Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question - Yeti Hopper (30) owners who have air travel experience with the cooler.......

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks....and wish to travel with my Hopper 30 (packed....but not with ice, beverages or liquids ice packs). I am certain that it can be checked with baggage....but curious if anyone has been successful with it as a carry on? Note I will be flying on  large plane and not commuter size overhead compartments. Any experiences good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I believe you can carry-on, but no ice packs. I would have the cooler packed but with no liquids/ice packs, and then once I got through security, I would go to the food court or restaurant and ask them to put ice in it. I did this on a fishing trip and it worked great. Check your size.. Yeti 30 might be pushing carry-on limits.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Yes, in a carry on, empty.  What is your concern - TSA or altitude?  It's a vacuum, so should be no problem with altitude if checked and cabin pressure is less of a change.  TSA lets all kinds of empty water containers through - in fact most airports are converting some drinking fountains to fill stations.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yes, in a carry on, empty.  What is your concern - TSA or altitude?  It's a vacuum, so should be no problem with altitude if checked and cabin pressure is less of a change.  TSA lets all kinds of empty water containers through - in fact most airports are converting some drinking fountains to fill stations.
    @Legume  My concern was really around the size as @Raymont mentions in his response. It does push the carry on size limits....and was curious if folks had been successful. My contents will not require ice or liquids....so should not be an issue with TSA....more worried about if the airlines have allowed it as a carry-on. I will will remove contents and use for its intended use (ice / beverages) at my destination. I should have been more clear.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Ok, I'm a huge idiot.  I see now where you said hopper.  I was thinking you were asking about the cup, really didn't understand the concern.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I would suspect you'd be fine. Worst case check the dimensions of the hopper with standard carry-on dimensions found on TSAs website.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @20stone I think did this for brisket camp. Brought some dirty hippie farm short ribs that were amazing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    It is larger than carry on bag limits.  Close enough that you might get it on, but could be refused.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Now if you had said ARTIC cooler there would have been a problem !!!! But YETI... No problemo
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Now if you had said ARTIC cooler there would have been a problem !!!! But YETI... No problemo
    John, you drinking already? ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • motsol
    motsol Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey, I carry my hopper on every other week traveling to the Bahamas. TSA and the airlines will let you on as long as the ice pack is still solid. I have a 2 hour drive to the airport in Florida and have had no problem bringing it through airport security with the Yeti Ice Packs and frozen meat. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

@motsol Hopper 20 or 30?  The 20 meets airline specs, the 30 not so much.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

@motsol Hopper 20 or 30?  The 20 meets airline specs, the 30 not so much.  
    He can't hear you, he's on the beach. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I took my Hopper30 as a carry on to B.F.E. Minnesota and it was great. I just packed with normal carry on stuff for a fishing trip. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I took my Hopper30 as a carry on to B.F.E. Minnesota and it was great. I just packed with normal carry on stuff for a fishing trip. 
    Thanks Michael....Was hoping to hear that from someone. I assume that was Delta?

• DoubleEgger
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks Michael....Was hoping to hear that from someone. I assume that was Delta?
    Yes sir. It fit in the overhead with no problem. It's going to be my vacation carry on from now on. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I think you should put a load of bourbon slushies in a blast chiller and try to freeze solid, then arrive extra early to get thru TSA and allow thaw time. You'd be the life of the flight, hippy. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Charlotte to Seattle. You reckon they would have to divert to let some off?

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    They'd be passed out in the aisles. Just drag them out of the way so the path to the johns is clear. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I think you should put a load of bourbon slushies in a blast chiller and try to freeze solid, then arrive extra early to get thru TSA and allow thaw time. You'd be the life of the flight, hippy. 
    Put them in the deep freezer overnight, throw them in the yeti 45. Check the 45 at the counter, put the bags of bourbon slushies it the tote, party on. Put whats left of the slushies back in the 45, then tou are golden.
    Rock on, dude.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @yukonron you are the smartest of the club of debauchry. I defer to you. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @theyolksonyou
    I bow to the master. No matter what I accomlish in the Club of Debauchery, I will never top having the Father in Law cutting my grass. 

I am not bitter.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    i think @20stone did something similar last year travelling to Brisket Camp in NOLA. He had a Hopper full of body parts that he carried on to his flight. Not sure what size though. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @theyolksonyou
    I bow to the master. No matter what I accomlish in the Club of Debauchery, I will never top having the Father in Law cutting my grass. 

I am not bitter.
    Hey, the MIL helps!

• YukonRon
    Options
    Long live the King.

I am not bitter.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I have been looking for my wife to cut mine.....oh, sorry I just woke up. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    I have been looking for my wife to cut mine.....oh, sorry I just woke up. 
    Yeah, I know Robin. Some guys just got it going on. 

I am not bitter.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    i think @20stone did something similar last year travelling to Brisket Camp in NOLA. He had a Hopper full of body parts that he carried on to his flight. Not sure what size though. 
    It was the big one.  No one hassled me about size (though it is right at the limit).  However, the TSA did give the contents a very close look (10 lbs of beef ribs, 10 lbs of beef cheeks and 10 lbs of boudin)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @20stone were you using the yeti or artic ice packs? 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Neither.  I didn't have any room left over.

However, the meat was all cold when it went in, and it was a short flight.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    edited July 2016
    Options
    20stone said:
    Neither.  I didn't have any room left over.

However, the meat was all cold when it went in, and it was a short flight.
    Nice. I'd love to start bringing packers back on work trips to Houston. 

I didnt know if ice packs were TSA friendly.