Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Listeria from Blue Bell

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
So, I've been MIA lately.  I've been working on the purchase of our business and I caught Listeria from Blue Bell ice cream (cookie two step) and have had a pretty epic battle with it. I had typical food poisoning type symptoms but they continued for 2 weeks even through a course of antibiotics.

I thought I was getting better I'm now getting random bacterial infections in my joints.  In the most random places. Right now I can't move my index finger on my right hand for the pain. Very strange stuff. I'm not positive it's related, but sure seems strange. On cipro now hoping to finally end this!!!

Miss you guys! DON'T EAT BLUE BELL ICE CREAM! 
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Man that's crazy. I hope you get better soon. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Apparently there is a 20% mortality rating for clinical diagnosis of this crap.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Good luck
    South Buffalo, New York
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Yep. Its super dangerous for the old folks, young kids, and already sick folks. I havnt had any since they've been back. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Crap!  Say it's not so. Is this after they are back up?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Crap!  Say it's not so. Is this after they are back up?
    Yep.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/21/news/companies/blue-bell-ice-cream-recall-listeria/

and of course I buy the winner!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your listeria battle...because I really like Blue Bell. Blows my mind that they are having these problems.
    Hope you kick it soon and are back here on a regular basis.
    Take care...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Holy **** man. So sorry to hear that. We grew up with Blue Bell but stopped touching it after the first round of listeria broke out. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,173
    Options
    Wowza!  Glad you are improving.  Listeria is no joke.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Good to hear from you Grim, your absence was noticed.  

Get better, and I hope the business stuff is wrapping up as you hoped.

Phoenix 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Damn.  Glad you are back to feeling better.  I hope your case was reported to the health department.  
    This outbreak could be the nail in Blue Bells coffin.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Glad you are back and hope you get better soon. From what I heard, it's in the cookie dough this time. It's supplied from a different company. At least this time they didn't wait for people to die before doing a recall.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,219
    Options
    www.marlerclark.com

Go ahead and order another Shirley. You're about to get paid. 

Glad you're okay Grim. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Glad you are back and hope you get better soon. From what I heard, it's in the cookie dough this time. It's supplied from a different company. At least this time they didn't wait for people to die before doing a recall.
    Publix brand ice cream was involved in that recall as well. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Holy crap grim. That's horrible. Hang in there. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,589
    Options
    WOW!!! Sorry to hear about your bout of listeria.. I did notice you had been MIA lately.. Get well soon and take it easy.. Cheers John.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I think it is awful what has happened to you. I am glad you are pulling through, and please keep up the medical regimine get that stuff out of your system completely.
    Great that you are back.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    So, I've been MIA lately.  I've been working on the purchase of our business and I caught Listeria from Blue Bell ice cream (cookie two step) and have had a pretty epic battle with it. I had typical food poisoning type symptoms but they continued for 2 weeks even through a course of antibiotics.

I thought I was getting better I'm now getting random bacterial infections in my joints.  In the most random places. Right now I can't move my index finger on my right hand for the pain. Very strange stuff. I'm not positive it's related, but sure seems strange. On cipro now hoping to finally end this!!!

Wow. Get well soon man 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Listeria is miserable. I don't know if I'll actually contact blue bell about it. I did keep the carton with the rest of the ice cream in it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Listeria is miserable. I don't know if I'll actually contact blue bell about it. I did keep the carton with the rest of the ice cream in it.
    You really need to report it. This stuff is critical to keeping our food supply safe. They need to know every case so they can track it all down and stamp it out. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I'm serious. Call Marler Clark. You'll be glad you did. You're giving away tens of thousands of dollars if you don't. 
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    This is the 2nd major episode for Blue Bell then, if my memory serves me right.  I used to eat it a lot, but quit after the first outbreak, even though I was not directly affected.  This would be the 2nd big one even after they shut down, cleaned, etc.  They must have several folks not following procedures
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    Listeria is one rough way to go on a weight loss program. I've been avoiding Blue Bell for years. Ever since I noticed that they use corn syrup instead of sugar.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That is scary. That's one reason I try to make everything from scratch in my own kitchen. Take care of yourself and get well soon @Thatgrimguy.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options

Ask your doctor if you could possibly be suffering from Reactive Arthritis following the infection.
    Gittin' there...
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better soon!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Feel Better soon Grim. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    unfortunately this time, the source was the provider of the cookie stuff. Not in-house. I convinced that all food processors should go through a mandatory bi-annual deep clean operations.  Where they shut down everything and do a top-to-bottom cleaning more so than any daily cleanings they may do.  
  • gonepostal
    Options
    Wow! I'm done with Blue Bell. Get well...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Sorry you have been so sick. I hope you get over this soon. 
    New Orleans LA