Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef rib question

Options
First time trying ribs.  Put these beef ribs on about 2 hours ago, lightly rubbed with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.  Have been going indirect raised in the dome, between 225 and 250 with some hickory.  
Is it better to leave them naked until the end, or foil with some apple juice for a couple of hours?   I've looked at a lot of posts here that suggest foiling (3-2-1) but those seem to be mainly for pork ribs.  The recipe at Amazing Ribs says not to foil beef ribs.  Is 3-2-1 just for pork ribs?  

Comments

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    You can foil if you want too but it is not necessary. I usually do about the same temp as you and depending on how meaty they are I'll usually go about 5 to 6 hours 
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you don't need to foil them but you are in for 6 hour cook at 225-250. you need to get up closer to 300 if you want to eat before 10.

I don't wrap any ribs FWIW. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,867
    Options
    It's probably fair to say that it is rarely - if ever? - done on beef ribs.  That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good idea.  If you try it, let us know how it goes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,516
    Options
    Great score with the ribs.  Most everything you read about ribs is as you sorted out "pork". I would run as above without the foil but if time is a factor, then wrap with some Worcestershire sauce and ride it home.  Beef ribs, beat their pork cousins any day of the week.  Enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks all.  Related question:  slather with sauce for the end of the cook, or just ride it out dry and sauce on the plate if needed?  
    lousubcap Posts: 32,516
    Options
    My vote is no sauce and enjoy the goodness at the end of the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Oh no no no on the sauce!!! Beef ribs are in a class of their own and need no sauce.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, beef ribs are in a class of their own ... no sauce, no foil, no futzing ... just faith in riding it out until the the goodness appears.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    A lot of folks like to finish beef ribs with a braise or a wrap. I myself do not.  I have got away from wrapping except for a very few items. At the end of the day it's a personal choice. I chose not to do so.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If they are really meaty, I like to braise them in beef broth in a foil pan for about an hour and then put back on the grid to tighten up. To each his own, but thats what works best for me. 

Little Rock, AR

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.  Didn't sauce, ribs came out great. Will post the cook in a new thread.  
    MrMike Posts: 10
    Options
    SGH do you marinate the beef ribs? how long? fav recipe for marinade?