Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Praise for the Mother Ship

Options
Been having issues with the lid on my xl for a while.  Has been binding and difficult to close and open.  The other night during a cook, the lid popped open and I could not get it closed.  Needless to say the cook finished in the oven.

Come to find out I should have been doing a little maintenance on the rear hinges, which I was not doing.  Anyways along with not being able to close it, one the band bolts also broke.  Tried to call the dealer I go it from and the guy is out until next week. 

Sent a email to the Mother Ship and 15 minutes later and email back with what I should have been doing (little maintenance) and the procedure to fix the issue.  To top it off, they are also sending me hardware pack to fix the broken bolt.

Great product, great service and great people.

Thanks,
James

Comments

• coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    What is the maintenance?
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    The rear hinged needs to be lubed up. Below is the test from the email:

If your XL Egg is difficult to open or close, the grill is telling you it is time to perform some preventative maintenance.  Over time the hinges will tighten up each time the hinge assembly is opened and closed.  The XL has (2) side hinge assemblies and (2) rear hinge assemblies.  There is a linkage bar connecting the upper and lower brackets on each hinge.  There are (2) nuts and bolts on each of these linkage arms.  Make sure each nut is completely tight, then back (loosen) it off ¼ turn.  Apply lubricating oil ( 3 in 1 oil or gun oil) or graphite powder to each of those pivot points and work the hinge.  DO NOT USE WD40.  This adjustment should let your hinge work normally again.  Do this on a yearly basis to keep the hinge assembly in good operating condition. 

Once you have lubricated and adjusted the hinges, check the placement of the black bands and  tightness of the carriage bolts.   To move the bands on an XL Egg you must first remove the springs.  When the bottom band is too far down, it can cause the dome set back on the base and you start losing the adjustability of the side hinges.  The bottom band needs to be mounted 1/4” below the bottom gasket.   Make sure the bottom band is level and tighten its carriage bolt until the ends of the black bands are about ¾” apart.  Next make sure the top band is level and tighten its carriage bolt the same amount.  The placement of the top band is not as crucial.  Just make sure the band is level and tighten its carriage bolt the same amount.

Check the placement of your bands and tightness of all fasteners at least once a year to keep the grill in safe operating condition. 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    3 in 1 oil? How old are these guys? 
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    i thought everyone had a small can of that in their garage from their father
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    yljkt said:
    I tell you what my brother, when I was a kid I used 3 in 1 oil many, many times to keep a Daisy BB gun working in top order. It was a real life saver for the ole Daisy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Doesn't 3 in 1 oil come in an all metal retangular can, almost like repurposed sardine can? Anyway, that was great stuff
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Options
    SGH said:
    yljkt said:
    I tell you what my brother, when I was a kid I used 3 in 1 oil many, many times to keep a Daisy BB gun working in top order. It was a real life saver for the ole Daisy.  
    For everything that creaked, stuck, or worked better when it was slick, when I was a kid. There was always a can in the garage and the on the workbench.
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    That is hysterical. I have one on my bench and it was from my father when I moved into my house 16 years ago.   If I remember, I will send a picture tonight.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    3 in 1 oil is a member of the WD 40 family. I still buy and use it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Jameson19 said:
    Doesn't 3 in 1 oil come in an all metal retangular can, almost like repurposed sardine can? Anyway, that was great stuff
    It's now plastic - at least the one I bought last week at Lowes
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    won't be the same without that sound squeezing the metal cam made...
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    OT - but WD40 was supposed to be a follow-on/better WD39.  WD39 was a spray can that would displace water on electronic gear.  Used it many, many years ago.  I had a power supply motherboard that had been doused with ketchup and promptly quit working.  I took it to the shop, soaked it in hot water and cleaned off the red goo, then sprayed liberally with WD39, air-hosed it off  and plugged it back in and WAHLAH!!! Power. The problem was that WD40 had more of a lubricant property that a WD property. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    OT - but WD40 was supposed to be a follow-on/better WD39.  WD39 was a spray can that would displace water on electronic gear.  Used it many, many years ago.  I had a power supply motherboard that had been doused with ketchup and promptly quit working.  I took it to the shop, soaked it in hot water and cleaned off the red goo, then sprayed liberally with WD39, air-hosed it off  and plugged it back in and WAHLAH!!! Power. The problem was that WD40 had more of a lubricant property that a WD property. 
    ? Never heard of WD 39.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    Options
    Many years ago, I kept my bicycle sparkling with that 3 in 1 oil.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I can remember spraying WD-40 on and in distributor caps. WD means Water Displacement. I can remember points and condensor ignition. And setting dwell curves. And filing points with swmbo'd emery board. Not fond memories lol...drive thru a puddle and get stuck. Wow I'm getting old. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Agreed.  Every person I have ever been in contact with at Corporate has been wonderful.  Excellent over the phone or via email.
    In my limited time visiting the store, the employees have been outstanding. Over and above.  Great company and people.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    You'd think by now somebody would have come out with a 4 in 1 oil....
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    fruitguy said:
    That is hysterical. I have one on my bench and it was from my father when I moved into my house 16 years ago.   If I remember, I will send a picture tonight.

Just remembered to get a pic.  So it took me a few days....

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.