Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must Have Accessories for Green Egg

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, since I will be calling dealers in the morning, besides what comes with the Large Green Egg, what other tings will I need right away to get me going?

I like the stone idea, and as of now plan on going with the Large model.

I hear things like plate setter, is this something I will use right away.

I am sure I will buy many accessories later but trying to get the must have's when I get the grill.
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Platesetter
    A Nest or table
    A cover to keep it looking shiny is nice
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    Gotta get a pizza stone..you'll never eat pizza another way. And some sort of lighting tool. Mapp or electric
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    If only one thing .... platesetter. It is how you roast otherwise the BGE is just a big grill.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I would say a Thermapen, if you don't already have one.
  • simpson_eh
    Options
    I'm pretty new at this, so take this for what it's worth, but here's my $.02

Get immediately: platesetter, nest or table

Get as soon as possible: thermapen, a good variety of dizzy pig

Get one of these days: ash rake, grid extender, baking stone

Get after you have everything else: v-rack, dutch oven

Get if you need it: a tel-tru dome thermometer in case the BGE one is unreliable.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Greetings,
    The easiest answer is one of everything. Also a decent digital camera to take and post pics.
    Good Luck
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Pa,
    Check out this link, you might want to get an Adjustable rig and not the plate setter. Both will work but more options with the A rig. The products are top shelf and if you call Tom he can advise and answer any questions you might have.
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=54
    I also recommend that you check out this site also.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Have a great day,
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Buckdodger
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with ur BGE. In addition to the items already mentioned I use a cast iron grid for a lot of cooks, steaks & burgers especially. Enjoy. :)

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Don't forget to get a couple of bags of lump. You can get a pack of the compressed wood chip starters to get you going until you decide which lighting technique you want to use long term. I think there are 24 squares in a pack that costs about 5 or 6 bucks. All the other posts are very good advice, including the comment about needing a digital camera. Welcome to the cult.

Uglydog
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    If you look at my website you will see I can handle the camera part. ;)
    www.kyserphoto.com
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Depends on the type of cooks you plan on doing.
    Low and slows need a platesetter, drip pan, and a BBQ Guru
    high temps direct grilling, woo2 or adjustable rasied grid, third hand, a possibly a CI grid
    Baking, Pizza and breads, a Pizza stone.
    Soups and stews, a spider and CI dutch oven

fyi, High temp gloves, map gas to start your lump, Billy Bar to clean your grid. Grid brush
    That should get you started. Also plan on attending a fest. You will get tons of ideas.. btw, you have a nice web site. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    To cook anything and everything you see on the forum, and more, here's everything that you need:

1) platesetter

2) extended grid

3) pizza stone

Those 3 items can be substituted with the extended rig from the ceramicgrillstore.com.

4) a (or the) grid lifter

5) ash tool (to stir the lump between uses, and to wiggle the ash grate when needed).

6) a grid cleaning brush.

That's it!

If you have some money left over, a thermapen will make sure you catch your cooks at the perfect moment.

Mark
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    New Folks ask that question from time to time and they get buried with responses recommending everything from a DigiQ II to a DFMT.

If cost and storage space are no issue, then go for all of it. But it really depends on what and how you like to cook.

I built a table for my Egg before I got it so I had that from the beginning. Stike had his first Egg for years before I got mine and he still doesn't use either table or nest. It all depends on what you need.

I find the Thermapen indespensible, but that's just me.

I use it as well as the Ash tool, grid brush and grid lifter (pliers) on every cook.

I use the plate setter, raised grid and welders gloves a lot too.

I use the spider & wok, pizza stone and rib rack not as much but I'm glad I have them and would recommend them.

If you intend to do long cooks like Butts, Shoulders and Brisket, you'll need a remote thermometer like the Maverick ET-73. I got that one because a friend had it and sent me a link.
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    I'll be curious to see what debate comes from this but, I would get a Ceramic Grill Store spider and stone combo instead of the platesetter. It is far less cumbersome and very versatile. Either way you will want some type of diffuser. The other add on I use constantly is the Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Pa-BBQ,

Most of all enjoy what you are doing and if you plan your cooks all may go better. Tim

When you get your BGE I suggest you calibrate your dome thermometer by boiling water. Here is how:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=88

I would suggest the thermapen for the final say in food prep.

You may go with the Maverick ET-73 for monitoring the low and slow cook (Be warned that it's easy to fry the ET-73's probes).

I suggest the plate setter.

A drip pan for the plate setter.

A cast iron food grate.
    Now I use spacers to raise my food grate up to the bottom gasket. It also doubles as a two tier food grate.

000_1246.jpg

or a grid extender

000_1247.jpg

I also suggest a wiggle rod and a third hand.

000_0976.jpg

Click here for this stuff.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    1. Plate setter

2. The new 3 tier grid by BGE. Fits the large and gives you 3 cooking surfaces. The reason I enjoy this product is that you can adjust, remove and rotate the top 2 levels. This weekend we did Chicken breasts on one level, veggies on another and 'taters on the third. All done at the same time. It is a MUST HAVE. Runs $59.95, but some dealers have a hard time keeping in stock.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    For essentials...I would say first is plate setter and then grill extender. Other stuff can come later or be improvised. I would also suggest that you master the art/skill of low and slow manually at first before getting any sort of pit minding device (BBQ Guru/Stoker)...this allows you to better understand nuances and workings of the Egg.
    As another tip I have gotten the dealer to through in the plate setter for free on both eggs I have purchased. But I realize this will vary dealer to dealer.

Wayne
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    If only one thing then a platesetter, it just makes it so versatile.
    Better still a Woo ring and a pizza stone (rather than the platesetter) ( the ash rig and pizza stone is also recommended here)
    Next on my list would be a third hand and a grill wizard
    I assume you have tongs and kebab skewers
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I have a Stoker on my Wsm, all I have to do is get an adapter for the egg, but so far its easy to maintain temps.
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa.