Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

16 inch stainless steel drip pan from Ceramic Grill Store

Options
I've been looking at this.  It looks like it fits perfectly inside the plate setter.  My question is, does it fit too good?  It looks like it would block all the openings and thus form a solid heat shield, making it difficult to get to a cooking temp?  Anyone own this care to chime in?  Am I over thinking this or would I be better off with a smaller model?  I have a large BGE.

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Can you provide pic?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Not sure about the 16", but I have a smaller one for the MM and it fits perfect. 16" should allow for plenty of airflow on the large. I think your biggest concern is going to be putting that shiny platter in the egg. It's like wearing brand new shoes in the mud. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    nth78 said:
    Looks perfect. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Not sure about the 16", but I have a smaller one for the MM and it fits perfect. 16" should allow for plenty of airflow on the large. I think your biggest concern is going to be putting that shiny platter in the egg. It's like wearing brand new shoes in the mud. 
    Line it with foil, easy clean up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    Options
    DMW said:
    stemc33 said:
    I do, but it's still hard using something so nice to catch grease. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    DMW said:
    stemc33 said:
    I do, but it's still hard using something so nice to catch grease. 
    That's why I use these in my XL:
    http://www.therestaurantstore.com/durable-packaging-18ft-18-round-foil-catering-tray-5-pack/99918FT.html

I'm so cheap I even line these with foil and re-use until they are really nasty.

They also have 16":
    http://www.therestaurantstore.com/durable-packaging-16ft-16-round-foil-catering-tray-5-pack/99916FT.html

As an FYI, The Restaurant Store is the Brick and Mortar sister store to webstrauntstore.com and the same inventory can be found there as well. 50 count packs are stocked as well.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/durable-packaging-16ft-16-round-foil-catering-tray-5-pack/99916FT.html

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    What size egg are you using it for?  If it's a large, then Tom says it works great.  I've been using a 14" CGS pan, but will try the 16" next time one is needed for a cook.

Yep, it's hard at first to use those in the egg ... they look so pretty!!! 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have the 16 inch in my Large.  Cover with foil, it fits and works great. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    XC242 said:

When doing a low and slow for 12+ hours, would it be better to use stainless?  I've heard aluminum emits stuff when heated.  

Is anyone concerned about this?  If not, I like the look and price of that pan you posted.

Phoenix 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Don't know. First time I ever heard this. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:
    XC242 said:

When doing a low and slow for 12+ hours, would it be better to use stainless?  I've heard aluminum emits stuff when heated.  

Is anyone concerned about this?  If not, I like the look and price of that pan you posted.

Brother blasting, I have had no issues at all with the aluminum pans. They are actually sold as deep dish pizza pans, so unless you cook at a insanely high temp, all will be fine my friend. I gave one of the pans to the @Biggreenpharmacist while he was down and as far as I know he has not had any issues with his either. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    blasting said:
    XC242 said:

That's why I avoid aluminum as much as possible.   Stainless is GOOD but probably $$$
  • blasting
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I've spent a little time looking into this tonight, and it appears aluminum drip pans are completely safe.  Aluminum cookware is even arguably safe.  Some types of veggies can draw out higher percentages of aluminum into the food, but in this case we aren't talking about cooking in the pan - just using it as a drip pan.

The verdict is I'm going with an aluminum pan and will hopefully get something similar to the link provided for about $6 at RD tomorrow.  That compared to about $16 plus $11 shipping for the stainless.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:
     I've spent a little time looking into this tonight, and it appears aluminum drip pans are completely safe.  Aluminum cookware is even arguably safe.  
    They are perfectly safe my friend. You will get far more aluminum from some antacids than you ever will from cooking with aluminum pots and pans. If you doubt this, do a little digging into it.  When cooking at normal temps for meat on your egg, you will never seriously approach the melting point of aluminum. (1,200 degrees F). I still use large aluminum stock pots that was my grandmothers to this day. Go to any crawfish festival and look around. 95% of all the pots are..... You guessed it, aluminum. Look at all the deep frying pans and boiling pots sold by Bayou Classic, Vollrath and King Kooker, just to name a few that come to mind. Again, aluminum. Check out the latest fad in the seafood boiling circuit right now, Cajun Rocket Pot. Again, aluminum. The list just goes on and on my friend. The aluminum pot or pan is no worse than cooking over wood or a wood product. To be honest, it's not as bad. You can find something wrong or supposedly unsafe with just about anything if want to. All of my big outdoor boiling pots are aluminum. As are my deep frying pots. If I had to bet good money, that 5 gallons of grease that I use to deep fry with is far worse for me than the aluminum pot holding it. Just my thoughts my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    Options
    Based upon what you say @sgh , and all the stuff I read, I'm sold completely.  

No need to go stainless.

Phoenix 
  • Little Steven
    Options

In larger Indian markets you can get various sizes of stainless platters for around $3.99. I'll post a pic on this thread tonight

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    nth78 said:
    I've been looking at this.  It looks like it fits perfectly inside the plate setter.  My question is, does it fit too good?  It looks like it would block all the openings and thus form a solid heat shield, making it difficult to get to a cooking temp?  Anyone own this care to chime in?  Am I over thinking this or would I be better off with a smaller model?  I have a large BGE.
    I have one.  Fits fine in a large BGE plate setter.  Air flow is not an issue.  I line mine with Aluminum foil for easy cleanup.  These were made as serving trays and as such they are not very deep.  If you are one who likes to put liquids in their drip pans these would not be good, but work fine for catching drips from what you are cooking.  Over time the nice shiny mirror finish has taken on a smoke finish and I would no longer serve apps from it to my guests.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the ceramic grill store pan is pretty shallow, its a great pan but if there is alot of grease you might want one deeper, especially for those that put liquid in the drip pan
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    the ceramic grill store pan is pretty shallow, its a great pan but if there is alot of grease you might want one deeper, especially for those that put liquid in the drip pan

True dat. The ones I got in the Indian market are about an inch and a half deep. Pretty thick too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @nth78   Just to give you some visuals:

This is what the pan will look like after being used for a while:

Before using, I line it with aluminum foil:

I use a cake cooling rack as a spacer between the plate setter and the drip pan:

Drip pan fits nicely on the plate setter and leaves plenty of room around the sides for air flow:

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options

I use a cake cooling rack as a spacer between the plate setter and the drip pan:

Drip pan fits nicely on the plate setter and leaves plenty of room around the sides for air flow:

I use the spider I got into AR set up, for air gap. Works great!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    jabam said:

I use the spider I got in my AR set up, for air gap. Works great!

edit:

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I use the 16" from CGS with a couple of steel nuts to keep it raised off the plate setter and it has been great.

Now with that said, we are all getting poisoned.
    http://conscious-cook.com/hidden-dangers/
  • Little Steven
    Options

Here is the Indian one beside the CGS one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options

Thank you very much for the pics.  Definitely helps to see one in the wild :) Would you recommend this pan or a deeper one?
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options

Where do you get the Indian one?
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    @dmw Thanks for the links to the Webstaurantstore !

@sgh and @xc242 Thank you!  Will order some of these 16X2

(I have the CGS stainless drip pan for my small, wrap it in foil and use it for all of my indirects there.  Fond a great 15" stainless pizza pan during my one and only shopping experience at restaurant depot.  It has worked great!

However, I do find that during some of those butt and brisket cooks, a deeper pan will work better.  So, off to the Webstaurantstore!

Thanks everyone great discussion!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    nth78 said:

Where do you get the Indian one?

I got three of them at an Indian market for $3.99 ea. I don't know what they are used for, maybe a thali serving dish, but maybe Cali or Canugghead could help.

Steve 

Caledon, ON