Egging experience enjoyable, I will not be the one to take it away from you! I just liked VI's humor. Not a shot at you! I seriously thought about getting a looflighter but the wife likes it when I don't spend money we don't have. I hope you have fun lighting that fireplace with your LL!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Understand, actually considered getting a torch but just didn't go that way.  If I still had my oxyacetylene rig I probably would have tried it.  I know you can sure promote a fire by feeding it pure O2!

• travisstrick
    Options
    I'm with doc. I leave my house at 0445 every morning and don't get home till 1730 at the earliest. Starting the egg quickly is a big deal. My xl behaves very different than a large. The large starts much quicker.
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    And I have a medium so I'm sure mine starts faster than yours Trav. "One man's meat is another man's poison I always say". (Now I'm quoting Bugs Bunny........who's screwed up here!)

:D
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I agree with MikeG above. I started using a heat gun I had laying around and couldn't believe how fast it lit the coals and have been using it since, but I found that I still prefer mapp gas for my lower smokier cooks.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Isn't it silly getting prickly over your grilling methods.  Love to cook, perhaps a bit touchy on the subject :-)

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Isn't it silly getting prickly over your grilling methods.  Love to cook, perhaps a bit touchy on the subject :-)
    Doc, I don't believe I referenced you or even thought about you in any of my posts.  I was kidding with Travis, who I consider a good friend with thick skin.

As far as lighting techniques, I think it's a personal choice, like "boxers or briefs".

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    The rush is that I cook every night on two Eggs, one for meat and one for veggies.  After getting home from an hour commute, doing my evening exercise, and trying actually get to talk to my wife, I then prepare the cook.  I usually end up eating at 2000 or later, and since I get up at 0600, go to bed only a couple hours after eating.  If I can shave 15 or 30 minutes off of preparation time it is worth it.
    I'm with doc. I leave my house at 0445 every morning and don't get home till 1730 at the earliest. Starting the egg quickly is a big deal. My xl behaves very different than a large. The large starts much quicker.
    Same boat here. That's why 99% of my egging is on weekends. Otherwise, she preps, I execute.
    During the week, exercise @ 5:15 (hopefully), Catch a 6:39 train, in work by 7:30, Home about 1800, start dinner, talk with the wife after our son goes to sleep at 8.

Needed a quick start method. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Ah, everything you commit time and effort to is a piece of your life, be it hobby or work.  I am touchy about my cooking, my concertina playing, and my shooting (especially my flintlock).  No offense taken, and hopefully none given.  With one single exception, I have found the BGE forum to be filled with the most friendly and helpful folks you could hope to meet.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Ah, everything you commit time and effort to is a piece of your life, be it hobby or work.  I am touchy about my cooking, my concertina playing, and my shooting (especially my flintlock).  No offense taken, and hopefully none given.  With one single exception, I have found the BGE forum to be filled with the most friendly and helpful folks you could hope to meet.
    Well, I agree with you Doc.  You are not a flash in the pan and I like your cooks, lock, stock, and barrel.  No need to get into a frizzen over some of the things said here.

And, when somebody here seems to go off half cocked, just remember to chill a bit like you do during that half second lock time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• NightwingXP
    Options
    I agree Doc. The people I have been fortunate to interact with here are very helpful and friendly. Sorry if I started a mountain out of a molehill. I think we all agree that the ole' Egg forum is nothing short of a slice of heaven. Thanks to all that put up with me!