Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon ribs

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
These were but one of the many products of the recent Charcutapalooza (click for details) that went down in @20stone 's garage. 

They somehow found their way into my frig. Not much meat on these, since the goal was to maximize the belly, so decided to sear then braise these in stock from the piggy,  with cabbage, poatoes, carrots, mushrooms,  thyme, cumin, cayenne, and rub. Meant to add onions and loads of garlic, but was in a hurry and forgot. Doh!

Seared first. Rubbed with "Its My Rub" from the Underwoods (@EggObsessed).  

Loaded up the #12 CIDO with the stock, veg, and seasoning. 

Dumped the cabbage and artistically (sort of) arranged  the ribs on top.  

Let it roll for about 90 mins at 250°F. Few chunks of cherry for smoke.  Figured the gap would let some smoke in, the lid would add some direct heat to the meat, and that the pot would seal once things cooked down a bit. Turns out I was right on all counts. 

Not much to look at once it was done. 

Verdict - probably didn't win many points for visual appeal, but this pot o'stuff was good. Like eating bacon on a stick. And I like braised cabbage anyways. Not sure what this would be called, but I guess its somewhat like corned beef and cabbage?

Anyways, there will be more bacon ribs in my life. SWMBO agrees,  and caliprince ate these up. We don't eat much bacon, but we can all get behind bacon ribs.

Warning - for the sake of marital harmony, cabbage may not be ideal for dinner. There has been considerable "off-gassing",  and SWMBO has gone up to sleep with the kid. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• caliking
    Options
    Forgot to add that the recipe for the cure was from Ruhlman's Charcuterie ( I think).

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like you recreated an 18th century English country peasant's celebratory feast.  Strong work my friend.
    Options
    This reminds me of hąlupki, (hope I am correct on the spelling) a wonderful comfort food with pork, braised cabbage and potatoes. Your dish looks spectacular. Very fine meal.
    My grandmother used to make this dish for me on a wood fire. Inspired now to try it, thank you for posting. Awesome cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    Looks awesome and excellent job!! Reminds me of some old world cooking I grew up on. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks good. Something a little different. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • caliking
    Options
    Looks like you recreated an 18th century English country peasant's celebratory feast.  Strong work my friend.
    It felt like it. Couldn't figure out what kind of side it needed, since it had starch, veg, and meat already in it. Maybe I should have  picked gruel to keep with the peasant theme.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Nice!

Options
    I lead a sheltered life, I can't recall hearing about bacon ribs but now I have to do these.  Looks like a great pot o'stuff.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    caliking said:
    It felt like it. Couldn't figure out what kind of side it needed, since it had starch, veg, and meat already in it. Maybe I should have  picked gruel to keep with the peasant theme.

My Grandmother, as the times and place would require, made cornbread with a meal very similar to yours. Looking back, it is a miracle I do not weigh 500 lbs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    That looks incredible. That finished pic has me drooling. Not sure it needs a side dish, but cornbread is a good idea.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    caliking said:

My Grandmother, as the times and place would require, made cornbread with a meal very similar to yours. Looking back, it is a miracle I do not weigh 500 lbs.
    My grannie used to make biscuits or cornbread fresh every meal. Another thing we had almost all the time was fried potatoes. When there was not fried potatoes, there were boiled potatoes and she would fry up some fat back or bacon and put a little bowl of the drippings on the table to drizzle over the boiled potatoes. Wonderful stuff.
  • caliking
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    This reminds me of hąlupki, (hope I am correct on the spelling) a wonderful comfort food with pork, braised cabbage and potatoes. Your dish looks spectacular. Very fine meal.
    My grandmother used to make this dish for me on a wood fire. Inspired now to try it, thank you for posting. Awesome cook.
    Glad I helped jog some fond memories for you. I'll look that up to get some pointers. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice cook man!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Outstanding once more. That has got to be a Fri/Sat night hit for a Fest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I checked out a few recipes online for bacon ribs and most just seem to be 6-12 hour cure and then cook like ribs.   I was expecting to see cure for a week, soak some of the salt out and then slow smoke for a while and either eat after that, or freeze to be turbo'd later.  Most recipes had comments saying it was more ham-like than bacon, I would guess that's due to how they cooked them  vs how bacon is cooked (slow roast/smoke, no sear or fry).

What was your prep, how long were they cured?  Did you slow smoke them afterward (before you made your pot o stuff)?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I checked out a few recipes online for bacon ribs and most just seem to be 6-12 hour cure and then cook like ribs.   I was expecting to see cure for a week, soak some of the salt out and then slow smoke for a while and either eat after that, or freeze to be turbo'd later.  Most recipes had comments saying it was more ham-like than bacon, I would guess that's due to how they cooked them  vs how bacon is cooked (slow roast/smoke, no sear or fry).

What was your prep, how long were they cured?  Did you slow smoke them afterward (before you made your pot o stuff)?
    we cured for a week with basically the ruhlman cure. don't know if they were smoked or not- they were in the cure when I left Houston.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    @Legume - These tasted more like bacon than ham. Decided not to smoke them since a) there wasn't a lot of meat on these b) I didn't plan ahead :)

I have the recipe for the cure, which I will post later. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    You had me at "bacon ribs"

but cooking it it all up in a big pot of cabbage and potatoes? Brilliant. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:

My Irish roots shining through :smiley:

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:

My Irish roots shining through :smiley:
    I can tell you're one of those southern Irishmen... 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    Options
    @Legume - here's the cure for the bacon ribs, per notes provided by the charcuterer Andrew:
    (Stated as %age of the meat)

Bacon 
     salt              2.20
     Cure 1               0.25
         (pink salt #1)
    sugar 
    maple syrup              4.00

-Cure for 1 week

Took it out of the vac bag, and rinsed the cure off. No need to soak or desalinate (for me at least). 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    we cured for a week with basically the ruhlman cure. don't know if they were smoked or not- they were in the cure when I left Houston.
    I didn't see the cure, but it was Andrew's recipe that (IIRC) has less salt than Ruhlman.  We did have them in there for about 10 days.

I am glad they turned out.  I would have tried them myself (probably with less success), but I already have 30 lbs of belly in the cave
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Legume - here's the cure for the bacon ribs, per notes provided by the charcuterer Andrew:

Bacon 
     salt              2.20
         (pink salt #1)
    sugar 

-Cure for 1 week

Took it out of the vac bag, and rinsed the cure off. No need to soak or desalinate (for me at least). 
    What are the units? Grams or ounces? I'm assuming ounces.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:

Bacon 
     salt              2.20
         (pink salt #1)
    sugar 

-Cure for 1 week

Percentages based on the weight of the meat
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    20stone said:
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:

Bacon 
     salt              2.20
         (pink salt #1)
    sugar 

-Cure for 1 week

Stupid doctors forcing us to use math. People said I wouldn't need Algebra after High School!!!!1!!1!!!
  • SciAggie
    Options
    20stone said:
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:

Bacon 
     salt              2.20
         (pink salt #1)
    sugar 

-Cure for 1 week

Duh... I'm awake now...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Options
    someone told me I should post #aggiemath but I don't think that's fair
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Legume said:
    The real 12th man is gonna get you. Seahawk fans will just stew in bitter silence.
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
      Seahawk fans will just stew in bitter silence.
    This, I'm ok with.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Legume said:
    I might need it. :)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon