Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More bread...

Bread is good!
KA bread flour, salt, instant yeast. sugar, water, no knead, cover, wait 5 hours, then...
500°, 20 minutes in cloche, 10 min uncovered.
Best loaf yet!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Masterbaker!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Beautiful loaf!!  Strong work brother Q!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice loaf. I'm still working on that kind of oven spring. 

seems like the higher temp did good things. Did you punch it down and let it rise a second time before baking?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thanks to @SciAggie for the 500° idea and to @Caliking for the 5 hours. I was doing 400° and waiting at least 12hrs. This is better and faster!

I let it rise for 5 hours and dumped it out onto a bread board. Then, I dusted it and folded it over onto itself a few times until it was more or less a nice round ball. Covered it with a tea towel and waited until the oven was hot. Then, into the preheated cloche. One slash with the razor blade, cover and into the oven. After 20 min, dome off for 10 more minutes.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Masterbaker!!!!
    Thanks, but you may have misspelled that. =)
    bgebrent said:
    Beautiful loaf!!  Strong work brother Q!
    Thank you.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited November 2016
    @Carolina Q The color on that loaf is beautiful. It has a nice crumb also. I think it's great the way folks share and collaborate on this forum. I'm pushing my luck tomorrow - I have some dough fermenting that's 80% KA BF and 20% whole wheat. We'll see how it looks. 
    I'm glad the cloche works well for you. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    SciAggie said:
    @Carolina Q The color on that loaf is beautiful. It has a nice crumb also. I think it's great the way folks share and collaborate on this forum. I'm pushing my luck tomorrow - I have some dough fermenting that's 80% KA BF and 20% whole wheat. We'll see how it looks. 
    I'm glad the cloche works well for you. 
    Thanks!! Please post the results of your whole wheat loaf. Would live to see how it turns out.

The kicker is, I bought the cloche several YEARS ago, but only recently started using it! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie

The kicker is, I bought the cloche several YEARS ago, but only recently started using it! 
    The funny truth is - I did the same thing. It sat in a box for 15+ years; I started using it when I got the egg. I use the bottom for quiche, pie, roasts, etc.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    LOL, even I am not THAT bad!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nice crumb Michael  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Gonna dip your toes in the deep end for some high hydration sourdough next?  I've grown fond of a 88%-98% hydration. Takes practice to handle it for folding and shaping but the payoff is worth it no doubt.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    For some reason, sourdough has always intimidated me. Maybe one of these days.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,360
    I've never used sugar in a no knead recipie. How much did you use?

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Carolina Q
    @GlennM, I saw 1 tsp sugar listed in one of @caliking's posts a week or so ago. I had never tried it before either, but when it comes to bread, I'm a novice. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    @NPHuskerFL I'd like to work into sourdough. Whenever I push my hydration to 80% with regular dough I start losing my oven spring - they sag when I slash them. I'd like a discussion about how you make sourdough sometime. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Thanks for sharing looks delicious.
    LBGE
    AL

• @Carolina Q That looks fantastic.  Maybe a silly question but are you doing this on the Egg or inside oven?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Wow!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Looking good!  Sourdough is a challenge.  Give it a try.  Fermenting sourdough overnight in the frig followed by a long proof makes a big difference.  www.thefreshloaf.com is a good place for information.  Recently I baked in the egg- sourdough breakfast sticks.     
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Whats your mix?  I am making a loaf today to sit overnight for tomorrow.  When I did this last weekend I ran 400 in oven for 30, and 10 in egg topless to finish- best batch I ever made.

I only let it sit ~7 hrs and it was sticky as he%% to work with.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Carolina Q

@Carolina Q That looks fantastic.  Maybe a silly question but are you doing this on the Egg or inside oven?
    Thank you. Not silly at all. I don't recall ever baking bread in the egg. I used to do pizza in it, but when I discovered that they were every bit as good and much easier to do in the oven, I started baking pizza inside. Later, when I decided to try baking bread, I just naturally went to the oven. I know plenty of people who use Dutch ovens for egged bread, though I'm not sure about the cloche. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Thanks, Clay. Sourdough is on my list.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    @Carolina_Q Here is the loaf I cooked this morning. 20% whole wheat, 80% KA BF, 75% hydration. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    xfire_ATX said:
    Whats your mix?  I am making a loaf today to sit overnight for tomorrow.  When I did this last weekend I ran 400 in oven for 30, and 10 in egg topless to finish- best batch I ever made.

I only let it sit ~7 hrs and it was sticky as he%% to work with.
    @xfire_ATX, yep, it's sticky, but I found that pouring it out of the mixing bowl onto a floured bread board and then dusting it with flour allows you to fold it a few times, front to back and side to side. It even starts to hold it's shape instead of forming a puddle.

I have always used this recipe...
    400 g bread flour
    350 g tap water (not warmed)
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1/4-1/2 tsp SAF instant yeast

Overnight or all day in a covered mixing bowl. Baked at 400° for 30 minutes, then 10 mins without the lid (either DO or cloche).

This latest loaf was the same except I added a tsp of sugar, increased yeast to 1 tsp and waited only 5 hours. Baked at 500° for 20 min + 10 uncovered.

Hope this helps.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    SciAggie said:
    @Carolina_Q Here is the loaf I cooked this morning. 20% whole wheat, 80% KA BF, 75% hydration. 
    Man, that looks awesome! 500°, 20/10?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie said:
    Man, that looks awesome! 500°, 20/10?
    500 degrees. 20 min under the cloche, 20 minutes out. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Very nice pics everyone! I have always used the artisan bread in 5 recipe which seems to be a much lower hydration. It's easy dough to handle, but what am I missing by not going higher?  What's the benefit?  Thanks in advance. 

Here is one that I made this morning. 

• Carolina Q
    SciAggie said:
    20 minutes out. 
    AHA!! So THAT'S how you get your bread so dark! 

@EggDan, that's a beautiful loaf! I have no idea how to compare. I've never tried the lower hydration. Perhaps someone else can chime in. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie said:
    20 minutes out. 
    AHA!! So THAT'S how you get your bread so dark! 

@EggDan, that's a beautiful loaf! I have no idea how to compare. I've never tried the lower hydration. Perhaps someone else can chime in. 
    On the precious loaves I cooked them 10 minutes out of the cloche. I cooked this one longer just to see what would happen. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This is not good. These last few threads have had me baking a lot more bread than I had been. Which means I'm eating a lot more of it!

I like wheat bread more, so I think I'll try yours @SciAggie . Looks really good. 75% hydration still, or did you have to adjust for the wheat flour?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.