Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Snapper (Japanese Style) Very easy

Options
tmiyazawa
tmiyazawa Posts: 7
Bought a huge Red Snapper from Costco.
Here is how I cooked:

Remove all scales from red snapper.
Put salt on both sides.
Preheat BGE at 400 degree.
Grill fish for 20 minutes at 400 degree (direct) and turn it over.
Wait another 20 minutes to 30 minutes or until fully cooked. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    The ole snapper, one of my very favorites. Great job brother.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fish looks great. Looks like they cut out the collar. Is that the way it came from Costco? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said: Looks like they cut out the collar. 
    This is a slick trick that fish mongers will do. Why? Because it is the best part of the fish (in my opinion) and they want it for themselves. Most mongers are notorious for this.   

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    This is a slick trick that fish mongers will do. Why? Because it is the best part of the fish (in my opinion) and they want it for themselves. Most mongers are notorious for this.   
    Right? Dirty bastards.  first thing I noticed. I bet they sell it to sushi restaurants or something. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    Right? Dirty bastards.  first thing I noticed. I bet they sell it to sushi restaurants or something. 
    That is certainly possible. However I would not be suprised if they are keeping it and eating it. Either way, it's a dirty trick for sure. 

Status- Standing by.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    They also do it because it is a really easy way to cut out the gills and later make it easier to filet/quarter the fish. When we catch tuna, we bleed it immediately. Once dead, off with the head at the collar and gut the thing. The head takes up too much room in the fishbox and I can submerse it in the salt slush to cool the fish and preserve the meat the fastest way when on a boat. Once separated, I will further separate and keep the collar, but it is a lot easier to spin and  move a 20-25 lb head than to move a 80-100 lb fish. 
    Why do it on a smaller fish?  The two best ways to tell fresh fish as most know are crystal clear eyes and bright red gills. If the gills are darker, they will remove them in a easy way that still makes the fish very presentable. 

That fish was cooked at 400 for 40 mins direct?  Seems long and hot for that fish.  Maybe not if it was that large...  Either way it looks delicious!!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    40-50 minutes direct at 400 for a fish!?!?!  I usually knock out mine indirect at 300 in less time!  Bring it to 140 internal and done!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tmiyazawa
    Options
    Fish looks great. Looks like they cut out the collar. Is that the way it came from Costco? 
    Yes. 

• tmiyazawa
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    They also do it because it is a really easy way to cut out the gills and later make it easier to filet/quarter the fish. When we catch tuna, we bleed it immediately. Once dead, off with the head at the collar and gut the thing. The head takes up too much room in the fishbox and I can submerse it in the salt slush to cool the fish and preserve the meat the fastest way when on a boat. Once separated, I will further separate and keep the collar, but it is a lot easier to spin and  move a 20-25 lb head than to move a 80-100 lb fish. 
    Why do it on a smaller fish?  The two best ways to tell fresh fish as most know are crystal clear eyes and bright red gills. If the gills are darker, they will remove them in a easy way that still makes the fish very presentable. 

That fish was cooked at 400 for 40 mins direct?  Seems long and hot for that fish.  Maybe not if it was that large...  Either way it looks delicious!!  
    It was a large fish. I cooked the snapper at 400 for 40 min but it tasted nice. I just bought my BGE a week ago and I am still new. How long do you usually grill fish at what temperature?
  • tmiyazawa
    Options
    40-50 minutes direct at 400 for a fish!?!?!  I usually knock out mine indirect at 300 in less time!  Bring it to 140 internal and done!
    I will try it next time. Thank you. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2016
    Options
    400℉ direct isn't necessarily a problem. I go lower but, that's preference. IT at about 140℉ as @Thatgrimguy stated...sometimes a little lower on the IT especially if it's super hot outside to allow for carryover. Just my .02
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tmiyazawa
    Options
    400℉ direct isn't necessarily a problem. I go lower but, that's preference. IT at about 140℉ as @Thatgrimguy stated...sometimes a little lower on the IT especially if it's super hot outside to allow for carryover. Just my .02
    OK. Thanks for the advice. 
  • EagleFan
    EagleFan Posts: 7
    Options
    How did you prepare the fish prior to wrapping in foil for cooking ?
     Looks great
  • tmiyazawa
    Options
    EagleFan said:
    How did you prepare the fish prior to wrapping in foil for cooking ?
     Looks great
    I just bought the fish from Costco and Costco cleaned up inside the fish.
    What I did was to just remove scales and put salts on the fish. Then, I wrapped some parts of the fish by foil because these parts could be burned easily.