Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever spatch yardbird indirect?

Options
I am thinking of going indirect for tonight's cook.  Nice costco birds are split and marinating right now.   Id like to do them indirect to prevent skin from getting black char, and to render more of the fat

Any input would be much appreciated

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    A lot of people here do. I have, but I prefer raised direct. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    It's my preferred method---I usually go indirect at 375-400 range and get great results
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I go indirect 99 percent of the time. It works like a charm. Especially if you run 375-425 degrees.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for feedback. If im sober tonite, and can figure out my new phone camera, i will post some picts here...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Indirect is how I do it too, but you need to run her hot to get decent, crisp skin; I try for 400 at least.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I think it was @Mickey mentioned this a few years ago - sorry if I'm giving him credit he doesn't deserve....
    If your rub has a high sugar content, indirect as noted above in the 400ºF range will cook but not char the skin too much. Regular rubs work fine direct and you can even flip the bird for more char/crispy skin if you want. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sorry, not me. Only direct and raised. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Sorry, not me. Only direct and raised. 
    You ole rogue ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Indirect? Have you heard heard of 'Brick' chicken? Skin side down, lay two bricks (wrapped in HDAF) on top, when the temp on your bird hits 145 or so take the bricks off and flip the bird over to finish. What you get is a nice even cook with great grill marks. It's fantastic eating.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I go both ways with spatch just depending on what I'm goin for.  One of favorites is to start the bird out around 250 indirect and let the temp creep up to 425 over the duration of the cook.  The texture is more like a slow roasted chicken but the skin is like potato chips.  But now I've got one on that is running about 4" above the felt and direct at 225°.  I'm going for of the open pit taste on this one.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    @Mattman3969 with "snatch" ? 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Options
    lol.  Fixed

analyze adapt overcome

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Always indirect for spatched for me...

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Botch said:
    Indirect is how I do it too, but you need to run her hot to get decent, crisp skin; I try for 400 at least.  
    conversely, you can get crisp skin by going low and long.  say 250 for four, five hours (depending on the size of the bird and how done you like the dark  meat).

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Gotta go with @darby_crenshaw on this one.  Depending on how you like the texture to be this is one of the better methods IMHO.  

analyze adapt overcome

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Botch said:
    conversely, you can get crisp skin by going low and long.  say 250 for four, five hours (depending on the size of the bird and how done you like the dark  meat).

I may try this sometime. Though it is Hard for me to justify spending 5 hours on a $5 piece of meat  that can taste pretty tasty in 45 minutes. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @bhedges1987 - I hear what your saying and thought the same thing. It's all in what you looking for out of the yardbird.  On occasion like today I want that o'l open pit taste that we made when I was a kid.  I've been trying forever to replicate that cook on my egg and finally got it about 2yrs ago.  I'm 2hrs into one right now.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I may try this sometime. Though it is Hard for me to justify spending 5 hours on a $5 piece of meat  that can taste pretty tasty in 45 minutes. 
    I also cook them in 45 minutes too

i don't generally do one thing over and over the same way all the time

plus, i'm guaranteed crisp skin after a low and slow. the 45 minutes version not always
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Spatched at 400 indirect is my preferred method. I've never had a problem with rubbery skin. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I go indirect 99 percent of the time. It works like a charm. Especially if you run 375-425 degrees.  
    Me too. Always over 400 though. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The best way is indirect with a pan of vegetables under the chicken. That way, you get yummy chicken and yummy vegetables cooked in chicken drippings.

Luddites, you direct proselytizers, Luddites all of you!
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    Me too. Always over 400 though. 
    Great minds think a like brother Tex. Or so they say. But they say a lot ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I always go indirect because I don't like the grease burning on the lump, it gives the chicken a nasty taste. Have done them hot and fast at 450 and low and slow at 250 when time allows and always great.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Ok so i had about five or six coctails tonite.  For me thats alot.  By mynthird ive got a buzz on.   I am not a heavy drinker but can cut loose once in a while, even ona school nite.   Anyway made twonspatch birds which will be posted here tomorrow with picts.  New smartphone makes me feel like an idiot.

Anyway the consensusnhere was indirect so thats what i did.  375 rock steady for a little over an hour.   Birds were perfect

Marinade was mckormick mesquite seasoning envelope, some white vinegar and the juice of three oranges off my tree.   Soaked all day and spatched perfectlynamd cookedn even better on the big green egg.   

Now, im about to pass out....