Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My best Turtle Eggs Thus Far

Options
Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited August 2015 in Appetizers
I do believe we have finally perfected the "Turtle Egg" (no actual turtles nor their eggs were cooked). The trick is to regrind the sausage to loosen it up then get it good and cold. It makes it less sticky to work with and makes for a better seal. It also helps to keep the smoker at 225° (no higher than 230°) to keep the cheese filling from bubbling out.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Did you clip that photo from a mag? Look so perfect. Nice
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Recipe?  Looks awesome!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Parallel
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Recipe?  Looks awesome!
    Sure.

2lb      (2 tubes) favorite breakfast sausage
    1lb      cream cheese (softened)
    (3)       whole jalapenos
    1 cup  shredded cheddar cheese
    2 tbs   favorite dry rub spice

Seed and remove the membrane and dice the jalapenos. Add the diced  jalapenos and a tbs of dry rub spice to the softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl. mix to incorporate, but not too much. using a 1/2 ounce scoop, makes 1/2oz balls of the cheese mixture and place on a sheet pan in the refrigerator. While waiting for the cheese balls to cool, run the sausage through a grinder to loosen it up and make a bit of a finer texture. Return the reground sausage to the refrigerator as well. The colder you can have the cheese ball and the sausage the better, as it makes them easier to work with (less sticking).

Once the cheese balls and sausage have cooled,  divide the sausage into 20 equal parts (approximately 1.5 oz each). flatten the 1.5 oz sausage in your hand (working quickly as to not arm it up with the heat from your hand) and place a cheese ball in the center. Wrap the sausage around the cheese ball making certain to completely cover the cheese ball. Place on a sheet pan and sprinkle dry rub seasoning on the outside of the turtle eggs to taste.

I use the Big Green Egg and Tabasco Wood Chips to smoke them at 225° - 250° for 90 minutes. Let them rest for ten minutes before serving.

• Smokehouse33
    Smokehouse33 Posts: 185
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nice recipe! Gotta try it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I like this it's pretty darn cool!  Great color on em too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great.  Thanks for all the detailed instructions.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tailg8ers
    Options
    Those look awesome!  and thanks for the recipe - did you cook direct or indirect?  Looks like these are going on our must have tailgate menu!
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Looks great to me, but if you were feeding my my wife and middle daughter. They would accuse you of under cooking. The one you cut open in teh pic looks pink on the right side.  They are very picky eaters.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That could be a smoke ring @Tiger Tony although after zooming in, I'm not sure.

Those eggs look great. Nice job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Parallel
    edited August 2015
    Options
    They're definitely NOT under cooked, smoke ring. These were cooked indirect.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Parallel said:
    smbishop said:
    Recipe?  Looks awesome!
    Sure.

2lb      (2 tubes) favorite breakfast sausage
    1lb      cream cheese (softened)
    (3)       whole jalapenos
    1 cup  shredded cheddar cheese
    2 tbs   favorite dry rub spice

Seed and remove the membrane and dice the jalapenos. Add the diced  jalapenos and a tbs of dry rub spice to the softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl. mix to incorporate, but not too much. using a 1/2 ounce scoop, makes 1/2oz balls of the cheese mixture and place on a sheet pan in the refrigerator. While waiting for the cheese balls to cool, run the sausage through a grinder to loosen it up and make a bit of a finer texture. Return the reground sausage to the refrigerator as well. The colder you can have the cheese ball and the sausage the better, as it makes them easier to work with (less sticking).

Once the cheese balls and sausage have cooled,  divide the sausage into 20 equal parts (approximately 1.5 oz each). flatten the 1.5 oz sausage in your hand (working quickly as to not arm it up with the heat from your hand) and place a cheese ball in the center. Wrap the sausage around the cheese ball making certain to completely cover the cheese ball. Place on a sheet pan and sprinkle dry rub seasoning on the outside of the turtle eggs to taste.

I use the Big Green Egg and Tabasco Wood Chips to smoke them at 225° - 250° for 90 minutes. Let them rest for ten minutes before serving.

Thank you so much!!!  @Parallel
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Parallel
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Thank you so much!!!  @Parallel
    My pleasure. :)