Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

From Bacon Seed to Bratwurst...a day on the farm

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
So I got a call from @20stone that he and his BIL were off on some hare-brained adventure and that for $400 I could play too. Soooo...I grabbed my wallet and headed out the door. What lay in store was a very interesting farm (their website said LGBT friendly, and I assure you that it was). They raise pasture raised Heritage pork supplemented with Milo. No bad stuff ever. If they have to give them any medicine of any kind, they cull those for personal use. Their motto is "Pork So Sweet Kermit Would Cheat".

Anyhow, I digress. We had apparently bought a hog, had it slaughtered and halved and it was waiting for us to butcher under the tutelage of Joanne. It was a great day of beer drinking, hog butchering, sausage making and general ass-hattery. Pig was 143lb hanging and we broke it all down and split it up 3 ways. Here are a few pics:

The Bacon Seeds. 5 day old piglets doing their thing. see you in 18 months!

The Guest of Honor with @20stone

Busting out some spares

Shank you very much!

Chorizo Mix

@20stone, sausage in hand...again.  Yes, we told more teen level tallywhacker jokes than I care to admit but each was more hilarious than the last :wink: 

The Haul: Ham, double cut chops, Jowels, Shanks, shoulder (making shoulder bacon for Salado), some gorund pork and a bunch of sausage (Chorizo and Brats). Best sausage I have ever eatn by a mile. Holy crap it was so good.

And finally- From Farm to table. Literally. This was an hour after we packed out and headed home. Hard days work but so much fun and it's really cool to know exactly where your food comes from, what it ate, the condition of its living area, and how it was handled. For any central TX peeps- this is a fun day. I'll gladly do it again. It may not be for everyone so if you aren't the tolerant type, find another spot that may be better for you. But who knows, you may just learn something by hanging out and cutting up pig parts for a day with people who live differently than you. I know I did. Thanks @20stone for putting this great day together for us. We win.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments