Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet aging brisket?

Options
Not sure how I got this bug in my head this week, but I figured I want to try it out.

Searched the interwebz a bit. Seems that wet aging in the cryopac up to 60 days from the pack date is doable. The pack date is not readily known unless you know the source of the beef, or the meat counter  folks tell you the pack date stamped on the case. The date on the cryopac itself is usually the sell by date. 

Since I was at Costco last night to pick up some storm supplies (milk for caliprince, bourbon for me), I picked up a prime brisket too. The cryopac says pack date= 8/22, sell by date= 8/29. Couldn't find a meat counter person to get the pack date from the case. As I was leaving, there were a bunch of boxes outside, some of which were IBP boxes (same packer as the brisket) for prime beef loin, NY strip, etc. Pack dates= 8/3 or 8/4, so I'm assuming the brisket too  was packed some time in the first week of August. 

So how long should I wet age this brisket? Assuming it was packed 3-4 weeks ago, I'm thinking I'll try wet aging for 2 weeks. A colleague at work says he wet ages for 3-7 days from purchase, and notices a difference. My question is that if its already been in the cryopac for 3-4 weeks, hasn't it already wet aged a fair bit? Of course, its a different scenario if the beef is sourced from a butcher who breaks down their own primals or sub-primals.

And the disclaimer - I'm not a brisket god by any stretch, so who knows if I can even tell the difference between one that's been wet aged or not. I cook a couple of briskets a years (if even that) and usually do it 2-3 days from date of purchase. 

Discuss.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've wet-aged for 123 days, mostly because I forgot. The meat was a bit more "iron-y" but otherwise, not much different than fresh. I've done up to 60 normally, again, not for any reason other than plans changed. Anything beyond "oh, I forgot about that - wonder how it smells" is too much of a reason for me to plan on it based on past results.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I'm normally a few weeks on mine 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I went north of 90 days once with a Costco packer.  I'm not sure how much longer, maybe 120 but not more.  I wouldn't say it was noticeably better.  It stunk coming out of the bag, but a quick rinse too care of that.  If there is improvement, it must peak then start to fall off before 90 days...n=1
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    So is there any consensus as to whether wet aging made a worthwhile  difference?

I dry aged some prime  rib a while back, and though it was pretty good, I doubt I'll put too much effort etc. in to make it happen again. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I have wet aged SRF Black for a couple of weeks and I didn't notice any "wow" factor difference.  Of course I didn't do a side-by-side taste test.  The cow is such a variable.  I know it won't hurt (up to a point).
    SRF advertises that they wet-age the Gold grade briskets for 21+ days if that's any help.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think it just gave me confidence that I'm safe to let it sit for a while if needed.

Perhaps there is more of a benefit for lower grades than there is for prime.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had an old timer recommend as part of the wet aging process, taking the cryovac brisket out of the fridge and bend it around, once a day, to keep it flexible.

???
    Gittin' there...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Ashish... Stfu. Nobody cares 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    Options
    henapple said:
    Don't make me come over there and put a wet aged brisket up in yo middle TN a$$. 'coz I will...

...as soon soon as this hurricane is done.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    caliking said:
    henapple said:
    Don't make me come over there and put a wet aged brisket up in yo middle TN a$$. 'coz I will...

...as soon soon as this hurricane is done.
    @henapple might like wet aged meat in his...   just sayin

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @caliking... Bish please. Hunker down dude. Be safe. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you cook the livin' sh!t out of a cut of meat to make it tender, like brisket, short ribs, chuck roast, butt, or whatever, I don't believe that aging process will make any difference since you've denatured the livin' bejesus out of all the protein.
    Options
    ...that said, it definitely won't hurt.
    Options
    So yer sayin, old aged proteins are the same as young proteins after they've been denatured?  Might be onto some here.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm  sold on the idea either. But I'll try it and see what happens. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Best brisket I've ever cooked sat in my fridge 2 weeks. It was a Creekstone prime. I've cooked one other Creekstone prime - the day after I bought it. It wasn't as good. Probably just coincidence. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Just did a two month wet-aged AAA brisket that turned out fantastically. Brisket was noticeably more moist (i.e., jiggly!) than the same variety that I had not aged. Will definitely do again. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Best brisket I've ever cooked sat in my fridge 2 weeks. It was a Creekstone prime. I've cooked one other Creekstone prime - the day after I bought it. It wasn't as good. Probably just coincidence. 
    ,GrateEggspectations said:
    Just did a two month wet-aged AAA brisket that turned out fantastically. Brisket was noticeably more moist (i.e., jiggly!) than the same variety that I had not aged. Will definitely do again. 
    Any noticeable  difference in flavor? Or just texture?

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    ,GrateEggspectations said:
    Any noticeable  difference in flavor? Or just texture?
    Both I think. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    By the time most meat hits the market, it's been aged, dry and wet, for a week or two.  This step makes a noticeable improvement in quality and is an widespread industry practice.  No need to air freight beef to market like fish.

The next big step in improvement, based on incremental testing I've read is over another 4 weeks.  I'm not sure (given the level of cooking brisket typically gets) there is more of a noticeable difference than there is in the natural variation in brisket which can make a wide difference in perceived taste and quality.

I'd love to see someone cut a brisket long-wise in two and freeze one side and wet age the other for 4 weeks (then freeze to help take that out of the equation), and do a side-by-side comparison. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the wet aged were better or the same.
    Mine's now starting to show the small bubbles inside the Cryo. Hopefully it will make it till next Saturday.
    Gittin' there...
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    I've had both wet aged and dry aged beef.  The latter has a noticeable difference in flavor and texture.  By comparison wet aged is just kind of... meh.  Am I wrong?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    For brisket, I think wet ageing vs nothing is all we got.
    Gittin' there...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've had both wet aged and dry aged beef.  The latter has a noticeable difference in flavor and texture.  By comparison wet aged is just kind of... meh.  Am I wrong?
    For once you're right ;). Dry aged beef rocks.  Not so much for brisket.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited August 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    For once you're right ;)
    Thanks Nicole!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Mine's now starting to show the small bubbles inside the Cryo. Hopefully it will make it till next Saturday.
    Bubbles would worry me a bit of bacterial contamination.  @nolaegghead?
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I've read that's normal unless it starts to balloon.
    Gittin' there...
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Bubbles would worry me a bit of bacterial contamination.  @nolaegghead?
    I dunno.  Maybe that cow had a yeast infection...
    I'll make sure it passes the sniff test before I chow down on it.
    Gittin' there...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Bingo on that one. Brisket only has one avenue which is wet aging, and in my experience, letting it ride for a week in the fridge, provides no discernable difference.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky