Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mainegg's Camp Bread

Options
Haven't seen anyone do one of these in a while, so I thought I'd bump this. A few years ago, Mainegg (Julie) on the old forum started a great thread on baking a very simple but delicious no knead bread. She called it Camp Bread. I just took a fresh loaf out of the oven, but of course, they do well in the egg too. That's certainly where Jules did hers!

Anyway, here are a couple of mine (though not today's)...

And a different loaf inside...

Here's how to do it...
http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1253483&catid=1

I recommend a small CI DO (I think mine's a 2 qt) as the dough is very wet and tends to spread out too much in a larger DO. Give it a shot. Very easy way to try your hand at bread baking. And it makes a delicious, crusty bread!

Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great stuff and so easy even I can make...lol

Adding fresh sliced jalapeños and cheddar cheese is my favorite.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I hear ya. I bake bread from time to time - different types too, not just this bread - but when people start talking about terms like poolish or preferment, my eyes glaze over! As Jules said though, this bread is "stupid simple"! Mix some stuff, let it sit for a while, dump it in a pot and bake it.

I've never added anything to it like cheese or herbs, etc. Just plain old bread. I'll have to branch out a bit. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Beautiful guys.

Nice post Q.  The butter in the holes...damn. Those pics are perfect.
    I need to try this.

Picked up the first edition of Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day at the library.  Seems like a cool, easy, concept.  Whipped up the Master Recipe this morning, really wet too.  A little concerning for the cloche, but we'll see. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Brandon. I mixed this batch in the bread machine, just to see what would happen. Accomplished nothing. I still had to leave it in a bowl to rise overnight. Just do what Julie said.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice bump brother Q!  Appreciate it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options

It's been a few years since I saw this, thanks for the bump....

LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Q....not tried bread on the ol egg as yet. I think I just may have to now. I appreciate that kick in the butt.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Q....not tried bread on the ol egg as yet. I think I just may have to now. I appreciate that kick in the butt.
    hahaha, don't think I have either. Don't see how it matters much. It bakes in a covered DO for 30 minutes. Then 10 more uncovered to brown. So only 10 minutes of real egging. Does that matter? Dunno.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    hahaha, don't think I have either. Don't see how it matters much. It bakes in a covered DO for 30 minutes. Then 10 more uncovered to brown. So only 10 minutes of real egging. Does that matter? Dunno.
    ....well of course....its an Egg Forum. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ....well of course....its an Egg Forum. ;)
    LOL, touché.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Tweaked the recipe a bit and baked  a loaf tonight. Turned out well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Also makes the best grilled sandwich...
    That looks great! So much better than a loaf of grocery store white bread!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

caliking said:
    Thanks for posting this. Tweaked the recipe a bit and baked  a loaf tonight. Turned out well.
    That looks good! How did you tweak? I would have thought the dough too wet for a banneton.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

caliking said:
    That looks good! How did you tweak? I would have thought the dough too wet for a banneton.
    An overnight or all-day rise doesn't really work for me. I happened to be home for lunch, so I tweaked it by adding yeast 1 tsp, sugar 1 tsp, kosher salt 1 tsp to bread flour 3 cups, then tap water 1.5 cups. Let it rise about 5 hours, then opened up the bag and added enough flour until it was just dry enough to not stick to everything. Popped it in a well-floured banneton for 30 mins, then baked it ina  CIDO. 

This was one of the best quick bread recipes I've tried, so I'm definitely doing it again. I may let it rise for 1 hr in the banneton next time. It makes fantastic toast!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    caliking said:

caliking said:
    An overnight or all-day rise doesn't really work for me. I happened to be home for lunch, so I tweaked it by adding yeast 1 tsp, sugar 1 tsp, kosher salt 1 tsp to bread flour 3 cups, then tap water 1.5 cups. Let it rise about 5 hours, then opened up the bag and added enough flour until it was just dry enough to not stick to everything. Popped it in a well-floured banneton for 30 mins, then baked it ina  CIDO. 

This was one of the best quick bread recipes I've tried, so I'm definitely doing it again. I may let it rise for 1 hr in the banneton next time. It makes fantastic toast!
    Thanks. Your crust and texture look different. I keep meaning to buy a banneton, but somehow haven't yet. I'd like to try this.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut