Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Burnt Ends - Meat Candy!

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
I gave the Malcom Reed method another go yesterday afternoon and had the presence of mind to take a few photos. This recipe is a keeper.

Start with Costco Pork Belly. This was some of the leanest belly I've ever seen. Remove the skin and cut into cubes. For an idea of scale, the knife in the photo has a 10" blade.

Toss in your favorite dry rub. I throw all the cubes in a bag to mix it up for a couple hours.

Smoke indirect for about three hours at 250. I used pecan wood with my lump.

After smoking, they look about like this

Once they reach this stage, I load them in an aluminum dutch oven with a couple shots of apple juice, a handful of brown sugar, and some BBQ sauce. They go back on the egg for a couple more hours. Once you take them off the egg they don't last long. Juicy and melt in your mouth good! The juice/sugar/sauce mix creates a savory glaze on each piece.

Michiana, South of the border.

Comments