Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old school Meat Pie recipe wanted.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
A few years back I worked in a small town called Prarie States, Illinois. Just down the road in Lively Grove there was a real old school market called Wallers Meat Market. The place was a refreshing step back into time. The old man raised and slaughtered all the beef that was sold in his market. Whatever you wanted was cut from a primal or subprimal retrieved from an ancient walk in cooler. Hamburger meat was ground on the spot while you watched. 
With the history aside, he also sold a limited selection of food cooked there in the old market. One of his specialities was meat pies. Fellows when I say that they were far and away the best that I have ever eaten, I exaggerate none. They were simply incredible. To the eye the looked like large chicken pot pies. However there was no chicken in them. Beef, pork and some sort of sauce that he made. I have tried replicating the pies myself with no luck so far. With that said, does anyone have a killer meat pie recipe that they are willing to share? Thanks in advance.  
Oh, and if you ever find yourself near Lively Grove, pull into Wallers and try the meat pies for yourself. You will not be disappointed I assure you. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nothing to share, but I'm anxious to see what folks have to say on this topic. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    but I'm anxious to see what folks have to say on this topic. 
    Me too my friend. I sure hope that someone pulls an Ace out of the deck.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Sounds  better than Arrya's meat pie from Game of Thrones.
    I knew the title would open the door for many jokes. However "meat pie" is their name unfortunately. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Anything like the nachitoches meat pies in louisiana?  I feel dumb even asking. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Scottie...I've been a resident of this state of IL for 50 years now and have never heard of the towns you mentioned.  You sure it was IL? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Scottie, I may have an Ace for you.  With the caveat that I have not made her meat pies, this cookbook is written by the woman who started Hoosier Mama's pie shop in Chicago:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Mama-Book-Pie-Techniques/dp/1572841435

The recipe that looks closest to what you are looking for is Extra-Stout Beef Pie.  I am posting images of the recipe, but strongly recommend this book for pie people (meat and otherwise) and also very strongly recommend Hoosier Mama's to those visiting the City of Broad Shoulders.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SGH
    edited June 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    Scottie...I've been a resident of this state of IL for 50 years now and have never heard of the towns you mentioned.  You sure it was IL? 
    Google them my friend. I'm 100% sure. I worked and stayed there for almost 5 years. 
    Click on and enlarge the pic and read the sign. This is the very power plant that we built.  
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lively_Grove_Township,_Washington_County,_Illinois

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @20stone
    Thank you brother. That just may be the Ace that I'm looking for. Much appreciated my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Were they on the sweeter side?

Mincemeat pie was my grandpa's most very favorite.  They often used fruits with the meat.

Not at all what you would think, and not at all like the savory Shepherd-ish pot pie recipe above.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Someone say "meat pie"?

Scottie, you should check out "The Pie Man" in Gretna next time you're in town.
    Options
    Have you tried calling them and asking for the recipe?
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Around here we have a large french-canadian population. Those are the meat pies (tourtierres) that i am more familiar with. Not sure if your meat pies are that type, but if so, @fishlessman has been perfecting a recipe over the past few years. His recipe is virtually identical to the one my wife makes which is based on her mom's recipe

maybe fish will chime in 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Options
    SGH are you looking for a hot meat pie similar to a chicken pot pie or a cold meat pie like apple, cherry or such? If the later I have a mincemeat pie recipe from my grandmother that I can share.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @SGH

do they look similar to these. these are english meat pies, the sauce is more like a grease. they use alot of fat with the ground pork(ground butt), basically salt and pepper for the spice and you can simmer an italian sausage in low sodium chicken broth and use a turkey baster to add more into that hole towards the end of the cook(thats my improvement on a pie i buy three times a week).they used to add a grease broth years ago but all the folks could not get past the bite a hole, drink the grease, eat the pie so they stopped doing that unfortunately. the place near me makes thousands a day and people that moved away order several rtic coolers worth when back in the area =)

Photo of Thwaites Market

these are some of mine, beef/veal. lamb, sometimes raw sausage, just wining it with the added sauce, pretty good but ive never nailed the crust where you can eat it like a hostess dingdong

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    I hear this guys got a great recipe...

Chicago, Illinois
  • fishlessman
    Options
    more pies =)

tortiere

100_1700jpg

fiddlehead

100_1428jpg

chili

100_1287jpg

salmon with tomato dill sauce

100_0956jpg

i dont remember =)

a03d0156jpg

lamb sfeeha hot or cold =)

100_1550jpg

i cant find my gumbo pie pics =)

100_1678jpg

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    edited June 2016
    Options
    and this is the xmas tourtiere pie, a mix of my nanas and darbys wifes family recipe, pretty darn good with a ketchup frosting =) go really light on the allspice and cloves with this recipe if its not a spice you dont eat regularly

100_1701jpg

fukahwee maine

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    and this is the xmas tourtiere pie, a mix of my nanas and darbys wifes family recipe, pretty darn good with a ketchup frosting =) go really light on the allspice and cloves with this recipe if its not a spice you dont eat regularly

100_1701jpg

Looks very similar to a recipe my mom uses for the Holiday's.. A French Canadian recipe I believe.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    and this is the xmas tourtiere pie, a mix of my nanas and darbys wifes family recipe

tradition requires too that no matter how good or how close it is to what you remember, you still say "not bad.  but not as good as mom's"

of course, every generation says that.... :)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This may be my new favorite thread. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    and this is the xmas tourtiere pie, a mix of my nanas and darbys wifes family recipe

tradition requires too that no matter how good or how close it is to what you remember, you still say "not bad.  but not as good as mom's"

of course, every generation says that.... :)
    actually my great grandmothers pies were killer, grandmas pies were good, ma"s best dish was tv dinners =) my great gandmother had a marble slab chilling on the ice box for pie crust making, its all about the crust, i even have her dough box, i dont think anyone even knows what that is anymore =)

fukahwee maine

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    caliking said:
    This may be my new favorite thread. 
    could make for a new reality show "Scotties meatpie quest"

but might have to put it on cinemax after 11pm. 

Little Rock, AR

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    @fishlessman do you have a recipe for the chili pie?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    @fishlessman do you have a recipe for the chili pie?

.thicken your favorite chili with mesa harina,chill, put in pie crust and bake. have no clue what that particular chili was, could be cin chili that mickey sent me years ago. my chili is different everytime depending on what peppers i can find and its hot enough now that most cant eat it =)
    this was my last chili =)=)  it would be hard for most to eat a whole slice pie with this

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191807/mainiac-bowl-of-red/p1

fukahwee maine

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @20stone: OMG. That sounds fantastic! I'm a big fan of empanadas and Cornish pasties. I'll try this when the weather turns cold. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options

jlsm said:
    @20stone: OMG. That sounds fantastic! I'm a big fan of empanadas and Cornish pasties. I'll try this when the weather turns cold. 
    one of the really cool things about charcuterie, and this is a form of charcuterie, is that damn near every culture has a meat pie and a meat loaf

what a lot of people turn their nose up at, pate', is essentially a meat loaf. 

pate' en croute is a meat pie, or cornish pastie.... 

it's amazing (to me) what regional tastes or local ingredients can do to change the basic 'thing' (meat mixed with fat and some herbs or spices) from one thing to another.

• SGH
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Have you tried calling them and asking for the recipe?
    I actually have a friend (became friends when I was up there working) who lives right down the road from Wallers. He is good friends with the old man. He tried getting the recipe for me but to no avail. 

Status- Standing by.