Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off Topic - Help me plan a trip from San Antonio to (not in) New Orleans with my son

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,846
Toward the end of August I will take a short (3 night) road trip from San Antonio to New Orleans to get my son moved to Tulane.  I don't need help figuring out where to eat BBQ in Texas along the way.  And I'm not looking for places to do stuff in NOLA as I figure we'll have several years to do that.  I'm looking for suggestions like going to Grand Isle - or Fontainebleu State Park - or something in Lake Charles or Baton Rouge (anything east of Houston).  We prefer rustic lodging and activities when possible (as long as the lodging has AC).

Thanks in advance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Some others like @nolaegghead should chime in with suggestions.

Take a cooler with you, and stop at this place on your way back.

http://www.beststopinscott.com/

Small mom and pop type of joint, all kinds of goodies,  besides boudin and fresh boudin balls, that will want to jump into your cooler and go home with you. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @caliking, but I'll be flying back with my wife.  However, I could see us stopping there on the way over to pick up some stuff to take to a quiet rustic place with a grill to spend a couple of days.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Or a day trip to Fountaineblu if you don't want to commit to Grand Isle.  I have plenty of fishing gear and you can get an out of state fishing license for a couple days at Academy or online if you're into fishing. 
    Options
    That's an even better idea! I remember getting a pretty good stuffed chicken the last time I was there. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's an even better idea! I remember getting a pretty good stuffed chicken the last time I was there. 
    I bought just about one of everything at Best Stop my last time through.
    3 different kinds of stuffed, boneless chicken. My Fav was the one I almost did not buy. It was stuffed with seasoned pork. It was diced/cubed pork, seasoned and then stuffed into the bird. It was better than the rest.
    The year before I took home a little from 4 different stores in the area. Best Stop was indeed the best of the ones I tried. Boudin was also excellent at Best Stop and my fav of the 4 places. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Dang, @nolaegghead, that's one helluva nice gesture!!!!  If I could convince my wife to do something like a rustic trip, I'd be calling you in a heartbeat!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My only recommendation included Bourbon, Bourbon St., and a dancer named Porsche...A father and son trip legends are made of...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    My only recommendation included Bourbon, Bourbon St., and a dancer named Porsche...A father and son trip legends are made of...
    I hope "don't tell mom" works better with college kids than young kids....
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Dang, @nolaegghead, that's one helluva nice gesture!!!!  If I could convince my wife to do something like a rustic trip, I'd be calling you in a heartbeat!
    I'm serious.  Boat is freshly serviced, everything works, starts every time and it's small enough to handle easily, deal with shallow water and big enough to go anywhere in the lakes and marshes.
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    And just how would you know about Porsche my sweet, gentle soul?  I better have a talk with Laura.....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    You could stop in at the Chicken Ranch but that's still in Texas :-)  Tulane is a great school and your son will get a fine education there. Just don't let him listen to Photo Egg and stay out of the Quarters. He might find some "Hen" scratchings on Pat O"Briens walls....fun times.... 
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    He's pretty good at "Don't tell mom" because he knows something really good almost always follows that phrase.

But more importantly, @nolaegghead, that is an INCREDIBLY generous offer.  I can't imagine we'll come up with a better option so let's plan on some variation of that.  We'll probably arrive August 20 (Saturday) and plan to get the boat back to you August 21 (Sunday) or August 22 (Monday) depending entirely on your schedule.

And I drove boats for a living in my youth so I'm pretty good at it.  And my in-laws have a Boston Whaler (looks almost identical to your boat minus the bow chair) so every summer I teach my son more about navigating the Atlantic side bays and marshes of Cape Cod where there are strong currents and 7 foot tides.  At this point, he takes the boat out on his own in those waters - so he's an asset as well.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    He's only 19 but when we went to NOLA to celebrate my daughter's 21st, we found a couple of bars on Bourbon St where he could get in and the girls selling test tube shots on the tray would come over to him and put the open ends of two test tubes in his mouth and the other ends in their own mouths and then have him bend down as they stood up taller to dump the shot in his mouth...

Mom was with us so we didn't find Porsche...

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    Some others like @nolaegghead should chime in with suggestions.

Take a cooler with you, and stop at this place on your way back.

http://www.beststopinscott.com/

Small mom and pop type of joint, all kinds of goodies,  besides boudin and fresh boudin balls, that will want to jump into your cooler and go home with you. 
    Outstanding head cheese there 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @nolaegghead -  that is a most impressive offering.  And I can tell it was not made under the influence of Mr. Williams.  Dang -  talk about stepping up way beyond any reasonable expectation.  
    I will have to temper my responses to your baiting liberal threads going forward, as long as the bit-h is not included therein.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Note:  This is a copied and pasted post that I wrote on the "You guys are a good bunch" thread:

@lousubcap,

"Yeah, it does seem a little too good to be true - unless you've actually paid attention to who he is and what he does.  Probably 90% of his posts here are just him helping people - helping them understand the thermodynamics of cooler and cookers - or the process of charcuterie - or whatever.  And he's met me and my son a couple of times, one of which was not egg related so we're not complete internet strangers. 

Don't get me wrong.  It's the most generous thing anybody has ever offered me.  But that's who he is.  And to be honest, it is the sort of act that my mom and her family would commit.  Once you were her friend (really acquaintance), anything she had was available to you.

The world needs more people like @nolaegghead and my mom."

This is new material:

And like my mom, he strives to be a thoughtful assessor of politics who tries to find the truth without blindly accepting the rhetoric of either party.

Crap, I'm starting to wonder if he and I are related.

San Antonio, TX

• Space_City_Egger
    Options
    Stop and eat at Darrells in Lake Charles. Beer and PoBoy. 
    Large

Houston,TX
  • Space_City_Egger
    Options
    Stop and eat at Darrells in Lake Charles. Beer and PoBoy. 
    I meant Sulphur, LA
    Large

Houston,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nola for the win! What an incredibly generous offer.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Boat will be in play at @thatgrimguy 's gig tomorrow, look for the pics.  I know Foghorn is experienced at boating and I will enjoy the story and the trip vicariously.  That's what it's all about in my book. 
    @nolaegghead: An incredibly generous offer. You are truly a kind soul.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @nolaegghead -  as much as you have invested in that rig, just make sure it does not become a one-off submarine.  :)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @nolaegghead -  as much as you have invested in that rig, just make sure it does not become a one-off submarine.  :)

Well hey! It was a sub at one time. That's how homie got it on the cheap!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Well hey! It was a sub at one time. That's how homie got it on the cheap!
    This is true.  My buddy Hudson bought it salvage - it sank.  I traded a BMW F800R for it.  Fortunately, it's like new now.  No plans for sinking on my itinerary.
    Options
    And here I thought I was special because nola egged Hot Pockets for me a couple of years ago... 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @caliking - you are very special, regardless of what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-i9GXbptog

edited August 2016
    Options
    Dan booked a 3 bedroom house with a gulf view, boat slip and a bbq grill on the bottom floor.  So we're ready to head out - I think we're gonna depart via boat from Myrtle Grove and head to west Grand Isle.  I charted the course below.

Options

San Antonio, TX